What's new

Vinegar contaminated with antifreeze kills Chinese Muslims at Ramadan meal

Status
Not open for further replies.
China has been identified in a number of other cases where dangerous additives were found in food like melamine in milk, Toothpaste made with diethylene glycol as a thickener and lead paint in kid's toys. Guess we can add one more to the list. It's sad when a greed for margins costs human lives.

Can't be certain it is a accident the last case of the milk poisening was done deliberately we dont know at this point if it was the same or a horrible accident.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

It could be planned like the last milk poisening case hard to believe is it Jana ji?

Do you understand that the intent to adulate a product for profit is a very different motive than a motive to kill and harm people.

Yes or No.

Do you understand that the intent to adulate a product for profit is a very different motive than a motive to kill and harm people.

Yes or No.

Damn Cardhsharp that was a 24 hr delay in responding :D.

China's food safety record has been battered by the rampant use of illegal or substandard additives by unscrupulous food producers. Milk powder laced with the industrial chemical melamine killed at least six children and made 300,000 ill in 2008. Producers added the nitrogen-rich melamine powder so their milk would seem higher in protein.

Revenge attacks using rat poison or other chemicals are also common in China, where access to firearms and other deadly weapons is tightly controlled. In April, three children died and 35 others became ill after drinking milk tainted with nitrite. An investigation showed that a local dairy farmer had put the poison into a competitor's milk supply.

Accidental contamination is also a problem, caused by poor hygiene, particularly in rural areas, and weak quality control by regulators.

We dont know which it could be but it is plausible that it may have been a accident or it could just as well be a revenge attack, which given the ongoings in the last few weeks makes sense.

Damn Cardhsharp that was a 24 hr delay in responding :D.

China's food safety record has been battered by the rampant use of illegal or substandard additives by unscrupulous food producers. Milk powder laced with the industrial chemical melamine killed at least six children and made 300,000 ill in 2008. Producers added the nitrogen-rich melamine powder so their milk would seem higher in protein.

Revenge attacks using rat poison or other chemicals are also common in China, where access to firearms and other deadly weapons is tightly controlled. In April, three children died and 35 others became ill after drinking milk tainted with nitrite. An investigation showed that a local dairy farmer had put the poison into a competitor's milk supply.

Accidental contamination is also a problem, caused by poor hygiene, particularly in rural areas, and weak quality control by regulators.

We dont know which it could be but it is plausible that it may have been a accident or it could just as well be a revenge attack, which given the ongoings in the last few weeks makes sense.

I'm going to keep posting this rebuttal to the AP press release until you wipe the drool off of your monitor and read it.

Done on purpose during Ramadan too

I knew someone would be stupid enough to take underhanded insinuation as fact.

Tainted vinegar blamed for 11 deaths in west China

People are such idiots. Anti-freeze and food in the same storage container?

but here is another example of the Western media trying to put a spin on a straight forward case of poor food safety.

Xinjiang Food Inspectors, Sepoys and the Corleone Hypothesis
Posted by Stan on 8/22/11 • Categorized as China News

Yes, the issue of tainted/poisonous/noxious food has been flogged mercilessly in the media and on this blog, but bear with me for this story. Although I realize that all consumers should be treated equally by government regulators, it just makes sense to me that special care should be taken in regions that are, well, um, predisposed to public displays of discontent.

Vinegar stored in plastic barrels that once contained antifreeze is suspected of killing 11 people and making 120 others sick in China’s northwest Xinjiang region, state media said on Monday, in the latest deadly food safety scandal to hit the country.

Police said residents of Sangzhu village, near Hotan, in the vast region that is home to many ethnic Uighur Muslims, had consumed the toxic vinegar on Saturday during a large Ramadan feast, the official Xinhua news agency reported. (Reuters)

You never want to see a story about food that has “antifreeze” in the first paragraph. But to have that incident take place out West, involving folks chowing down at night during Ramadan . . . not good, not good at all.

Indeed, I almost expect to read further in that wire service account about pork tallow and paper ammo cartridges. But let’s not go there.

Besides, we all know that a crazy conspiracy theory has no place here. This incident can be easily explained by negligence. Some evil putz stored vinegar in used antifreeze barrels. End of story, right?

Well, apparently not if you work for the Associated Press. Check out Subtle Alternative Theory #1:

It said the mass food poisoning occurred Saturday night in a village close to Hotan city in Xinjiang, a border region that abuts Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia. The victims were ethnic Muslims who were sharing an evening meal after the daily fast observed during the holy month of Ramadan.

Perhaps my brain was simply warped from consuming too much anti-Muslim news post-9/11, but does that passage reek of the sinister to you? Are you thinking what I’m thinking? (Yeah, clandestine border crossings of Afghan tribal religious fanatics and rogue Pakistani intelligence agents, all determined to stir up ethnic tensions in China’s hinterlands. {cue the vaguely Middle Eastern folk music.})

****, I don’t know. Maybe I’m a racist, or a reverse racist, or a bored blogger looking for trouble.

Then there’s AP Subtle Alternative Theory #2 (hat tip to @chinajinrong for pointing out this one):

Revenge attacks using rat poison or other chemicals are also common in China, where access to firearms and other deadly weapons is tightly controlled.

Yes, well, that certainly does seem plausible. Someone with an old worldish, tribal grudge figured out how to trick the vinegar hawker into storing his product in old antifreeze barrels. Devilishly clever, those natives.

But wait, check out that last bit. The only reason that this brilliant antifreeze gambit was employed was that firearms are not available. Get it? If the person with the grudge had a gun, then no vinegar problem, and no “collateral damage” (i.e., fewer deaths). A very American solution, and the reasoning here is of course impeccable. More guns = less violence and death. {cue Charlton Heston and his cold, dead hands}

So now the images of tribal warriors sneaking across the border at night have been replaced in my mind with Michael Corleone in Sicily, dodging goats and settling scores with the lupara. (Someone should tell the AP that women are more dangerous than shotguns.)

Hmm. Perhaps one reference too many. Let’s wrap this up.

Obviously the AP folks are hopped up on goofballs and should undergo drug testing or a few rounds of ECT. This was unfortunately a run-of-the-mill food scandal that just happened to take place out West during Ramadan.

That being the case, perhaps someone might wish to reconsider budgeting for food inspectors out there before the conspiracy theories gain traction on the Intertubes.

Sometimes what you report along with the news can direct the reader to into conclusions totally unsupported by the actual events.

Sorry Cardsharp no offence but can u post a proper media link and not China defence as mine is from Guardian which i'm sure you've heard of. :disagree:

Why so much hue and cry, its just an accident, I guess.

Why so much hue and cry, its just and accident, I guess.

Not according to the genius above. Fck some people are stupid. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by some who thinks Jesus went to India.

The article is by a American law prof who lives China and covers food safety.

Xinjiang Food Inspectors, Sepoys and the Corleone Hypothesis | China Hearsay

Did you read the article?

Stan Abrams is a Beijing-based IP/IT lawyer and law professor.

That's one man's opinion I hardly class him as a food safety expert he is a lawyer who is giving his opinion on the subject but that does relate to fact.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Not according to the genius above. Fck some people are stupid.

No need for personal insults if you can't debate like a grownup and the milk case was no accident!!

In April, three children died and 35 others were sickened by milk tainted with nitrite. An investigation showed that a local dairy farmer had put the poison into their competitor's milk supply.

No accident and can you prove this is a accident Cardsharp? get back to me when you can

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

You're an imbecile.

Yes it was done on purpose and you can't prove this was done by accident so instead you give me some bullshit links from some lawyers opinion nice one cardsharp for the daily barrel of laughs :disagree:

is this a issue to be discussed in 6 pages????
It was a accident....just move on
RIP to dead...

Please close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom