What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

And no, I would not say Vietnam won the war because of its allegiance, in fact, I am not quite sure Vietnam has actually won. In a strategic stand point, what the US want to do is to rid Vietnam of communism and uniting the country under freedom and capitalism, that is their ultimate goal. Vietnam did indeed unified, and Vietnam loses a lot of time/resource to win that war, time and resource that could have been well used and distributed to develop the country otherwise not touched by war. and perhaps the most important things coming out of Vietnam War is the death of Communism, today, beside a few die hard hold out which not affecting the world stage, communism is all but disappear, and Vietnam has also coming out of their communist shell and into the 21 century.

So basically, what Vietnam do now is what the American wanted back in 1960s, the basic objective is the same, it just take 50 years of struggle to realise this. Wasn't that mean the American have achieve their objective? Albeit 50 years late.
VN war was Not abt Communism vs Capitalism, its abt controlling the strategic position in the region. VN is in the center of ASEAN region. From Da Nang province, the air force can control the whole region.

Ho CHi MInh dismissed communist party in 1946 and hoped US would support VN against France colonies
. But every one knew that US supported France to keep occupying VN instead.

I think for Vietnam in regards to a possible south china sea conflict, their air force would be just as important as their navy. I'm not sure whether maritime patrol aircrafts and ASW aircrafts would be operated by their navy or air force, but regardless they offer capabilities that are very important in maritime environment if Vietnam wants to restrict China in SCS. Upgrades to C4ISR and with AWAC aircrafts from their air force would give Vietnam the ability to see and shoot from various air (fighters armed with anti ship missile, asw aircraft etc..) and sea platforms( frigates, corvettes and submarines), a capability which is currently non existent in their armed force. By having the airforce work with the navy it's like a force multiplier, which is good for Vietnam because it's navy will never match PLAN in regards to it's size. Modern militaries need their military branches operating together and not separately.

That is exactly my point also. I don't see any surface ships been able to do anything against the PLAN, they'll be busy trying to hide and survive, that's why I advocate for subs.

The air force and coastal missile batteries has much better chances against the PLAN since they can always launch saturation missile strikes with some positive results. Every ship has a missile saturation point after which it gets toasted. That's a fact. VN needs to get into the next generation of faster missiles such as Brahmos and Zircon.

VN has already set up a nice air defense network linking all the radars and air defense assets, there are some small satellites already, 2 very advance radar satellites are going to be provided by Japan and it seems like an order for 3 C-295 AWACS is imminent, so there is the C4ISR network in progress. Air defense is quite ok and the S-400 is expected to be ordered soon.

With limited resources, the money has to be allocated where it makes sense and can provide more bang for the dollar. A new order of subs would be very ice.

You poor thing. It is OK if you are GAY.
But it is not nice for you to openly solicit other Gays in this forum.
You will have better luck if you do something to that face of yours.
LOL defensive are we? It's a simple question, I don't understand why you got so emotional about it. I can understand if you're sensitive but calm down. You don't have to be so anal about it lol.

Guys can talk like they're a teenage girl, I have nothing against that. You are one unstable individual, but it's all good, carry on lol
Can we stop such discussion please?

I think for Vietnam in regards to a possible south china sea conflict, their air force would be just as important as their navy. I'm not sure whether maritime patrol aircrafts and ASW aircrafts would be operated by their navy or air force, but regardless they offer capabilities that are very important in maritime environment if Vietnam wants to restrict China in SCS. Upgrades to C4ISR and with AWAC aircrafts from their air force would give Vietnam the ability to see and shoot from various air (fighters armed with anti ship missile, asw aircraft etc..) and sea platforms( frigates, corvettes and submarines), a capability which is currently non existent in their armed force. By having the airforce work with the navy it's like a force multiplier, which is good for Vietnam because it's navy will never match PLAN in regards to it's size. Modern militaries need their military branches operating together and not separately.
VN patrol aircraft capacity is limited. There is Casa212 and other small aircraft types but we need long range jet powered patrol aircraft. Satellite surveillance is limited too. So improving surveillance capabilities is necessary.

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

Donald Trump can be happy. As campaign to ease the US government complaint over Vietnam increasing trade surplus, Vietnamese companies buy more US products and services. The new Viet Bamboo Airways is negotiating with Boeing to buy 15 (737Max and 777X) airplanes to operate in 2018.

IMG_2303.JPG

That is exactly my point also. I don't see any surface ships been able to do anything against the PLAN, they'll be busy trying to hide and survive, that's why I advocate for subs.

The air force and coastal missile batteries has much better chances against the PLAN since they can always launch saturation missile strikes with some positive results. Every ship has a missile saturation point after which it gets toasted. That's a fact. VN needs to get into the next generation of faster missiles such as Brahmos and Zircon.

VN has already set up a nice air defense network linking all the radars and air defense assets, there are some small satellites already, 2 very advance radar satellites are going to be provided by Japan and it seems like an order for 3 C-295 AWACS is imminent, so there is the C4ISR network in progress. Air defense is quite ok and the S-400 is expected to be ordered soon.

With limited resources, the money has to be allocated where it makes sense and can provide more bang for the dollar. A new order of subs would be very ice.

Yes I think Vietnam is aware of this anyways, so these new purchases are a good start. CASA C-295 AWACS is a good option for Vietnam, it's cheaper to purchase and through life-cost is less expensive than other aircrafts out there, plus I think Vietnam already operates 3 C-295 so spare parts and training can be saved.

I would say Vietnam has one of the best sub fleet in ASEAN right now, it would be nice but very expensive to order more and also subs are most expensive equipment to operate and maintain.. I think the next time Vietnam goes shopping for subs is when they replace the Kilo-class but that will be decades away.

VN patrol aircraft capacity is limited. There is Casa212 and other small aircraft types but we need long range jet powered patrol aircraft. Satellite surveillance is limited too. So improving surveillance capabilities is necessary.

I agree, but Vietnam is making progress. I know VN is looking to purchase more maritime patrol aircraft, I'm guessing used P-3 orion is a safe choice for VN because its proven but is prop powered and not jet. P-8 is another option, much newer aircraft, can work with UAV and is future proof but also expensive. Besides US, Vietnam can look at European platform, Saab offers maritime patrol aircrafts both prop and jet powered or even Embraer from Brazil.

I think the next time Vietnam goes shopping for subs is when they replace the Kilo-class but that will be decades away..

I'm pretty sure there is going to be more subs in addition to the Kilos. They've been negotiating with Italy for the S-1000 for a while now.

Vietnamese in Saigon protest against HD-981 oil rig moving into Vietnam's EEZ in South China Sea this morning. One activist is arrested.

DDJRLewV0AAbGvJ.jpg

DDJRLeyUAAAAa-c.jpg

DDJRLezUMAAXxNk.jpg

DDJRLeyUQAAKZvN.jpg

Yes I think Vietnam is aware of this anyways, so these new purchases are a good start. CASA C-295 AWACS is a good option for Vietnam, it's cheaper to purchase and through life-cost is less expensive than other aircrafts out there, plus I think Vietnam already operates 3 C-295 so spare parts and training can be saved.

I would say Vietnam has one of the best sub fleet in ASEAN right now, it would be nice but very expensive to order more and also subs are most expensive equipment to operate and maintain.. I think the next time Vietnam goes shopping for subs is when they replace the Kilo-class but that will be decades away.

I agree, but Vietnam is making progress. I know VN is looking to purchase more maritime patrol aircraft, I'm guessing used P-3 orion is a safe choice for VN because its proven but is prop powered and not jet. P-8 is another option, much newer aircraft, can work with UAV and is future proof but also expensive. Besides US, Vietnam can look at European platform, Saab offers maritime patrol aircrafts both prop and jet powered or even Embraer from Brazil.
P3 aircraft has proved as a great disaster for German airforce, so I doubt Vietnam will acquire the aircraft. There are alternatives from European companies.

P3 aircraft has proved as a great disaster for German airforce, so I doubt Vietnam will acquire the aircraft. There are alternatives from European companies.

Can you go into more detail on that?

Can you go into more detail on that?
an article of "Der Spiegel"
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/so...euge-nur-bedingt-einsatzbereit-a-1124072.html

image-783449-860_poster_16x9-bwwp-783449.jpg

in brief:

- the German airforce acquired 8 second hand P3 from the Dutch in 2006.
- in total, the German government spends more than 1.2 billion euro for the purchase and maintenance by 2016.
- no P3 was operational during an inspection in September 2016 due to necessary maintenance and other various problems.
- 173 million euro more from now to 2020 are necessary to make the birds to fly.

- one P3 spends as little as 2.5 hours mid-air during the last 10 year.

Rebecca Rusch's 1,200-Mile Ride to Find Her Father...and Herself
MONDAY, JUNE 26, 2017 AT 7:58 A.M.
BY GABE FINE

p-20170523-00067_news.jpg
EXPAND
Rebecca Rusch and her partner, Huyen Nyugen, on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
courtesy Josh Letchworth

When professional endurance mountain biker Rebecca Rusch rode the 1,200-mile-long Ho Chi Minh Trail that runs through Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in 2015, it was the culmination of another long journey.

In 1972 her father, an American soldier in the Vietnam War, had been in a plane shot down over the trail. For over thirty years, Rusch and her family were unsure if he was alive, if he had become a prisoner of war, or if he had been killed that day. But in 2007, a search-and-recovery mission finally identified his remains.

"There was always doubt growing up," says Rusch. "I had dreams that I would meet him in a coffee shop and tell him about my life. You would see these movies about prisoners of war who had started new families in Vietnam. Those dreams stopped when they found his remains." Yet for Rusch, the sure knowledge of her father's death was not only the end of something, but a beginning. Rusch had never known her father, who died when she was three; she now decided to go out and discover who her father really was.

Riding the Ho Chi Minh Trail, a network of roads built during the war to provide logistical support for the Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong, to find her father's crash site seemed a perfect collision of Rush's cycling world and her personal quest. In 2013, the idea was green-lighted by Red Bull Media House, which would follow her with a documentary crew. The resulting film, Blood Road, follows Rusch on her journey alongside Vietnamese cyclist Huyen Nguyen through more than a thousand miles of jungle.

p-20170303-00327_news.jpg
EXPAND
Rebecca Rusch posing in Vietnam.
courtesy Josh Letchworth

RELATED STORIES

Though the 1,200-mile trek required biking, kayaking and hiking on foot over rigorous terrain, Rusch is no stranger to massive feats of physical exertion. Proudly nicknamed the "Queen of Pain," she has won countless endurance mountain-biking races, including the iconic Leadville Trail 100, which she won four times in a row between 2009 and 2012. But the great test of this Vietnam trip was emotional. "The physical riding wasn't the hardest part," remembers Rusch. "The challenge was to be vulnerable, to be open –– to my crew, to Huyen, to myself."

The journey became a perspective-altering voyage through Rusch's own history as well as Vietnam. "It ended up opening my eyes through seeing what the other side experienced," says Rusch. "The war was 45 years ago, but it is still affecting people's lives there."

Rusch's partner, Huyen, grew up with a bomb crater in her yard. At one point in the film, she tells Rusch that she never thought of the men like her father, who bombed her country, as real humans...until Rusch shows Huyen a photograph of her dad. For Rusch, this and other moments of humanization and understanding across cultures became the heart of the journey. "In the States, we don't live with conflict in our back yard," she says. "I think if everyone could see what it's like where we were, a lot of people's perspectives would change."

p-20170303-00359_news.jpg
EXPAND
Cycling the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
courtesy Josh Letchworth

Rusch still acts in service of this belief. Last November, she returned to Vietnam, where she guided fifteen bikers for eight days along the middle portion of the Ho Chi Minh Trail. "I wanted to go back and ride, of course, because it is beautiful, but I also wanted to show others the bomb craters and the villages I saw," explains Rusch. The trip also raised funds to help clear unexploded American ordnance –– land mines –– still littered across the country, endangering Vietnamese lives. In August, she will return again to embed with a de-mining team, Mines Advisory Group.

When asked why she chose to participate in such grueling, difficult expeditions for a career, for many years Rusch had no answer. "I think my dad brought me there to teach me a lesson," she says now. "He gave me a purpose for riding. I could use my bike as a vehicle for change."

Blood Road will be shown at the Bluebird Theater at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 27, at the Bluebird Theater, 3317 East Colfax Avenue; Rusch will be in attendance to talk about her film. Tickets are $10; get them here.

IMG_2306.JPG

Vietnam Faces New Oil Dispute With China After Beijing Cuts Visit Short
TAIPEI —
https://www.voanews.com/a/vietnam-f...beijing-cuts-visit-short/3915859.html?ref=yfp

China and Vietnam face a stiff new test in avoiding a showdown over undersea oil drilling after Beijing cut short a high-level meeting last week, but experts say the two sides will eventually patch things over.

Fan Changlong, vice chairman of China’s Central Military Commission left early from a “defense border meeting” in Vietnam Thursday due to “working arrangements,” the official Xinhua News Agency in Beijing reported. Fan had met earlier in the week with Vietnam’s Communist Party general secretary, president and prime minister.

Talks cancelled

Neither side is saying officially whether something else led to the cancellation. Analysts who track Vietnam believe it comes down to a disputed South China Sea oil exploration tract in Vietnam’s hands as well as Hanoi’s recent contact with Chinese rivals Japan and the United States.

“Most analysts believe China was either sending Vietnam a signal about its deepening ties with the U.S. and Japan or pressing it to stop exploring for oil near China’s nine-dash line or maybe both,” said Murray Hiebert, senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank in Washington.

China claims most of South China Sea

China claims more than 90 percent of the sea, citing a so-called “nine-dash” demarcation line, though a world arbitration court rejected the legal basis for that claim in 2016.

“Unless Hanoi reads the signal correctly and makes the changes China demands, we can expect Beijing to send more warning shots across Vietnam’s bow in the months to come,” Hiebert said.

Beijing claims to the 3.5 million-square-kilometer sea overlap Vietnam’s exclusive economic zone 370 kilometers off its east and south coasts.

Vietnam explores for oil

China probably pulled its general out of the talks to warn Vietnam about oil exploration at block 136, said Le Hong Hiep, research fellow with ISEAS Yusof Ishak Institute in Singapore. The block lies southeast of mainland Vietnam and near a nine-dash line that China uses to mark its maritime claims stretching from Brunei and Malaysia past the Philippines to Taiwan.

Before cutting short his visit, the Chinese general told Vietnamese leaders the South China Sea islands had belonged to China “since ancient times,” Xinhua said. China uses historic usage as a basis for its maritime claims.

“From the Vietnamese perspective, it’s on the continental shelf of Vietnam and Vietnam has sovereign rights over that area, and furthermore after the ruling last year by the arbitral tribunal, China does not have any legitimate claim over that area,” Le said.

Other reasons for the general to leave

China probably bristled further when the Vietnamese prime minister met U.S. President Donald Trump in May and a group of Japanese politicians the following week. China resents Japan and the United States for offering military aid for Southeast Asian claimants to the disputed sea.

Oil exploration disputes have caused previous confrontations in the volatile China-Vietnam maritime rivalry, giving the latest disagreement a risky edge.

Past incidents

In 2011, Chinese vessels, in the same region in question today, cut a cable being placed underwater by a Vietnamese survey crew, the government in Hanoi said then. In 2014, vessels rammed one another as China’s chief offshore driller positioned an oil rig in waters claimed by Vietnam.

Disputes over maritime sovereignty led to deadly clashes between Vietnam and China in 1974 and 1988, as well.

Hanoi’s state-owned oil firm Petrovietnam says on its website that in 2013 it had signed a contract to explore for oil again at block 136.

“But China insists it’s still a disputed area and they believe that Vietnam is violating a common understanding between the leaderships of the two countries,” Le said. “In the background there is some resentment against Vietnam’s recent rapprochement with the U.S. and Japan as well, so I think there are a few things at work here.”

Reconciliation expected

Vietnam will probably try to put aside the Chinese general’s sudden departure to get along with China, experts say.

“Vietnam cannot afford to have permanent antagonistic relations with China or to go out of their way to antagonize China because they have to sleep with their eyes open every night,” said Carl Thayer, Southeast Asia-specialized emeritus professor of politics at The University of New South Wales in Australia. China has the world’s third strongest armed forces after the United States and Russia.

Calculated exchange

Exchanges over border issues work for both sides, he added. “One, it’s a positive step, but two it also served propaganda functions for both sides to beam back into their country, to netizens who hate each other, cooperation of a positive nature.”

Vietnam and China stepped up dialogue after the world arbitration ruling. Border defense talks had been in place since 2013. Senior leaders also met in January to discuss maritime cooperation that could include a joint search for undersea oil or gas. Both countries also value the sea's fisheries.

China, for its part “has attached high importance to the development of military relations with Vietnam and is willing to join hands with the Vietnam side to further push forward the ties,” Xinhua quotes the Chinese general saying last week.

“Both countries know that they will have to continue to work towards finding a balance where they can both benefit economically and co-exist politically,” said Jonathan Spangler, director of the South China Sea Think Tank in Taipei.

Tokyo, June 25. 400 Japanese students sit down for the first ever "Vietnamese language" national exam of Japan. The test is hosted by the Japan's Southeast Asian linguistics exchange and universalisation. Experts from Japan College of Foreign Languages predict, thousands of Japanese would take the next exam as studying in Vietnam becomes popular. Interesting stuff.

IMG_2307.JPG

The image of America in the world has sharply deteriorated after Donald Trump takes office. Interesting, the US is seen more in better light in only two countries: Vietnam and Russia. The approval rating of Vietnamese towards America increases from 76 to 84 percent according to survey of the Pew Research Center.

IMG_2308.JPG

Back
Top Bottom