What's new

Vietnam Economy Forum

No... Intel is doing just fine. You also forgot that intel is the #1 GPU maker as well (almost every motherboard has an intel integrated chipset).
Yes ,Intel is still a giant but it is dying . The same reason with Nokia.

A decade ago, Vietnam was only a minor link in the global electronic supply chain. But last year, the country’s gross revenue from electronic exports exploded to US$38 billion, according to statistics from the International Trade Centre (ITC).

Although the figure could not compare to China’s revenue of US$560 billion, it helped Vietnam rank among the top 12 electronic exporters in the world.

In fact, many electronic manufacturers have shifted their investment from China to Vietnam due to less favourable conditions in China, such as aging population and rising labour costs.

Although China is predicted to continue being the world’s factory in the future, it is no longer the top venue for lower-cost manufacturing and assembling industry. This trend will benefit many Southeast Asian countries, including Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines, which have an abundant labor force and low labor costs.

This has resulted in many large electronic businesses shifting their investment trend towards emerging and promising markets, particularly Vietnam, which is said to have achieved the highest electronic export growth in the world.

Samsung is one of the top investors in Vietnam. It has invested billions of US dollars in smartphone plants. Intel and LG have also poured almost $1 billion in Vietnam while other investors have pumped hundreds of millions of US dollars into this market.

According to Technomy, Vietnam has a more convenient geographical position than other Southeast Asian nations. They also cite as pluses Vietnam’s proximity to China which allows them to better utilize pre-existing supply chains and the fact that Vietnam faces fewer natural disasters.

Growing domestic demand also entices foreign manufacturers.

“Many electronics manufacturers seek more than low-cost labour when they choose a location for production. They also look for countries that can emerge as large domestic markets. Vietnam seems to have all the right ingredients for that to happen,” said Glenn Maguire, chief economist for the Asia-Pacific region at ANZ Bank.

Maguire also said that Vietnam offers other advantages as well, including a good electricity supply and improving transport infrastructure. The country also appears stable politically.

Sort of like how console games wiped out the PC game market share.

That is actually a myth. I remember reading articles about PC gaming dying as far back as 1992. But in reality consoles were being bought by people who did not have a pc, and hence were never part of the PC market to begin with.Console games have always been for the more casual crowd, while pcs are for the slightly more hardcore. since consoles ended up being mainstream, and the equivalent of gaming, people started to think that PC gaming was dying.

If anything the market for pcs have expanded with f2p suff coming out.The two most played games today are PC games (Dota and LoL), and consoles themselves are becoming more like PCs in many ways nowadays.

That is actually a myth. I remember reading articles about PC gaming dying as far back as 1992. But in reality consoles were being bought by people who did not have a pc, and hence were never part of the PC market to begin with.Console games have always been for the more casual crowd, while pcs are for the slightly more hardcore. since consoles ended up being mainstream, and the equivalent of gaming, people started to think that PC gaming was dying.

If anything the market for pcs have expanded with f2p suff coming out.The two most played games today are PC games (Dota and LoL), and consoles themselves are becoming more like PCs in many ways nowadays.

Game companies are obviously in it for the money. I have never owned a Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo console and I am an ex-pc gamer (don't have time for games anymore).

When you have a relatively powerful system that is owned by millions and is exactly the same hardware setup for those millions you are going to target them first. With PC development you have so many combinations of setups to contend with you have a whole room of test rigs and you still risk a f-up when released.

So you'll target a system that gives you the best chance for success and the best chance of high sales.

Of course if you have something that doesn't need crazy hardware things are different.

Game companies are obviously in it for the money. I have never owned a Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo console and I am an ex-pc gamer (don't have time for games anymore).

When you have a relatively powerful system that is owned by millions and is exactly the same hardware setup for those millions you are going to target them first. With PC development you have so many combinations of setups to contend with you have a whole room of test rigs and you still risk a f-up when released.

So you'll target a system that gives you the best chance for success and the best chance of high sales.

Of course if you have something that doesn't need crazy hardware things are different.
Which is why I quit my $1200+ pc and bought xbone.

I had one time $2000 pc. Over the years, I employed Latest cpu, dual high end gpu with custom cooler, 16 gb ram. Still many bugs.

Now I just play PC games on tablet (surface pro). Some games arent playable but future tablet can play them. All latest games are played on xbone. I'm satisfied that for next 5 years I won't need to upgrade PC and simply live with console that is less buggy and more features friendly.

So yes, Intel is dying. The next version of cpu is already quite delayed. Intel at one time will only be catering to serious pc gamers. Consoles will be choosing AMD due to superior gpu/cpu combo. And smartphones cpu/gpu are getting better every year. New qualcomme cpu/gpu coming this year is faster than ps3 and x360. In future, who knows our smartphones acts as console and we only need controller!

Back
Top Bottom