What's new

Vietnam to build 600 million USD space centre

Viva_Viet

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
A national space centre will be built at an investment of over 600 million USD and is expected to be completed in 2018.

The information was announced by Dr. Doan Minh Chung, Director of the Space Technology Institute (STI) under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, at a ceremony in Hanoi on Nov. 16 to mark the STI’s fifth anniversary.

Covering an area of nine hectares in Hoa Lac High-tech Park , about 30 km from Hanoi , the centre will function as a hub for research and production of small satellites to meet local demand for weather forecasting, research and disaster management.

The Vietnamese Government has assigned the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology to implement the project with support from Japanese designers and technicians.

As a result, the Vietnam Satellite Centre was established to oversee and implement the project.

The STI has partnered with Japan ’s Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) to carry out three major tasks in human resource development, developing technical infrastructure and modern facilities, plus transferring technologies to allow the launch of two small satellites equipped with radar sensors for earth observation.

Once completed, Vietnam will boast the most modern space science facility in Southeast Asia and expects to reduce natural disaster damages by 10 per cent.

The project also enables the country to design and create small satellites with high resolution imaging for earth observation.

Tetsuo Tanaka, Director of JAXA’s International Cooperation Department described Vietnam and Japan as two countries holding great potential for long-term cooperation in remote sensing, the application and development of small satellite technology, and building research capacity./.
Vietnam to build 600 million USD space centre -- Vietnam+ (VietnamPlus)

VietNam pilot Pham Tuan who shot down B-52 by Mig 21 was the first Vietnamese citizen and the first Asian (outside of Russia) in space when he flew aboard the Soyuz 37 mission as an Intercosmos Research Cosmonaut on July 23, 1980,

VN have lots of space experience during USSR era , maybe it's time to continue 'Star war' doctrine that USSR didn't finish :victory:

Awesome news!

And getting Japan as a partner in space research gets half the work done. :)

In future we'll see ISRO-STI partnership. :cheers:

In fact, I am wondering why hasn't ISRO been cleared to approach Vietnam for helping out? We have a mature space program and the most cost effective with the same quality as international standards. Many western countries including Canada, Brazil and European nations have availed ISRO's services.

The time is golden opportunity for India to help Vietnam in enhancing their space programs.

In fact, I am wondering why hasn't ISRO been cleared to approach Vietnam for helping out? We have a mature space program and the most cost effective with the same quality as international standards. Many western countries including Canada, Brazil and European nations have availed ISRO's services.

The time is golden opportunity for India to help Vietnam in enhancing their space programs.

Lol, even i was thinking the same. Bdw i'm highly disappointed by GoI's snail pace diplomacy in international arena. There's high investment potential in education and research sector in Vietnam.

Lol, even i was thinking the same. Bdw i'm highly disappointed by GoI's snail pace diplomacy in international arena. There's high investment potential in education and research sector in Vietnam.

Do you really think this government is going to do anything good now that it knows it will lose 2014 elections? heck! I am surprised how it has not struck a deal to sell half India off to China in exchange for more money in Sonia Gandhi's Swiss and Italian banks. :P

Do you really think this government is going to do anything good now that it knows it will lose 2014 elections? heck! I am surprised how it has not struck a deal to sell half India off to China in exchange for more money in Sonia Gandhi's Swiss and Italian banks. :P

Congress will be a forgotten chapter in history shortly, those illiterate noobs are talking about controlling inflation and is increasing fuel prices on the other hand.

Congress will be a forgotten chapter in history shortly, those illiterate noobs are talking about controlling inflation and is increasing fuel prices on the other hand.

For starters I think Vietnam needs to start focusing on developing indigenous satellites that would enable better communication and connectivity across Vietnam for information. Also, it would make them less reliant on foreign systems. Developing launch vehicles is still a far off prospect as this is a new start for Vietnam. However, I think we must welcome them to use our launch pads in Sriharikota.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Are you referring to their 50% success launching record of H-2 series?

Everyone has successes and failures. Japanese have some issues in space but they're good at everything else. No matter, if Japan's not able to help them here, we certainly can.

And one more thing; everyone is not good at everything. Failures in such a big field is common. Only difference is that in some countries it is openly taught as a part of the learning curve while in others it is hidden just for political objectives. There is nothing to feel happy or sad about it. Failure is the building block to success.

Nothing to be excited about this assembly workshop. Yes, it is nothing but a centre to assemble a satelitte, no manufacturing of components here. Japan would be the last one in the world to transfer out any of their hi-technologies.

This project is a result of ODA loan sponsored by Japan. Japan will provide all the equipment and components for Viet Nam to do the assembly work, nothing more than that.

To tell you guys the truth, I get really tired of seeing Viet Nam doing business with the Japanese; they offer us nothing other than selling us the entire products while refusing to transfer any technology back to us to do our own manufacturing.

I would rather have picked the Korean to be our business partner than the Japanese. At least the Korean were willing to tranfer technology to produce UAV & cruise missiles win the nuclear contract in UAE. We pick Japan and we get nothing.

I don't think Vietnam could do it because its poor, people low IQ more than China. In July 20, 1969, at 20:17:39 Beijing local time Shenzhou 11 got to Moon. In 2003[ 44 years later] China submarines type 361 [Ming III] get to seabed and put China flag in there. I must say China is best top of the line just China.

Back
Top Bottom