What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Japanese is too old to work, many of my neighbors choose to come to Japan and Korea instead of working for a Vietnamese company. Simply the salary is bigger than so much though they must go away their family. People who worked for Korean usually richer than. The Japanese need to increase their population.Im thinking about to work in Japan as the best way to help family although:enjoy: the cost to come to Japan is not cheap ( 15.000 USD or more than)
Telling you a story. During my summer vacation I visited a popular tourist spot in Germany. I remember of last time the place was full of Japanese but is now full of Chinese. Even the hotel I stayed was full of Chinese unloaded from buses. I almost needed to fight the way thru the Chinese groups. Crazy. Not the South China Sea but close to the situation. I only saw few Japanese couples with classical cameras in the hand. As Vietnamese you know in 5 seconds who is Chinese or Japanese. It is interesting to observe the two groups. Interesting: Vietnamese tourists are on the rise in Germany. Fewer than the Chinese but visible. No clash is observed. Unluckily.

Japan population decreases by 300,000 per year and that is just the beginning. The number of old people has surpassed that of the young. No I'm afraid Japan has reached the point of no return. Why paying $15,000 for a job in JP? The Japanese should pay for it.

Telling you a story. During my summer vacation I visited a popular tourist spot in Germany. I remember of last time the place was full of Japanese but is now full of Chinese. Even the hotel I stayed was full of Chinese unloaded from buses. I almost needed to fight the way thru the Chinese groups. Crazy. Not the South China Sea but close to the situation. I only saw few Japanese couples with classical cameras in the hand. As Vietnamese you know in 5 seconds who is Chinese or Japanese. It is interesting to observe the two groups. Interesting: Vietnamese tourists are on the rise in Germany. Fewer than the Chinese but visible. No clash is observed. Unluckily.

Japan population decreases by 300,000 per year and that is just the beginning. The number of old people has surpassed that of the young. No I'm afraid Japan has reached the point of no return. Why paying $15,000 for a job in JP? The Japanese should pay for it.

That's what happens when 40% of Japanese men are still virgin and afraid of having a girlfriend. Some Japanese women are looking for Korean men.

The Vietnamese want to become a worker, student in Japan needs to pay for the broker ( this may be a person or company). They find the job in Japan and move the Vietnamese people to these company ( which need the cheaper worker) and teach Japanese for 3 months or more than for employer before they are moved to Japan. It same as if you live in Germany and can find a lot of job which Vietnamese can do. So you can do the same thing. It also depends on the Germany government ( I think they don't like the foreign employer while Japan need people to replace)

It was 53 years ago today, The incident between the USS Maddox and several North Vietnamese torpedo boats happens. While performing a signals intelligence patrol as part of DESOTO operations but It violated Vietnamese EEZ and was pursued by three North Vietnamese Navy torpedo boats of the 135th Torpedo Squadron. Maddox fired three warning shots and the North Vietnamese boats then attacked with torpedoes and machine gun fire. This incident opens the window for the Vietnam War.
300px-Tonkingunboats.jpg

Opinion
Columnist

Asia’s evolving security order
August 7, 2017 | 04:05 PM

By Le Hong Hiep

x711197.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UtWnMt1ZyE.jpg

A general view shows vehicles commuting on a highway in Tokyo's bay area Ariake on June 8, 2016. Japan's economy expanded at a slightly faster pace than first thought, revised figures showed on June 8, knocking hopes that the central bank will unleash fresh stimulus this month. - File photo

Much of this collaboration has centered on the South China Sea, where China’s increasingly powerful navy has been asserting its sovereignty claims with increasing vigour in recent years.

During his visit to Huế, Vietnam’s former royal capital, earlier this year, Japanese Emperor Akihito and his entourage were reminded of their country’s longstanding cultural connections with Vietnam. In the eighth century, Phat Triet, a Cham Buddhist monk from what is now central Vietnam, traveled to Japan, where he helped to popularise Cham music and dance, which was later incorporated into the Japanese imperial court’s gagaku performances. During his visit, the emperor had the opportunity to enjoy the Vietnamese version of gagaku, which also has Cham origins.

The emperor’s visit to Vietnam – the first by a Japanese monarch – represents an important milestone in the maturing bilateral relationship, which has been buttressed not only by strong cultural links, but also by robust economic ties and growing strategic cooperation. At the end of last year, Japan was Vietnam’s largest source of official development assistance (ODA), its second-largest foreign investor, and its fourth-largest trade partner.

Along with closer economic cooperation in recent years, Japan and Vietnam have been strengthening strategic ties. The bilateral “strategic partnership” that was established in 2009 was upgraded to an “extended strategic partnership” in 2014.

Defence cooperation, in particular, has progressed considerably. In 2011, Japan and Vietnam signed a Memorandum of Understanding to deepen defence ties, which now include exchanges of military delegations, naval goodwill visits, an annual defense-policy dialogue, and cooperation in military aviation and air defense.

Much of this collaboration has centered on the South China Sea, where China’s increasingly powerful navy has been asserting its sovereignty claims with increasing vigor in recent years. For example, China unilaterally established an Air Defence Identification Zone in the East China Sea and constructed seven artificial islands in the disputed Spratly archipelago, located off the coast of southern Vietnam.

In late July, China reportedly threatened to attack Vietnamese bases in the Spratlys if Vietnam did not stop its oil exploration activities in an area that lies within Vietnam’s continental shelf, but also within Beijing’s notorious nine-dash line. Given the 2016 arbitral tribunal ruling that China’s maritime claims based on that nine-dash line are invalid, Vietnam has superior claims to the area. But Vietnam decided to back down, rather than face the risk of armed confrontation.

That does not, however, mean that China’s coercive actions – which not only undermine Vietnam’s own security, but also threaten the regional status quo – are not being met with resistance. In 2013, Japan’s defence minister, Itsunori Onodera, visited Vietnam’s Fourth Navy Zone headquarters in Cam Ranh Bay to observe Vietnam’s defense setup for the Spratlys. During that visit, Japan and Vietnam agreed to expand defense cooperation into new areas, especially modernization of Vietnam’s maritime defense agencies and military technology.

At Vietnam’s request, Japan has also provided the country with six patrol boats to support its defense activities in the South China Sea. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, visiting Vietnam in January, pledged to provide six more boats worth $338 million.

Japan will also reportedly sell Vietnam two advanced radar-based earth observation satellites. The order, expected to be delivered by 2018 and funded by Japanese ODA, will enhance Vietnam’s maritime awareness in the South China Sea. Vietnam is also said to be considering a purchase of second-hand P-3C anti-submarine and maritime surveillance aircraft from Japan – a fleet that would likely be assigned to missions in the South China Sea.

From Vietnam’s perspective, Japan is perhaps the most important strategic partner with which to counterbalance China’s maritime expansionism and constrain its hegemonic ambitions. Japan is not only economically and militarily capable; it is also willing to help its Southeast Asian neighbours, so that they, too, can contribute to maintaining the regional balance of power. Japan’s power and longstanding antagonistic relationship with China reinforces the credibility of Japanese security commitments toward Vietnam and other countries in the region.

Vietnam’s interest in defence cooperation with Japan dovetails with the Abe administration’s goal of “normalising” Japan’s defence posture, in order to reduce the country’s dependence on the United States. Japan considers Vietnam a particularly promising security partner, precisely because of the countries’ shared maritime security interests.

Now that US President Donald Trump’s administration is threatening to reduce military engagement with Asia, the need for strategic cooperation among regional actors is becoming even more acute. This goes beyond bilateral relationships, to include potentially the creation of a “principled security network,” as US President Barack Obama’s administration once proposed.

Such an arrangement would resemble what Anne-Marie Slaughter and Mira Rapp-Hooper have called “mesh networks,” which “are highly resilient, because no individual node is critical to the structure’s survival – even if one link breaks, the structure survives.” Japan’s enhanced security ties with Vietnam and other like-minded Asian countries (such as Australia, the Philippines, Singapore, and India), may lead to the emergence of such a resilient network, which can serve as a vital hedge against declining US commitment to the region.

Of course, significant challenges lie ahead. Historical animosities continue to cast a shadow over Japan’s relationships with some Asian countries. Vietnam recalls the dark days of occupation by Japan during World War II, when famine killed up to two million Vietnamese.

But Vietnam has largely overcome its grudge against Japan. In fact, Akihito’s meeting, on his recent visit, with relatives of Japanese soldiers who remained after WWII to start families with Vietnamese women served as a symbol of bilateral reconciliation. The path toward ever-deeper economic and strategic cooperation, shaped by convergent national interests, now seems clearer than ever. - Project Syndicate

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...n-ends-impasse-over-disputes-beijing-calls-no

Asean ends impasse over disputes with Beijing, calls for no militarisation in South China Sea

Diplomats issue communique noting concern about island-building and making vague reference to last year’s international ruling against China

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 06 August, 2017, 11:38pm

13b8fb78-7abb-11e7-84d9-df29f06febc3_1280x720_233832.jpg

Southeast Asian foreign ministers ended an impasse on Sunday over how to address disputes with China in the South China Sea, issuing a communique that called for militarisation to be avoided and noting concern about island-building.

In a surprise move, the ministers also mentioned in their 46-page statement a vague reference to an international arbitration ruling last year that invalidated China’s historical claims to virtually all of the strategic waterway. As in past criticisms, they did not cite China by name.

The South China Sea has long been the most divisive issue for the Association of South East Asian Nations, with China’s influence looming large over its activities. Some countries are wary about the possible repercussions of defying Beijing by taking a stronger stand.

Asean and China adopt framework for crafting code on South China Sea

Asean failed to issue its customary statement on Saturday, over what diplomats said was disagreement about whether to make oblique references to China’s rapid expansion of its defence capabilities on artificial islands in disputed waters.

China is sensitive to even a veiled reference by the Asean bloc to its seven reclaimed reefs, three of which have runways, missile batteries, radars and, according to some experts, the capability to accommodate fighters.

The communique late on Sunday takes a stronger position than an earlier, unpublished draft, which was a watered-down version of one issued last year in Laos.

50 years on, the South China Sea stands between Asean and ‘one community’

The agreed text “emphasised the importance of non-militarisation and self-restraint”.

It said that after extensive discussions, concerns were voiced by some members about land reclamation “and activities in the area which have eroded trust and confidence, increased tension and may undermine peace, security and stability”.

Asean’s deadlock over the statement highlights China’s growing influence on the grouping at a time of uncertainty over the new US administration’s security priorities and whether it will try to keep China’s maritime activities in check.

Several Asean diplomats said that among the members who pushed for a communique that retained the more contentious elements was Vietnam, which has competing claims with China over the Paracel and Spratly archipelago, and has had several spats with Beijing over energy concessions.

Duterte’s joint energy plan for South China Sea may test Asean’s unity

Another diplomat, however, said there was no real disagreement on the contents of the communique, and stressed that the initial draft was seen by some members as weak.

Also on Sunday, the foreign ministers of Asean and China adopted a negotiating framework for a code of conduct in the South China Sea, a move they hailed as progress but seen by critics as a tactic to buy China time to consolidate its maritime power.

ok, I'm not a native English speaker and get many mistakes when I write, thanks for helping me to correct :cheers:
Good for you.
I am trying hard to unnative English myself.
That is to not think and count primarily in English, though that comes in handy when pissing each other in an English based forum. You know what I mean, we usually can count the fastest in a certain language and we are more confident in what we write.
So I despise those Indians who like to fault others for their not so perfect English.

English is for international communication.
I was brought up to treat English as very important, until I found out the Japanese(in Singapore) don't know much English and yet they were able to achieve so much. Subsequently Korea, Taiwan and China proved again that excellent English is not that essential for industrialization, development and progress.
Vietnam will be the next one to prove that to be true.

Those who are better in English than their native language are banana people, e.g. the Indians.
Be very proud of your own language, too late for me, haha.
Cheers

That's what happens when 40% of Japanese men are still virgin and afraid of having a girlfriend. Some Japanese women are looking for Korean men.
Japanese girls looking for Korean men? That is a new low. Recently a report on TV, many Japanese men have virtual girlfriend and plastic doll. I admit that has certain benefits though :D

The Vietnamese want to become a worker, student in Japan needs to pay for the broker ( this may be a person or company). They find the job in Japan and move the Vietnamese people to these company ( which need the cheaper worker) and teach Japanese for 3 months or more than for employer before they are moved to Japan. It same as if you live in Germany and can find a lot of job which Vietnamese can do. So you can do the same thing. It also depends on the Germany government ( I think they don't like the foreign employer while Japan need people to replace)
Time will come JP will pay to get foreigners to come to the country to work. Though I am too sure either. The Japanese are tough be known for bushido code, they rather go down the way to the bitter end than u-turn once they are convinced of certain things.

The Germans for instance pay a lot of money to get Vietnamese here to work especially as caregiver. The demand exceeds supply.

IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

Japanese girls looking for Korean men? That is a new low. Recently a report on TV, many Japanese men have virtual girlfriend and plastic doll. I admit that has certain benefits though :D

Time will come JP will pay to get foreigners to come to the country to work. Though I am too sure either. The Japanese are tough be known for bushido code, they rather go down the way to the bitter end than u-turn once they are convinced of certain things.
Today, one of my neighbor ask me the
choice between learning Japanese and studying in a university

in Vietnam for her daughter, so I give her this first one.

Can give them my number?:)
They maybe love Korean by the affection from Kpop to Japan, for these nations like Vietnam and Bangladesh, I think it is difficult. Of course, If you are enough handsome, money, job, home, car..etc..this is the different thing.

Last edited:
Today, one of my neighbor ask me the
choice between learning Japanese and studying in a university

in Vietnam for her daughter, so I give her this first one.

They maybe love Korean by the affection from Kpop to Japan, for these nations like Vietnam and Bangladesh, I think it is difficult. Of course, If you are enough handsome, money, job, home, car..etc..this is the different thing.
Korean guys and girls are ugly.Ask them to stay infront of candle and watch how their face melt.

Inside Donald Trump's disastrous week in the South China Sea
  • Aug. 5, 2017, 1:53 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-donald-trumps-disastrous-week-in-the-south-china-sea-2017-8

vietnam-renews-india-oil-deal-in-tense-south-china-sea.jpg
A Vietnamese naval soldier stands guard at Thuyen Chai island in the Spratly archipelago, January 17, 2013. Thomson Reuters

Vietnam’s history is full of heroic tales of resistance to China. But this month Hanoi bent the knee to Beijing, humiliated in a contest over who controls the South China Sea, the most disputed waterway in the world.

Hanoi has been looking to Washington for implicit backing to see off Beijing’s threats.

At the same time, the Trump administration demonstrated that it either does not understand or sufficiently care about the interests of its friends and potential partners in Southeast Asia to protect them against China.

Southeast Asian governments will conclude that the United States does not have their backs. And while Washington eats itself over Russian spies and health care debates, one of the world’s most crucial regions is slipping into Beijing’s hands.

There’s no tenser set of waters in the world than the South China Sea. For the last few years, China and its neighbors have been bluffing, threatening, cajoling, and suing for control of its resources. In June, Vietnam made an assertive move. After two and a half years of delay, it finally granted Talisman Vietnam (a subsidiary of the Spanish energy firm Repsol) permission to drill for gas at the very edge of Hanoi’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea.

Under mainstream interpretations of the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Vietnam was well within its rights to do so. Under China’s idiosyncratic interpretation, it was not. China has never even put forward a clear claim to that piece of seabed. On July 25, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang would only urge “the relevant party to cease the relevant unilateral infringing activities” — but without saying what they actually were. In the absence of official clarity, Chinese lawyers and official think tanks have suggested two main interpretations.

rtr3pg82.jpg
A Vietnamese Marine Guard officer monitors a Chinese coast guard vessel in the South China Sea, about 130 miles offshore of Vietnam May 15, 2014. REUTERS/Nguyen Minh

China may be claiming “historic rights” to this part of the sea on the grounds that it has always been part of the Chinese domain (something obviously contested by all the other South China Sea claimants, as well as neutral historians). Alternatively, it may be claiming that the Spratly Islands — the collection of islets, reefs, and rocks off the coasts of Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, and the Philippines — are entitled as a group to their own EEZ. An international arbitration tribunal in The Hague, however, ruled these claims incompatible with UNCLOS a year ago. China has refused to recognize both the tribunal and its ruling.

In mid-June, Talisman Vietnam set out to drill a deepwater “appraisal well” in Block 136-03 on what insiders believe is a billion-dollar gas field, only 50 miles from an existing Repsol operation. The Vietnamese government knew there was a risk that China might try to interfere and sent out coast guard ships and other apparently civilian vessels to protect the drillship.

At first, China’s intervention was relatively diplomatic. The vice chairman of the Central Military Commission, Gen. Fan Changlong, visited Hanoi on June 18 and demanded an end to the drilling. When Vietnam refused, he cancelled a joint meeting on border security (the 4th Border Defense Friendly Exchange) and went home.

Reports from Hanoi (which have been confirmed by similar reports, from different sources, to the Australia-based analyst Carlyle Thayer) say that, shortly afterward, the Vietnamese ambassador in Beijing was summoned to the Chinese Foreign Ministry and told, bluntly, that unless the drilling stopped and Vietnam promised never to drill in that part of the sea ever again, China would take military action against Vietnamese bases in the South China Sea.

map%20south%20china%20sea.jpg
Reuters

This is a dramatic threat, but it is not unprecedented. While researching my book on the South China Sea, I was told by a former BP executive that China had made similar threats to that company when it was operating off the coast of Vietnam in early 2007. Fu Ying, then the Chinese ambassador in London, told BP’s CEO at the time, Tony Hayward, that she could not guarantee the safety of BP employees if the company did not abandon its operations in the South China Sea. BP immediately agreed and over the following months withdrew from its offshore Vietnam operations. I asked Fu about this at a dinner in Beijing in 2014, and she replied, “I did what I did because I have great respect for BP and did not want it to get into trouble.”

Vietnam occupies around 28 outposts in the Spratly Islands. Some are established on natural islands, but many are isolated blockhouses on remote reefs. According to Thayer, 15 are simply platforms on legs: more like place markers than military installations. They would be all but impossible to defend from a serious attack. China demonstrated this with attacks on Vietnamese positions in the Paracel Islands in 1974 and in a battle over Johnson South Reef in the Spratlys in 1988. Both incidents ended with casualties for Vietnam and territorial gains for China. There are rumors, entirely unconfirmed, that there was a shooting incident near one of these platforms in June. If true, this may have been a more serious warning from Beijing to Hanoi.

Meanwhile, the drillship Deepsea Metro I had found exactly what Repsol was looking for: a handsome discovery — mainly gas but with some oil. The company thought there could be more and kept on drilling. It hoped to reach the designated total depth of the well by the end of July.

china-rebuffs-vietnam-criticism-of-oil-rig-move-2016-4.jpg
An oil rig, right, that China calls Haiyang Shiyou 981 and Vietnam refers to as Hai Duong 981, seen in the South China Sea off the shore of Vietnam, May 14, 2014. Thomson Reuters

Back in Hanoi, the Politburo met to discuss what to do. Low oil prices and declining production from the country’s existing offshore fields were hurting the government budget.

The country needed cheap energy to fuel its economic growth and keep the Communist Party in power — but, at the same time, it was deeply dependent on trade with China.

It is all but impossible to know for sure how big decisions are made in Vietnam, but the version apparently told to Repsol was that the Politburo was deeply split.

Of its 19 members, 17 favored calling China’s bluff. Only two disagreed, but they were the most influential figures at the table: the general secretary of the party, Nguyen Phu Trong, and Defense Minister Ngo Xuan Lich.

After two acrimonious meetings in mid-July, the decision was made: Vietnam would kowtow to Beijing and end the drilling. According to the same sources,

The winning argument was that the Trump administration could not be relied upon to come to Hanoi’s assistance in the event of a confrontation with China. Reportedly, the mood was rueful. If Hillary Clinton had been sitting in the White House, Repsol executives were apparently told, she would have understood the stakes and everything would have been different.

The faith in Clinton isn’t surprising. Her interventions on behalf of the Southeast Asian claimant states, starting in Hanoi at the July 2010 meeting of the ASEAN Regional Forum, are well remembered in the region. The Barack Obama administration’s focus on the regional rules-based order was welcomed by governments fearful of domination by either the United States or China.

2016-04-01t000124z5lynxnpec2u1ovrtroptp4nuclear-summit.jpg
President Barack Obama, left, meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington, March 31, 2016. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

That said, some U.S. observers are skeptical that any other administration would have been more forthcoming. Bonnie Glaser, the director of the China Power Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, questions this apparent contrast: “What would the U.S. have done differently [under Obama]? I find it unlikely that the U.S. would militarily defend Vietnam against China. Vietnam isn’t an ally.”

Yet it wouldn’t have taken much: a statement or two about the rules-based order and the importance of abiding by UNCLOS, some coincidental naval exercises during the weeks of the drilling, perhaps even some gunnery practice in the region of Block 136-03 and a few quiet words between Washington and Beijing. “Forward-deployed diplomacy,” as it used to be called.

donald%20trump%20xi%20jinping.jpg
President Donald Trump, right, shakes hands with Chinese President Xi Jinping during a dinner at Mar-a-Lago, April 6, 2017, in Palm Beach, Florida. AP Photo/Alex Brandon

The Obama administration warned Beijing off the Scarborough Shoal in April 2016 this way. Has Donald Trump’s Washington forgotten the dark art of deterrence?

The implications of China’s victory are obvious.

Regardless of international law, China is going to set the rules in the South China Sea. It is going to apply its own version of history, its own version of “shared” ownership, and it will dictate who can exploit which resources.

If Vietnam, which has at least the beginnings of a credible naval deterrent, can be intimidated, then so can every other country in the region, not least the Philippines.

This month, Manila announced its intention to drill for the potentially huge gas field that lies under the Reed Bank in the South China Sea. The desire to exploit those reserves (before the country’s main gas field at Malampaya runs out in a few years’ time) was the main reason for the Philippines to initiate the arbitration proceedings in The Hague.

The Philippines won a near total legal victory in that case, but since taking office just over a year ago, President Rodrigo Duterte has downplayed its importance. He appears to have been intimidated: preferring to appeal to China for financial aid rather than assert his country’s maritime claims.

ap567651960966.jpg
Filipino activists at an anti-China rally outside the Chinese Consulate at the financial district of Makati, south of Manila, Philippines, June 4, 2015. AP Photo/Aaron Favila

In May, Duterte told an audience in Manila that Chinese President Xi Jinping had warned him there would be war if the Philippines tried to exploit the gas reserves that the Hague tribunal had ruled belonged to his country. Last week, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi was in the Philippine capital to discuss “joint development” of those energy resources.

Where Duterte and the Vietnamese leadership go, others will follow. Southeast Asian governments have reached one major conclusion from President Trump’s first six months: The United States is not prepared to put skin in the game.

What is the point of all those freedom of navigation operations to maintain UNCLOS if, when push comes to shove, Washington does not support the countries that are on the receiving end of Chinese pressure?

ap16185194436651.jpg
A Chinese Coast Guard ship approaches Filipino fishermen off Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea, also called the West Philippine Sea, September 23, 2015. AP Photo/Renato Etac

Why has Washington been so inept? Secretary of State Rex Tillerson knows the stakes well. His former company ExxonMobil is also investigating a massive gas prospect in disputed waters.

The “Blue Whale” field lies in Block 118, farther north and closer to Vietnam’s coast than Repsol’s discovery — but also contested by China.

Like so much else, it’s a mystery whether this is a deliberate choice by the Trump White House not to get involved in the details of the disputes or if it is a reflection of the decimation of the State Department’s capabilities, with so many senior posts vacant and so many middle-ranking staff leaving.

The most worrying possibility would be that Tillerson failed to act out of the desire to see his former commercial rival, Repsol, fail so that his former employer, ExxonMobil, could obtain greater leverage in the Vietnamese energy market. But what government would ever trust Tillerson again?

Repsol is currently plugging its highly successful appraisal well with cement and preparing to sail away from a total investment of more than $300 million. Reports from the region say a Chinese seismic survey vessel, the HYSY760, protected by a small flotilla, is on its way to the same area to examine the prospects for itself.

UNCLOS has been upended, and the rules-based order has been diminished. This wasn’t inevitable nor a fait accompli. If Hanoi thought Washington had its back, China could have been deterred — and the credibility of the United States in the region strengthened. Instead, Trump has left the region drifting in the direction of Beijing.

Last edited:
Vietnam would kowtow to Beijing and end the drilling.
Sounds good to me. Really glad their government and businesses have come around.

Here is an older article, but this particular one from The New York Times has yet been posted.

Vietnam, Yielding to Beijing, Backs Off South China Sea Drilling
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/world/asia/vietnam-south-china-sea-repsol.htm

Seems like President Rodrigo Duterte was a catalyst for the change in direction of ASEAN.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom