What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.
also a thank you to @Viet for your response.

One more question, no offense, can Vietnam nowadays manufacturer the engines or transmission for T54/55 MBT? To me, if Vietnam really wants to keep these grandpa tanks for another 30 or 50 years, there is no other way but to produce the core spare parts on your own.
The official and simple answer is no, we cannot and do not manufacture the engine or transmission for these tanks. That's why the AMV upgrade package includes a new engine.

And we will keep them for 50 years maybe, but under long term reserve. The T-34s are approaching 70 years old and we have put all of them into storage. Same thing will happen with the T-54/55 and Type-59.

The official and simple answer is no, we cannot and do not manufacture the engine or transmission for these tanks. That's why the AMV upgrade package includes a new engine.

And we will keep them for 50 years maybe, but under long term reserve. The T-34s are approaching 70 years old and we have put all of them into storage. Same thing will happen with the T-54/55 and Type-59.

thanks again for the response.
Then it means the fleet size of these old tanks will be gradually shrunk, for example to disassemble the parts from three bad conditioned tanks to make sure the good condition of one tank. There is no other easy short cut.

High temperature and humidity are the largest enemies to equipment storage, especially to the long years old equipment.

Good luck

Last edited:
thanks again for the response.
Then it means the fleet size of these old tanks will be gradually shrunk, for example to disassemble the parts from three bad conditioned tanks to make sure the good condition of one tank. There is no other easy short cut.

High temperature and humidity are the largest enemies to equipment storage, especially to the long years old equipment.

Good luck
Yup. As we cannot replace thousands of tanks instantly, they'll be gradually phased out and likely cannibalized for spare parts in the long term.

That and the increasing number of T-90MS MBT.

Report: Taiwan building anti-aircraft gun towers in South China Sea
Report-Taiwan-building-anti-aircraft-gun-towers-in-South-China-Sea.jpg

TAIPEI, Taiwan, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- Taiwan may be building anti-aircraft defenses on Taiping Island in the South China Sea as China continues to conduct military exercises in the maritime region.

Taiping, also known as Itu Aba Island, is the largest of the disputed Spratly Islands that have been claimed by China, Taiwan, Vietnam and the Philippines.

According to Taiwanese newspaper China Times and other local sources, satellite images show the Taiwan-occupied island now includes new construction that includes what appears to be anti-aircraft gun blockhouse towers.

The local press report included images from Google Maps of four new buildings, built in the shape of concrete tetrapod structures.

The buildings appear to be about three to four stories tall and face the island's western coast, and are five to six times bigger than the existing 40-mm anti-aircraft weapons systems on the island.

The buildings are likely being used as anti-aircraft gun blockhouse towers, according to the report.

Qian Qichen, a lawmaker with Taiwan's Nationalist Party, had confirmed the existence of the buildings after visiting Taiping in July, but did not elaborate on their use.

Qian was visiting the island to stake out Taiwan's territorial claims.

Some experts say the buildings may also be being used as early warning facilities, according to Taiwan's FTV News.

I have to disagree. Too much territory for its military.
If you look at Australia, what do you have in mind? Correct. a country at the end of the world, massive land mass, abundant natural resources, lots of kangaroos and beautiful beach girls :D

But Australia's problem is the lack of people. those few Aussie have to defend the country against perceived hostile close and distant neighbors (you can guess whom. A tip: it is not Vietnam) and fulfill their obligation in the military alliance with America and England. But thanks heaven and natural resources they have money to buy weapons. Don't need to blame Australia. Nor Singapore. Both have one thing in common: rich. And if you are rich but your neighbors are poor, what would you do? Yes, you build up a big wall, buying guns, hiring security guards. GDP per capita, Singapore and Australia have the highest military spending on this planet. The world is bad.

The trio America, Japan and England will rescue Australia should it come to a war.

I've read news today that China is building a big port in Cambodia that can be used as a naval base. Cambodia is becoming a problem.

I can see that need to up the military presence in Phu Quoc island. Set up a real naval base, air defenses and a battery of anti ship missiles.

@Silent Knight Your opinion?

I've read news today that China is building a big port in Cambodia that can be used as a naval base. Cambodia is becoming a problem.

I can see that need to up the military presence in Phu Quoc island. Set up a real naval base, air defenses and a battery of anti ship missiles.

@Silent Knight Your opinion?
Nah, I won't say anything. But you should know that it was not unexpected for us. :p:

Another batch of military vehicle has reached our harbor. From IAG, these are Guardian APC.

14368789_920190244754152_3354364195269089696_n.jpg

14446063_920190278087482_2072511626438063399_n.jpg

Phu Quoc has become a major military base when the Red Khmer army attacked our island in the 1970s. I also believe the army will take necessary measures if there are new emerging threats in the southern theater. But that is a game we can't win. the Chinese have more men more money more military hardware more resources more everything. They build 10 naval bases in a year, while we build one. If any. Such news makes me happy: the government just approves a $310 million sea port in quang ninh. Strategically more important as it lies in South China Sea.

images666002_3-1.jpg

Read more at http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/343149/pm-approves-quang-ninh-seaport.html#FI6L6QI5PztMBPyw.99

Last edited:
More pictures of the Guardian APC with turret shield and fire holes visible.

14344053_653359634833606_4288319646933270469_n.jpg

14448939_160936587685609_2470490663894739014_n.jpg
Looks not too bad. Are they for the police or army? What about the specs and how many pieces are bought? I suppose we install Vietnam made machine guns?

Looks not too bad. Are they for the police or army? What about the specs and how many pieces are bought? I suppose we install Vietnam made machine guns?

Fairly good for a APC. The armor is B7 - rated so 7.62mm armor piercing and shell fragment wont get through. 10 fully loaded troops can be carried inside and since it got flexible mounting, we can install whatever we want. While im not sure who will be the main user, the Police already got RAM 2000 and Barracuda so i think this may go to the Army

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom