What's new

Violence against women now criminal offence in Pakistan

RayKalm

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Violence against women now criminal offence in Pakistan - World - NZ Herald News

Pakistan's Senate on Monday passed a bill that makes violence against women and children an offence carrying jail terms and fines, state media said.

SCCZEN_AP120220050814_220x147.JPG

Women take part in rally titled 'Empowered Women, Strong Pakistan', Feb. 19, 2012 in Karachi, Pakistan. The rally organized by Pakistan's ruling coalition Muttahida Qaumi Movement to boost women's roll in country's politics. Photo / AP

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Pakistan makes domestic violence criminal offence - Yahoo! News

"Now"?

According to the article, "Previously, if a man beat her wife or children, police could not arrest him and it was considered a domestic affair." Does that mean that with the new law a wife could still get away with beating her husband as it's just a domestic affair and men aren't covered in the law?

thats exactly what i was thinking....

anyways...its good that they are moving in right direction

der aaye durust aaye...

i appreciate pakistan for this...n if they are able to implement it well...hats off

India isn't much different when it comes to violence against women.

Actually there was no law in the U.S that made violence specifically against women and children a crime 50 years ago either. Besides its more sane a law than barbaric anti-constitutional 'laws' such as the NDAA. So in that regard, Pakistan is ahead of the U.S.

India isn't much different when it comes to violence against women.

I know that there is plenty of violence against women in India, but isn't it at least illegal in India? If not, shame on India.

Actually there was no law in the U.S that made violence specifically against women and children a crime 50 years ago either. Besides its more sane a law than barbaric anti-constitutional 'laws' such as the NDAA. So in that regard, Pakistan is ahead of the U.S.

That's cause the U.S. doesn't need such a law. Violence against anyone, including women and children, is a crime (it's called battery in most cases). And while the 2012 NDAA is certainly barbaric and should be criticized, it has nothing to do with domestic violence, so it's off topic.

America doesn't need such a law now, for many years wife-beating has been considered battery and forced intercourse with your wife or maid is just like rape, a criminal offense. (Though in the beginning the Pilgrims had a rule: you can't beat your wife with a stick larger in diameter than your thumb.)

I mention this because there are too many Muslims in the U.S. who aren't aware of the law. A very rich Saudi "student" (he lived in a mansion with his wife & kids) by the name of Turki is serving 20 years in jail in Colorado for forcing himself on the family maid. Somebody high up in the KSA objected and as an amazing diplomatic courtesy the prosecuting attorney flew to Jiddah to explain but the fellow remains in jail.

Men all over the world have abused women for centuries now. Its good that Pakistanis are waking up to this crime against humanity. But to the rest of you non Pakistanis don't think that we Pakistanis are alone and have a monopoly on this form of abuse. Even in the UK AI states that 1 in 4 women is a victim of DV

Lmao. If wife dares call police on her husband he'll be back within the hour after paying bribe to beat her. lol

Violence against women and children cannot be condoned in any civilized society and must be considered a criminal activity with proper penalties for such egregious violations. Every society must be judged and evaluated by how well they treat their weakest and most vulnerable members ( i.e. women, children, minorities etc.).

Back
Top Bottom