What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

T-90S Main Battle Tank, Russia

Tank T-90S.jpeg

Tank T-90S-1.jpg

The T-90S is the latest development in the T-series of Russian tanks and represents an increase in firepower, mobility and protection. It is manufactured by Uralvagonzavod in Nizhnyi Tagil, Russia.

The T-90S entered service with the Russian Army in 1992. In February 2001, the Indian Army signed a contract for 310 T-90S tanks: 124 were completed in Russia and the rest are being delivered in "knocked down" form for final assembly in India.

T-90S armament
The T-90S armament includes one 125mm 2A46M smoothbore gun, stabilised in two axes and fitted with a thermal sleeve. The gun tube can be replaced without dismantling inside the turret. The gun can fire a variety of ammunition including APDS (Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot), HEAT (high-explosive anti-tank), HE-FRAG (high-explosive fragmentation) as well as shrapnel projectiles with time fuses.

The T-90S gun can also fire the 9M119 Refleks (NATO designation AT-11 Sniper) anti-tank guided missile system. The range of the missile is 100m to 4,000m and takes 11.7 sec to reach maximum range. The system is intended to engage tanks fitted with ERA (explosive reactive armour) as well as low-flying air targets such as helicopters, at a range of up to 5km. The missile system fires either the 9M119 or 9M119M missiles which have semi-automatic laser beamriding guidance and a hollow charge warhead. Missile weight is 23.4kg. The guns automatic loader will feed both ordnance and missiles.

Also fitted is a coaxial 7.62mm PKT machine gun and a 12.7mm air defence machine gun. A 5.45mm AKS-74 assault rifle is carried on a storage rack.

Self protection
The T-90 tank is protected by both conventional armour-plating and explosive reactive armour.

The T-90 is fitted with the Shtora-1 defensive aids suite which is produced by Electronintorg of Russia. This system includes infrared jammer, laser warning system with four laser warning receivers, grenade discharging system which produces an aerosol screen and a computerised control system.

It is also fitted with NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) protection equipment.

Fire control and observation
"The T-90S has the 1A4GT integrated fire control system (IFCS) which is automatic but with manual override."
The T-90S has the 1A4GT integrated fire control system (IFCS) which is automatic but with manual override for the commander. The IFCS contains the gunner's 1A43 day fire control system, gunner's TO1-KO1 thermal imaging sight which has a target identification range of 1.2km to 1.5km and commander's PNK-S sight.

The gunner's 1A43 day FCS comprises: 1G46 day sight / rangefinder with missile guidance channel, 2E42-4 armament stabiliser, 1V528 ballistic computer and DVE-BS wind gauge.

The commander's PNK-4S sight includes a TKN-4S (Agat-S) day / night sight which has identification ranges of 800m (day) and 700m (night).

The driver is equipped with a TVN-5 infrared night viewer.

Propulsion
The T-90S has a liquid-cooled V-84MS 618kW (840hp) four-stroke V-12 piston engine. This engine can be fuelled by T-2 or TS-1 kerosene and A-72 benzine, in addition to diesel. The tank can carry up to 1,600 litres of fuel in the main fuel tanks and fuel drums. The fuel tanks are reinforced with armour plating.

The tank is provided with a snorkel for deep fording and can ford 5m of water with equipment which can be deployed in 20 minutes.

The mechanical transmission includes primary reduction gear, two planetary final gearboxes and two planetary final drives. The running gear features torsion bar suspension with hydraulic shock absorbers at one, two and six road wheel stations and tracks with rubber-metallic pin hinges.

T-90SK Tank

The T-90SK tank is designed to provide command and control over subordinate units, facilitate communications with superior commanders, and conduct operations as part of units and subunits.

This command tank is a derivative of the T-90S tank and is distinguished by an R-168-100KBE HF radio set, TNA-4-3 tank navigation equipment set and PAB-2M aiming circle.

Its basic specifications are on par with the baseline T-90S model. The command tank’s armament system, protection systems, power plant, transmission, running gear, vision devices, deep-water fording kit, self-entrenching equipment, and mine-clearing equipment mountings are similar to those of the T-90S MBT.

Tank T-90SK - 2.jpg

Tank T-90SK - 1.jpg

Japan and those koreans were aided by the US because they lost. VN was sanctioned and embargoed by the west, or, most of the world. Until recently.
Where were the Soviet Union and China ? Stop blaming sanctions and embargoes. Just because the West had sanctions and embargoes on post war Viet Nam, are you saying that the Soviet Union and China obeyed ? Let me guess, the Soviet Union and China assisted North Viet Nam during the war, then after the war and unification, both countries got scared by the US ? :lol:

News for you -- JPN and SKR entered Viet Nam while those embargoes were in place. The embargoes were not lifted until President Clinton...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/clinton-ends-trade-embargo-of-vietnam

JPN and SKR were already in Viet Nam long before 1994. Same for many European countries. Same for Canada.

Viet Nam got poor because of the misguided leadership -- Marxism.

When the US aided JPN and SKR, what system were used ?

When the Soviets and Chinese aided Viet Nam, what system were used ?

The results ? JPN and SKR became wealthy, educated, and worldly, while Viet Nam got mired in the economic and political muck. The fact that you tried to blame US assistance proved my point.

I think CN always can give more profit than VN to Spain. So, it should have another purpose.

-----------------
News abt Oil drilling. Oil oil fields are running out of oil. New ones with support from US-Spain oil companies will help Vn to achieve the target

PetroVietnam to raise oil extraction target by 1mn tons in 2017

TUOI TRE NEWS

UPDATED : 04/20/2017 15:32 GMT + 7

XkYhwHwO.jpg

PrevNext
State-run oil and gas giant PetroVietnam (PVN) has announced plans to hike its yearly oil extraction by one million metric tons in 2017, following a government directive aimed at boosting the country’s economic growth.

Critics of the plan assert that sustainable economic growth requires more attention to long-term solutions with more measurable effectiveness.

According to Nguyen Quoc Thap, vice-CEO of PVN, the group’s plans to increase their oil extraction targets this year coincide with plans to raise production across all of its drills.

However, Thap admitted that waning global oil prices could be an obstacle to reaching the ambitious target.

If the global oil prices plateau at their current rate of US$55 per barrel, coupled with PVN’s economic and technological preparations, the group could still meet its target, Thap said.

Despite raising their production targets, PVN’s 2017 goals still lag behind its 2016 production, he added.

The group extracted 3.46 million metric tons of oil and captured VND117 trillion ($5 billion) in revenue in the first quarter of this year, 5.5 percent and 18 percent above its respective targets.

PVN hopes to make an additional $375 million in revenue in 2017 with its added production, assuming oil prices stay above $50 per barrel.

Thap noted however that the group’s increased revenue does not necessarily mean a significantly bigger contribution to the public budget, though he refused to disclose a specific number.

Sustainable solutions needed

Dang Duc Anh, a senior analyst at the National Center for Socio-Economic Information and Forecast (NCIF), believes that PVN’s increased extraction will not be much of a boost to Vietnam’s economic expansion.

According to NCIF estimates, one million additional metric tons of oil in PVN’s production would only lead to a 0.25 percent boost to the country’s economy.

“Despite PVN’s 5.5-percent over-performance in production during the first quarter of 2017, its growth rate experienced a slight drop over the same period, reaching only 5.1 percent,” Anh said.

Dr. Le Xuan Sang, deputy director of the Vietnam Institute of Economics, suggested that Vietnam base its domestic oil production targets on global price trends and adjust accordingly.

Sang pointed out that Vietnamese enterprises are spending $40 to extract each barrel of oil, while in Saudi Arabia and Russia the cost to extract a barrel is a mere $8-12 and $13, respectively.

PVN’s efforts to reduce its cost of extraction have not been successful, Thap noted, as it would require advanced technology and enhanced administrative capability.

Anh stressed that Vietnam would need to shift its focus to economic reforms and improvement of the business environment, rather than on increased oil production, if it wants to seek sustainable growth.

Vietnam’s crude oil is mainly exported to China, which imports Vietnamese oil at a much lower price than other markets, according to statistics from the General Department of Vietnam Customs.

Japan, for example, pays VND9.8 million ($438) per metric ton of crude oil from Vietnam, VND400,000 ($18) higher than what China pays.

In the first three months of 2017, Vietnam exported 237,000 metric tons of crude oil to Japan, a 206.9-percent growth rate from the same period of 2016.

According to the Ministry of Finance, crude oil production and exports contributed VND11 trillion ($491 million) to the government budget in the first quarter of 2017, with an expectation to reach VND38.3 trillion ($1.71 billion) by the end of the year, a15.9-percent increase from 2016.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/40615/pvn-to-raise-oil-extraction-target-by-1mn-tons-in-2017

You asked why Spain support VN in this case. I said profit.

It is profitable for Spain to help VN in this case.

Where were the Soviet Union and China ? Stop blaming sanctions and embargoes. Just because the West had sanctions and embargoes on post war Viet Nam, are you saying that the Soviet Union and China obeyed ? Let me guess, the Soviet Union and China assisted North Viet Nam during the war, then after the war and unification, both countries got scared by the US ? :lol:

News for you -- JPN and SKR entered Viet Nam while those embargoes were in place. The embargoes were not lifted until President Clinton...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/clinton-ends-trade-embargo-of-vietnam

JPN and SKR were already in Viet Nam long before 1994. Same for many European countries. Same for Canada.

Viet Nam got poor because of the misguided leadership -- Marxism.

When the US aided JPN and SKR, what system were used ?

When the Soviets and Chinese aided Viet Nam, what system were used ?

The results ? JPN and SKR became wealthy, educated, and worldly, while Viet Nam got mired in the economic and political muck. The fact that you tried to blame US assistance proved my point.

Soviet were a failing state and collapsed shortly after. China was a third world country then. I dont know how they might offer assistance.

Japan and korea had technology transfer from world powers when then. The defense of their nation was and still is guaranteed by the most powerful military in the world. Vietnam on the other hand were sanctioned to the point of famine. Fought against polpot snd china at her weakest point right after the war with the US.

Vietnamese leaders at the time, and, still is, in my opinion, are only good leaders during war time. When it came to economics, they were clueless. I guess it is a combination of war, geopolitics, and incompetence that held VN back.

I didn't blame anyone, I attributed the aid and technology transfer from the west to their success. This helped korea more so than Japan as Japan was an already highly technological state.

You obviously have something against VN.

Further, korea is the most obvious US puppet state anyone in the world can see. They are incapable of making any decisions on their own without US approval. Their government is nothing more than a pretend government =). They are a conquered people. Their children suffer from so much pressure to keep up with the jones that some kill themselves from said pressure. Are you korean? Lol

Last edited:
Soviet were a failing state and collapsed shortly after. China was a third world country then. I dont know how they might offer assistance.
Just because you do not know, that does not mean no such assistance occurred. Google is your friend. Use it and learn something new.

Vietnamese leaders at the time, and, still is, in my opinion, are only good leaders during war time. When it came to economics, they were clueless. I guess it is a combination of war, geopolitics, and incompetence that held VN back.
It was ideology. Nothing more. Their Marxist beliefs guided their actions on how to recover a unified Viet Nam and they failed.

I didn't blame anyone,...
Yes, you did. You tried to blame the US.

I attributed the aid and technology transfer from the west to their success. This helped korea more so than Japan as Japan was an already highly technological state.
This still proved my point.

You obviously have something against VN.
Yeah...Communism. Is that too difficult to understand ?

Further, korea is the most obvious US puppet state anyone in the world can see. They are incapable of making any decisions on their own without US approval. Their government is nothing more than a pretend government =). They are a conquered people. Their children suffer from so much pressure to keep up with the jones that some kill themselves from said pressure.
Casting slurs against South Korea is not going to help your argument. Between North Korea and South Korea, where would YOU want to live ? If you answer 'South', you just insulted your own intelligence.

Are you korean? Lol
No, I am Viet. I fled in 1975. Which put me as old enough to be your father. I also understand the Vietnam War better than anyone in this forum, including you.

Just because you do not know, that does not mean no such assistance occurred. Google is your friend. Use it and learn something new.

It was ideology. Nothing more. Their Marxist beliefs guided their actions on how to recover a unified Viet Nam and they failed.

Yes, you did. You tried to blame the US.

This still proved my point.

Yeah...Communism. Is that too difficult to understand ?

Casting slurs against South Korea is not going to help your argument. Between North Korea and South Korea, where would YOU want to live ? If you answer 'South', you just insulted your own intelligence.

No, I am Viet. I fled in 1975. Which put me as old enough to be your father. I also understand the Vietnam War better than anyone in this forum, including you.

We lost. Get over it.

NK would steam roll SK without the US. SK is nothing without the US.

Crediting the US for bringing SK to the first world is not blaming. You need to check your reading comprehension.

My father fought for the south. Got shredded by bullets. Grenades tore his insides out. Mine ripped off half his legs laterally. He still have fragments in him. He went back into combat after every wound, even when they had to saw an inch off his right leg. Snd you know what he thinks? He thinks the south deserve to lose. The south werent motivated fighters. Instead of focusing on winning a war, the south worried more about chasing girls and drinking.

What did you do to help save south Vietnam? Chasing girls while your brothers gave their life?

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
We lost. Get over it.
You strikes me as someone who is intellectually lazy despite all the tools that are available for you to use.

Once unified and the US was out, Viet Nam's fate is no one's but her own, particularly of her leadership who was corrupt and incompetent. What make or break a country is economics -- first and foremost -- and that was where Viet Nam failed.

Crediting the US for bringing SK to the first world is not blaming. You need to check your reading comprehension.
You did more than just crediting the US for SKR's and JPN's successes. You tried to explained Viet Nam's economic failure on sanctions and embargoes. You got brainwashed, friend.

Viet Nam was unified in 1975. At that time, the Soviet Union still exists and have been sending economic aid to any country that would accept Soviet influence. Ever heard of Cuba ? So yes, you tried to blame the US.

My father fought for the south. Got shredded by bullets. Grenades tore his insides out. Mine ripped off half his legs laterally. He still have fragments in him. He went back into combat after every wound, even when they had to saw an inch off his right leg. Snd you know what he thinks? He thinks the south deserve to lose. The south werent motivated fighters. Instead of focusing on winning a war, the south worried more about chasing girls and drinking.

What did you do to help save south Vietnam? Chasing girls while your brothers gave their life?
What does this have to do with (unified) Viet Nam's failure for the past 40 yrs ?

What does this have to do with (unified) Viet Nam's failure for the past 40 yrs ?
Same story again and again ... go out, do something useful for your sorry life. Dont just keep rechewing grass like cow, old man

Old dog just can not learn new tricks :cool:

I really don't know the details of the situation. The Americans are also drilling near Danang. I don't know the details of the agreement between Vietnam and the Spanish company. Obviously it is profitable and worth it for them to do it. There are a few Spanish companies doing business in Vietnam, they build airports, infrastructure projects, etc.

I would say that the key here is that the Spanish government decided to support the Spanish oil company (government owned) and even that obviously Spain has a lot more trade and business dealings with China, still, they stood by Vietnam even that China can easily choose to retaliate as they did with South Korea and others, the chinese are usually very fast to do that. I can only think that Spain told them that if they choose to retaliate, they would have an issue not only with Spain, but with the whole European Union and at that point it gets very serious. It can still happen, I can't say that the issue is settled, we need more time to see what happens.
Yep, seem like a so called "Cnese 9 dash lines " in a crucial position like East VN sea (SCS)make CN become the enemy of the world. Remain free navigation there is the only choice for all.

No, it should NOT. JPN suffered far worse. You can cite how many tonnages of bombs dropped or Agent Orange use all day long and it will do you no good. The bottom line is that JPN was bombed nearly literally back to the Stone Age, including by nuclear weapons, their ways of life upended by foreigners and made submissive to foreign laws. And yet, JPN recovered and became a dominant power in Asia -- within that 50 yrs time span.

Now look at South Korea for another example and lesson.

The Vietnam War ended 42 yrs ago. Time to stop blaming the war for Viet Nam's problems of today. To make your arguments believable and at least persuasive, if not outright convincing, you must show how Viet Nam suffered the war in ways that JPN and SKR did not, and that the effects are inevitably long term.

You cannot and never will be able to make that argument.
Bro you missed several things. JP went thru the period of industrial revolution while VN not. The French did nothing in building just looting the resources. JP was bombed and nuked but VN with Laos and Cambodia received more bombs than the entire Europea in WW II, surpassing JP in terms of nuclear explosions. JP recovering was quick after the war because she has the economic foundation. VN not.

VN was completely destroyed but was held back for another two decades by a combination of western sanction, three front war of aggression by China, Cambodia and Thailand, failed economic policies and last but not least lots of Vietnamese were fleeing the country.

SK is another story. I once said something here about the kimchi folks.

The rise of Japan after the defeat was assisted by the United States, similar the rise of Germany. They received tons of money and technology.

What do you think why both countries today are the most loyal US allies despite they were enemies fighting the Americans to the bitter end? The relationship between VN and CN could take the same path if the Chinese haven't gone back to the centuries old traditional path of destruction policy toward Vietnam.

Bro you missed several things. JP went thru the period of industrial revolution while VN not. The French did nothing in building just looting the resources. JP was bombed and nuked but VN with Laos and Cambodia received more bombs than the entire Europea in WW II, surpassing JP in terms of nuclear explosions. JP recovering was quick after the war because she has the economic foundation. VN not.

VN was completely destroyed but was held back for another two decades by a combination of western sanction, three front war of aggression by China, Cambodia and Thailand, failed economic policies and last but not least lots of Vietnamese were fleeing the country.

SK is another story. I once said something here about the kimchi folks.

The rise of Japan after the defeat was assisted by the United States, similar the rise of Germany. They received tons of money and technology.
Its just like the wounded dogs recover faster thanks to their bosses when the wounded wolf facing with the risk of starvation, hunters etc will recover much slower....

But dogs have No freedom like wolf :)

You strikes me as someone who is intellectually lazy despite all the tools that are available for you to use.

Once unified and the US was out, Viet Nam's fate is no one's but her own, particularly of her leadership who was corrupt and incompetent. What make or break a country is economics -- first and foremost -- and that was where Viet Nam failed.

You did more than just crediting the US for SKR's and JPN's successes. You tried to explained Viet Nam's economic failure on sanctions and embargoes. You got brainwashed, friend.

Viet Nam was unified in 1975. At that time, the Soviet Union still exists and have been sending economic aid to any country that would accept Soviet influence. Ever heard of Cuba ? So yes, you tried to blame the US.

You're just too blinded by your bitterness and ignorance to accept a clear fact.

It is in fact the result of global sanction and embargoes. Just look at Venezuela as we speak. I understand that you are a self loathing coward who avoided the war and now now speak as if you are entitled to your opinion. You are not. You do not know more about the war and the aftermath than anybody. Your opinion is that of a cowardice individual who is bitter because someone else didnt win the war for them.

You brought up about how you fled in 1975, and how you know more about the war than anybody on earth. I brought up my father who was fighting in the war itself while you cower in fear. He knows more about the war than anybody who was cowering under a table with their eyes close, like yourself.

You, gambit, are a worthless individual who will never fight for what he believes but will always blame others for your failings. You read a few bias pieces of history through the eyes of the loser and you consider yourself a historian. You fail to support your premise with facts, instead you cited wiki. If you have ever taken a college level english course, you should know that wikipedia is a unreliable source that anyone can edit. You're just an uneducated old man full of bitterness and contempt for his own failings.

You're just too blinded by your bitterness and ignorance to accept a clear fact.

It is in fact the result of global sanction and embargoes. Just look at Venezuela as we speak. I understand that you are a self loathing coward who avoided the war and now now speak as if you are entitled to your opinion. You are not. You do not know more about the war and the aftermath than anybody. Your opinion is that of a cowardice individual who is bitter because someone else didnt win the war for them.

You brought up about how you fled in 1975, and how you know more about the war than anybody on earth. I brought up my father who was fighting in the war itself while you cower in fear. He knows more about the war than anybody who was cowering under a table with their eyes close, like yourself.

You, gambit, are a worthless individual who will never fight for what he believes but will always blame others for your failings. You read a few bias pieces of history through the eyes of the loser and you consider yourself a historian. You fail to support your premise with facts, instead you cited wiki. If you have ever taken a college level english course, you should know that wikipedia is a unreliable source that anyone can edit. You're just an uneducated old man full of bitterness and contempt for his own failings.
He loves to live like dogs wt "protection" from boss instead of living like a gaunt wolf like other Vnese.

VN have the right to enrich uranium. Wt nuclear tech support from Russia-India-North Korea, we are strong enough to defend our lands while countries like SK-JP-German etc must beg for US's protection for the rest of their lives cos daddy US dont let them to enrich uranium like VN :)

We lost. Get over it.

NK would steam roll SK without the US. SK is nothing without the US.

Oha you are Vietnamese right? Your father fought on the side of republican army.

Vietnam drills for oil in South China Sea
By Bill Hayton BBC News
  • 4 hours ago
_75114738_491220539.jpg
Image copyright AFP
Image captionThe two countries had a tense stand-off in 2014 when China drilled for oil in disputed waters

Vietnam has begun drilling for oil in an area of the resource-rich South China Sea also claimed by China. An oil industry consultant told the BBC that a drilling ship on contract to international firm Talisman-Vietnam was working off Vietnam's south-east coast.

This appears to be why a senior Chinese general cut short an official visit to Vietnam last month.

China claims almost all of the South China Sea, including reefs and islands also contested by other nations.

According to Ian Cross, of Singapore-based Moyes & Co, the drillship Deepsea Metro I, began to drill in an area of sea about 400km (250 miles) off the Vietnamese coast on 21 June.

It is likely that the news was kept secret because of its extreme sensitivity.

_90356589_south_china_sea_spratlys.png

Other oil industry sources have told the BBC that Talisman-Vietnam was denied permission to drill over the past three years to avoid upsetting China.

It would appear that by taking such a bold move, the leadership in Hanoi is less concerned about such risks now.

The piece of seabed in question is known as Block 136-03 by Vietnam, but China calls it Wan-an Bei 21 and has leased out the same area to a different company. In 2014 the Chinese rights were bought by a Hong Kong-based company called Brightoil.

Two of the directors of Brightoil are senior members of the Chinese Communist Party.

Talisman-Vietnam was formerly owned by the Canadian company Talisman but since 2015 has been part of the Spanish-owned Repsol group.

_96805888_mediaitem96805887.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionVietnam and other neighbours contest China's territorial claims in the area

Gen Fan Changlong, who is Vice-Chair of China's Central Military Commission, recently paid a visit to Madrid, where Repsol is based. Repsol has not responded to BBC questions about whether the Chinese authorities have made any protest to the company.

In 2014 coastguard vessels and other ships belonging to China and Vietnam confronted each other in a different area of the South China Sea, further north near the Paracel Islands.

Since then the two countries have tried to avoid confrontation. However, Vietnam has clearly decided that the risks of a crisis are relatively low. So far the only casualty of Vietnam's new oil expedition has been a planned meeting of the annual Vietnam-China border defence friendship exchange.

That high-level meeting between the two countries' militaries was supposed to have taken place on the same day the Deepsea Metro I began drilling.

Instead, Gen Fan - who was due in Hanoi after his Madrid visit - flew home, citing problems with the "working arrangements".

Vietnam may have judged that with China currently promoting its "Belt and Road" initiative to the region and encouraging other countries to agree the new Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), at the same time as it is preparing for its crucial Communist Party congress, it would be unwilling to provoke a regional crisis.

There are no obvious signs of Chinese retaliation so far but we could see a tit-for-tat response with Beijing authorising a drilling operation in an area that Vietnam also claims. This, however, would take some time to organise.

He loves to live like dogs wt "protection" from boss instead of living like a gaunt wolf like other Vnese.

VN have the right to enrich uranium. Wt nuclear tech support from Russia-India-North Korea, we are strong enough to defend our lands while countries like SK-JP-German etc must beg for US's protection for the rest of their lives cos daddy US dont let them to enrich uranium like VN :)

I wouldnt go that far when it comes to Japan though. SK is a whole different story.

Oha you are Vietnamese right? Your father fought on the side of republican army.

Yeh, he was ARVN.

Back
Top Bottom