What's new

Vietnamese discriminated in Cambodia

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
In Pictures: Cambodia's floating villages - In Pictures - Al Jazeera English
All that 61-year-old Thou Yien Son owns floats on water. His house is a precarious wooden platform tied to a bamboo raft and his income comes from a boat that he uses to catch fish and bring it to the local market. Yien Son doesn't have anything else, not even Cambodian citizenship. He is one of the 700,000 ethnic Vietnamese living in Cambodia, a country that doesn't consider them as citizens even though they've lived in the country for generations.

Most of the ethnic Vietnamese arrived in Cambodia during the French Protectorate (1863- 1953) to work in administration positions and in the countryside. In 1975, the Khmer Rouge took power and the Vietnamese were forcibly deported to Vietnam or killed. During the exile, most of them lost the papers that proved their Cambodian origin. On their return in the 1980s, they were considered migrants and became stateless.

Without papers, ethnic Vietnamese cannot buy land and most of them live in floating villages in Tonle Sap, Southeast Asia's largest freshwater lake, located deep inside Cambodia. Yien Son, told Al Jazeera: "I came back because my grandparents and my parents were born and died here. This is my land."

But there is one hope for the ethnic Vietnamese. The Khmer Rouge Tribunal opened a new case against the top leaders of the regime, that will judge, among other crimes, the genocide committed against the Vietnamese community, which ethnic Vietnamese civil society leaders hope to use to gain repatriation. This same tribunal just condemned Nuon Chea, the second most senior leader in the Khmer Rouge, and Khieu Samphan, the former head of state, to life in prison for crimes against humanity.

201481071455660236_8.jpg

201481071455816457_8.jpg

201481071456160775_8.jpg

201481071456379127_8.jpg

\
201481071456660700_8.jpg

20148107145750185_8.jpg

201481071457191941_8.jpg

201481071457316353_8.jpg

201481071457441565_8.jpg

201481071457566341_8.jpg

I thought the VN members here said that Cambodia was Vietnam's client state, and that they feared the boot of the "Prussian of Asia". How can they discriminate against their hegemon like this? :)

I have seen a report...shocking.
compared to other countries, Cambodia is a hell on earth for our people.

I thought the VN members here said that Cambodia was Vietnam's client state, and that they feared the boot of the "Prussian of Asia". How can they discriminate against their hegemon like this? :)
We only control Camb military to make sure that they can not attack VN again, so we wont intervene in their Civil society.

Not so bad like that, some of my friends working in Camb say that people can buy Gun to protect themselves, so if some one there thinking abt robbing our properties in Camb, then they will have to pay by their lives

I have been there before, but I never knew those people are from vietnam. Poor viets.

It shows how much they hate you.

Cambodia is never Vietnam's truly friend. So, we placed agents in their government system for reason, to make sure they dont cause trouble to us, to make sure Chinese don't use them as sacrifice lamb to weaken us.

Cambodia is never Vietnam's truly friend. So, we placed agents in their government system for reason, to make sure they dont cause trouble to us, to make sure Chinese don't use them as sacrifice lamb to weaken us.

I don't think Cambodia will ever be a threat for Vietnam. Cambodia is only 15 million strong, whereas Viet Nam is now approaching 90 million.

Cambodia and Laos will forever live under the shadow of a much larger Viet Nam.

I don't think Cambodia will ever be a threat for Vietnam. Cambodia is only 15 million strong, whereas Viet Nam is now approaching 90 million.

Cambodia and Laos will forever live under the shadow of a much larger Viet Nam.
They are not a threat to Vietnam, but they will become great tool for China. In history of Vietnam and China conflicts, China more than one time use Vietnam's neighbors to weaken Vietnam before they launch full scale invasion. Champa was an example, China used Champa and Khmer to die first, before China sent their troop in.

They are not a threat to Vietnam, but they will become great tool for China. In history of Vietnam and China conflicts, China more than one time use Vietnam's neighbors to weaken Vietnam before they launch full scale invasion. Champa was an example, China used Champa and Khmer to die first, before China sent their troop in.

I agree with you, this is why it is important for Viet Nam to have close eye and control of Laotian and Khmer internal affairs.

In 1979, we faced two front wars in the same time. China strategy is to use their neighbors to attack their enemy to bring their enemy to negotiation which benefit them.

In Vietnam war, they used Vietnam to attack U.S., forced U.S to negotiate with them. In 1979, they used Khmer to attack Vietnam but Khmer were not able to do the samething as Vietnam did to U.S., instead they brought destruction to themselves, that when China jumped in.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom