What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

France and UK announce sending warships to the SC sea. Soon we will have more warships than sharks in the waters.

96DA3639-6973-4D8B-B2C5-AD97637593CA.jpeg

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201806041065096082-france-britain-sending-ships-south-china-sea/

Question : Does the wikipedia list of the active Vietnam Navy vessels and Air Force inventory accurate? :rolleyes:

How much is French language known among the Vietnamese govt leaders would you say these days?
I don’t think anyone can speak French. Many Vietnamese members of the government today are educated in the West. Well some in Russia but no longer in China. For instance the current long served foreign minister Phạm Bình Minh. After graduation in Vietnam he went to United States for further education. He received the Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy at Fletcher School.

He is said the most hated Vietnamese in China, because Minh is the one that pushes Vietnam opening to the West.

He is the architect of Vietnam foreign policy.

If one does not know: Vietnam is probably the first and only country in the world that has a foreign office, occupied with high educated ranks, only to think how to interact with China. That is history.

In fact, for hundreds if not thousands of years Vietnam foreign policy is very focused on China, nowadays the previous Middle Kingdom is seen as important as the kingdom of Netherlands. E.i. not much relevant.

Question : Does the wikipedia list of the active Vietnam Navy vessels and Air Force inventory accurate? :rolleyes:
no, the Vietnamese army usually try to hide everything so you will not know exactly what they have in hand, that is tradition from war until now. even dont mention from unbelieveable suorce like wiki

I don’t think anyone can speak French. Many Vietnamese members of the government today are educated in the West. Well some in Russia but no longer in China. For instance the current long served foreign minister Phạm Bình Minh. After graduation in Vietnam he went to United States for further education. He received the Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy at Fletcher School.

He is said the most hated Vietnamese in China, because Minh is the one that pushes Vietnam opening to the West.

If one does not know: Vietnam is probably the first and only country in the world that has a foreign office, occupied with high educated ranks, only to think how to interact with China. That is history.

In fact, for hundreds if not thousands of years Vietnam foreign policy is very focused on China, nowadays the previous Middle Kingdom is seen as important as the kingdom of Netherlands. E.i. not much relevant.
people who can speak french in government are rare, english and russian is more popular than, I and this minister you mentioned have same province, actually from my house to his origin house is only about 30km. I do not know much about him so can not to comfirm for what you say but his father was likely known more than for this thing

South Korea military chief Song Young-moo stops by for a visit. Vietnam is the core country of South Korea’s “New Southern Policy”, hence gets the status on par with SK major countries as US, Japan, EU and China.

FEB388C8-299B-4704-9750-8DB94A274BDD.jpeg

Yeah I was wondering, because then the Viet leader can speak to Trudeau in French rather than go through translator for Viet/English etc. hehe.

Yeah I was wondering, because then the Viet leader can speak to Trudeau in French rather than go through translator for Viet/English etc. hehe.
Some can but most not. Today French has not the role that used to play in the past. You may know it: French was official language in administration, replacing Chinese when the French finally conquered Vietnam in 19 century.

With the French rule coming to an end and Ho Chi Minh to power, Ho was keen to introduce Vietnamese as official language and scripts, preventing the return of Chinese. Ho was fluent in Mandarin.

Vietnam has been different compared to China for over 2 centuries. We are the first country to lead as a more multicultural nation in the world. Without the Vietnam war, Vietnam would be a quantum leap compare to China.

The cool part about Vietnamese language is that it is very similar to Latin language which make it easier for us to learn to speak French.

The cool part about Vietnamese language is that it is very similar to Latin language which make it easier for us to learn to speak French.

Yah you do have latin based script for Vietnamese as well.

Yah you do have latin based script for Vietnamese as well.
Vietnamese usually can speak multiple languages without problems. Personally besides Vietnamese I speak German, English fluently. I can speak French and Spanish a bit. I once tried to speak Chinese to impress some but stopped because of Chinese idiots here and there. in Germany, a kid learns English very early - at Primary school. When they come to Highschool, a second foreign language is mandatory. Be French or Spanish. or both. So you can imagine how many languages a Viet kid in a foreign country has to master. Sometimes it is too much.

Ah I read the news, India warships were tailed by a Chinese vessel when leaving Vietnam. You should be bothered by such silly action but should increase the frequency of sending warships to the SC Sea.

De12c9bU0AEcCIt_jpg_large.jpg

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/china...ercise-with-vietnam-in-south-china-sea-report

Vietnam has been different compared to China for over 2 centuries. We are the first country to lead as a more multicultural nation in the world. Without the Vietnam war, Vietnam would be a quantum leap compare to China.

Vietnamese language use Latin script, but our language is a Mon Khmer one. You can say that Vietnamese language is similar to Khmer in basic words, to Chinese in 80% of vocabulary and even to Korean or Japanese through Chinese connection, but cannot say Vietnamese language is similar to Latin languages,

Vietnamese language use Latin script, but our language is a Mon Khmer one. You can say that Vietnamese language is similar to Khmer in basic words, to Chinese in 80% of vocabulary and even to Korean or Japanese through Chinese connection, but cannot say Vietnamese language is similar to Latin languages,
Khmer and mon Khmer are two different shoes, have little to nothing in common.

Do you understand anything if listening to a Cambodia person?

In contrast, a person in Spain and a person in Italy can understand each other although they speak different languages.

Khmer and mon Khmer are two different shoes, have little to nothing in common.

Do you understand anything if listening to a Cambodia person?

In contrast, a person in Spain and a person in Italy can understand each other although they speak different languages.

Nothing. This is a iinguistic issue, which I am not professional.

However, I know some basic Khmer words which are identical to Vietnamese:
numbers from 1 to 5 (for example: boyn = bốn; myot - một)
ka = cá

In addition, I doubt if a Spanish and an Italian can understand each other without studying. My Russian mate (20 years ago) said that Russian need to study around 6 months to understand other Slavic languages (similar to an adult Vietnamese learn spoken Chinese)

And I know for sure that Romanian and Italian cannot understand each other (both are Latin languages).

And Bengali (spoken in Bangladesh) and Norse (spoken in Norway) both belong to Indo-European language family (with many similar basic words, may be even more than the similarity between Vietnamese and Khmer) but I doubt a Bengali can understand a Norwegian.

Last edited:
Nothing. This is a iinguistic issue, which I am not professional.

However, I know some basic Khmer words which are identical to Vietnamese:
numbers from 1 to 5 (for example: boyn = bốn; myot - một)
ka = cá

In addition, I doubt if a Spanish and an Italian can understand each other without studying. My Russian mate (20 years ago) said that Russian need to study around 6 months to understand other Slavic languages (similar to an adult Vietnamese learn spoken Chinese)

And I know for sure that Romanian and Italian cannot understand each other (both are Latin languages).

And Bengali (spoken in Bangladesh) and Norse (spoken in Norway) both belong to Indo-European language family (with many similar basic words, may be even more than the similarity between Vietnamese and Khmer) but I doubt a Bengali can understand a Norwegian.
Bengali is also official language of state of West Bengal.

Back
Top Bottom