What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Well, first of all, you have gone way too far on analyzing my comment regarding your first paragraph. I was wrong about you because you're defending AQ, who lacks the knowledge about Democracy, Social structure & orders and technology. This guy never live in a Democratic country and study in a Democratic country. I'm not asking who you shouldn't or should defend. I know that is your choice. I'm just more surprised that you are defending his wrong about Democracy and how little he understand technology and his government, VCP. I never said you are naive. You are putting words in my mouth. I've always known you to be careful with your wordings. Your command of the English language is better than most people on PDF. It means you have a lot of patient which I can respect that.

"hen by all means you have the right to criticize or discuss issues wrt VN. But do it with proper data and intelligence, don’t just scream out slogans like “VN govt is destroying the country”, “VCP dont know how to rule” or outright lies like “VCP is controlled by CCP”"

Carlosa has his reason to criticize just like you and me and AQ. My criticisms are mostly based on fact and data as you have mentioned above. Although, you and AQ don't acknowledge it. And that's fine with me. Of course, I want Vietnam to be a much better place, who doesn't? My opinion is still valid regarding how VCP is operating very ineffectively and inefficiently and you know it. I've done many organizational work and I understand how companies are run. Not all are effective and efficient. I pointed out to you the reasons for that inefficiency and ineffectiveness. Not all datas are leaked into the public for someone like yourself to read. The best data I got is my own experience. You can't compare me to some articles you read online. We are all human beings, and the more people you're exposed to, then the more you understand them. You should have ask me and those Vietnamese why we said those things to VCP. But again, I'm not VCP nor are those people who criticize the VCP. In the end, all we can do is voice it out. It is up to the VCP to make that happen.

Why didn't the VCP realize it sooner? because they didn't know that China would turn their backs on them. Which open up their eyes and mind to USA. They know they cannot depend on the Russian alone because the Russian are in their own best interest, not VIETNAM.

He is usually careful with words and has a good analytical mind, but he is starting to lose his edge recently. His emotions get in the way of his mind.

I have political positions about Vietnam and others, but I don't get involved in Vietnamese politics because of some very practical reasons that I recently mentioned, but I do talk about corruption, that issue does boil my blood and as I said the other day, corruption is widely talked about in Vietnam by the press, the people and the government so nobody here has a right to try to curtail the issue. Nobody can give gag orders in PDF. The ones that try to close the discussion and prefer to ignore the issue are acting out of false pride and false nationalism. Self criticism is supposed to be a virtue..........

@Carlosa
@3Kingdoms

we have a big island in the South China Sea. and not many people know about it. we can upgrade the infrastructure, making it to a naval base, to a military stronghold: Côn Đảo. Basing S-400 long range radar and air defence missiles there. the distance between the island and the spratlys is about 550 km. currently a hidden hotspot for holidaymakers. the islands have everything needed for people to live.

View attachment 317183

map-travel-con-dao-vietnam_1382667929.jpg

six-senses-con-dao-resort_arhitektura-13.jpg

sixsenses_460x385_scaled_cropp.jpg

10692965-six-senses-con-dao-vietnam.jpg

Con-Dao-Island.jpg

when a russian media reports a potential sale of 4 divisions of S-400 airdefence system to Vietnam, then the thing gets a serious touch. the russians know how to make weapons. Let bring S-400 to Côn Đảo island.

http://rbth.com/news/2016/07/12/vietnam-eyes-s-400-triumf-system_610777

russia-S-400-air-defense-system-800x350.jpg

S400_Triumf_air_defense_missile_systems.jpg

61009d6d-4761-49d8-97d7-19b95b417bed.jpg

Also Phú Quý Island, 120 km from Pan Thiet.

Con Dao and Phú Quý Islands definitely are strategic locations and if nothing else, they are good locations for radars (Phú Quý already have one, I imagine Con Dao also) to provide some early detection of chinese aircraft / missiles, etc.

Con Dao has a port and air strip. Maybe they need to get expanded for more military use.

Some pictures of Phú Quý Island:

434738995_01882ac8eb_o.jpg
3.jpg
radar station at the top of Mount Cam Phu Quy island.jpg
wwc1362620071.jpg

Last edited:
Meh i wrote a giant piece of reply and no one going to keep wrestle with me about how "baseless" and "limited" i am anymore ? Such a shame right ?

Anywhere here is an old article about North Korea anti - ship missile which strikingly similar to Kh-35 which currently in use which Vietnam and some countries. I believe that VN still hold a relation that more than pure words with NK although NK is way reliance on our Northern neighbor. Still, if the theory in the article about Vietnam is correct, what kind of technoly did we receive back from NK ?

http://www.koreandefense.com/the-north-korean-kh-35-a-closer-look/

My guess is a smart country would want technology so they engineer nuance to their particular region of operations. Besides Vietnam has the ultimate trump card China doesn't want ever happening, give Cam Ranh port to foreign power - maybe even a north port or THAAD! Vietnam doesn't want this but its a possibility nonetheless.
"Annam borders on China; her security concerns us. China's protection of that country should have no difference from that of Chinese provinces." - Marquis Zeng Jize 1881

@Viet @Carlosa - this is wishful thinking here but with the Spartly Island of Vietnam how I wish they would turn those islands into a tourist destination. Firstly we get international funding for the project (I know this is hard sell), international funding means any attack on those islands will automatically attack the nation of funds 'Hedging'. Also warfare is not just about bombs and bullets, this modern warfare involves information and public opinions, hence an enemy would dare not attack a place of international tourism (they could intimidate though). And who wouldn't want to holiday in the beautiful spartly islands where one can chillax while neighboring islands perform military drills.
Check out these floating island we could link small island to island creating a chain. Because of tourist maybe we could secure region of fishing EEZ? Hire foreign as well as local coast guard as 'Hedging'.
Floating & maneuverable
haaaa looks great futuristic, surely a would-be nice holiday hotspot. hope the government realizes the strategic importance of remote islands and developes them. our country is very small in the middle, not having a strategic depth as it should be like other countries with big land mass. money, technology is the way to go. and most importantly, people in the authority that realize what needs to be done.

also, a strategic island: Cồn Cỏ before the coast in central Vietnam

Con%20Co5.jpg

dao_1_NQBR.jpg

dao_2_QSAT.jpg

dao_3_SMMW.jpg

dao_4_WRIA.jpg

dao_7_HQWL.jpg

dao_12_WFNS.jpg

apparently, besides the chinese, there are more people that can build light-houses.

dao_11_WACE.jpg

@Carlosa
@3Kingdoms

we have a big island in the South China Sea. and not many people know about it. we can upgrade the infrastructure, making it to a naval base, to a military stronghold: Côn Đảo. Basing S-400 long range radar and air defence missiles there. the distance between the island and the spratlys is about 550 km. currently a hidden hotspot for holidaymakers. the islands have everything needed for people to live.

View attachment 317183

map-travel-con-dao-vietnam_1382667929.jpg

six-senses-con-dao-resort_arhitektura-13.jpg

sixsenses_460x385_scaled_cropp.jpg

10692965-six-senses-con-dao-vietnam.jpg

Con-Dao-Island.jpg

when a russian media reports a potential sale of 4 divisions of S-400 airdefence system to Vietnam, then the thing gets a serious touch. the russians know how to make weapons. Let bring S-400 to Côn Đảo island.

http://rbth.com/news/2016/07/12/vietnam-eyes-s-400-triumf-system_610777

russia-S-400-air-defense-system-800x350.jpg

S400_Triumf_air_defense_missile_systems.jpg

61009d6d-4761-49d8-97d7-19b95b417bed.jpg

More pictures of Con Dao island:

banner_con_dao.jpg
Con Dao island-1.jpg
Con Dao island-2.gif
con_dao_airport.jpg
Con_Dao.jpg
Con-dao-island1.jpeg
Con-Dao-Promenade.png
640px-ATR72-200_at_Co_Ong.jpg

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/sc...etnam-strengthen-outer-space-cooperation.html

Russia, Vietnam strengthen outer space cooperation

20160628184433-spacew.jpg

Under the MoU, the two sides will work together in prioritised areas of mutual interest, including earth and outer space exploration, satellite positioning and satellite launch services, and research on physics-astronomy and other planets.

In order to implement joint national-level projects, Roscosmos and VAST will set up a joint group on outer space cooperation.

In 2014, Russia’s State Duma approved an agreement on cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes between Russia and Vietnam.

The document defined necessary principles and conditions to develop bilateral cooperation in outer space exploration.

Vietnam is getting S-400!

Vietnam eyes S-400 air defense system

by Echelon-Defense

After China, Vietnam might become the second country to acquire the state-of-art Russian S-400 air defense system.

According to Asian sources, Vietnam is interested in purchasing at least four divisions before year end.

It is worth mentioning that India is also in negotiations to buy the system.

More pictures of Con Dao island:
this particular picture of the island looks promising: large land reclamation connecting two parts of the island, with artificial lakes, a sea port and a beautiful runway. my dream may come true with Su-30 bombers :D

con_dao_airport-jpg.317458

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/sc...m-to-launch-another-satellite-into-orbit.html

Vietnam to launch another satellite into orbit

20160413173313-satellite.jpg

Through the program supporting the development of Earth observation satellites for training purposes in the developing countries of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), it is scheduled that in 2018, the Epsilon rocket (Japan) manufactured by IHI Aerospace will carry Vietnam’s MicroDragon satellite to orbit.

Dr. Pham Anh Tuan, Director of the Vietnam Space Center (VNSC), said the satellite MicroDragon with the size of 50 x 50 x 50 cm and a weight of 50 kg is being developed by the young experts of VNSC with the assistance of Japanese professors Japan, using the funds of VNSC.

The MicroDragon satellite is designed and launched to orbit with missions of observing the coastal waters to assess water quality, locate aquatic resources, track the change of phenomena occurring in the coastal waters to serve the aquaculture industry of Vietnam.

This satellite will also detect the coverage of clouds, the nature of aerosols to serve the atmospheric correction, receive sensor signals on the ground and then quickly transfer the data to the places that are very far from each other on earth. At the same time, MicroDragon will also test new materials (Atomic Oxygen, Antimony Tin Oxide Coating Solar Cell).

Tuan said, following the success of the satellite PicoDragon, VNSC sent 36 engineers to five leading Japanese universities to participate in the training course on satellite technology, and to directly design, manufacture and test the MicroDragon satellite under the guidance of Japanese professors.

With this project breakthrough, Vietnamese engineers not only have the opportunity to acquire basic knowledge about satellite technology but also to directly be involved in manufacturing the MicroDragon satellite.

Along with the help of JAXA, once the MicroDragon satellite is put into operation as expected, it will realize Vietnam’s process to master satellite technology, Tuan said.

Well i guess in the end, coward will always be coward. Very loud mound but cant get a tiny piece of reality. Dont even have the gut to argue about the reality with many striking examples but no, he still think he got "fact and data" :v. I probably need to go reside in United States in order to get a new "insight" on what type "democracy wet dream theory" he is having.

Pass out on that. Here is C2A Greyhound that is currently in Da Nang for the US ambassador Ted visiting the carrier fleet . Specialized 2 engine cargo plane for carrier operation. Work out great on short runway.
13737647_975369445919349_5322267458693043293_o.jpg

Well i guess in the end, coward will always be coward. Very loud mound but cant get a tiny piece of reality. Dont even have the gut to argue about the reality with many striking examples but no, he still think he got "fact and data" :v. I probably need to go reside in United States in order to get a new "insight" on what type "democracy wet dream theory" he is having.

Pass out on that. Here is C2A Greyhound that is currently in Da Nang for the US ambassador Ted visiting the carrier fleet . Specialized 2 engine cargo plane for carrier operation. Work out great on short runway.
13737647_975369445919349_5322267458693043293_o.jpg
come on let us continue on topic...

nice picture of the airplanes. but I wonder about the tail: is it a rising sun?

Replenishment Vessel

a new oil tanker with capacity of 2,000 m3 fuel for the Navy operating at sea

the first ever domestically built replenishment oiler. designed and manufactured by Hồng Hà Shipyard, total displacement 4,300 tons, length 90m, wide 14m, top speed 13.5 knots, capable of operating at sea non-stop for 45 days, max range 6,000 miles. Besides fuel, it offers 500m3 fresh water, 300 tons food, 30 tons frozen food, 80 tons vegetables.

f5e04ed9.jpg

this particular picture of the island looks promising: large land reclamation connecting two parts of the island, with artificial lakes, a sea port and a beautiful runway. my dream may come true with Su-30 bombers :D

con_dao_airport-jpg.317458

At least those islands are big enough for an air base, there are mountains that protect many areas from storms, etc. At 185 km from the coast, it might make sense to have a base there, its about 40% of the distance to the Spratlys.

Some more info about Con Dao Island:

Côn Đảo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Côn Đảo Islands are an archipelago of Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu Province, in the Southeast region of Vietnam, and a district of this province.

Description

Situated about 185 km (115 mi) from Vũng Tàu and 230 km (143 mi) from Ho Chi Minh City, the group includes 16 mountainous islands and islets. The total land area reaches 75.15 km2 and the local population is about 5,000.

The islands are composed of magmatic rocks of different ages. Hon Bay Canh, Hon Cau, Hon Bong Lang
composed of Cretaceous microgranit rocks. The Northern part of Con Dao Island composed of quartz diorite and granite - granodiorit of late Mesozoic- early Cenozoic age, and is partially covered by Quaternary marine sediments. The Southern part of this island and Hon Ba island are composed of the riolit and intrusive formations of unknown age. In the western slop of Con Dao Island, there exists of outcrops of diorite and microgranit penetrated by big quartz bands.

The island group is served by Côn Đảo Airport situated on the largest island in the Archipelago: Côn Sơn Island.

Coordinates: 8°41!35"N 106°36!34"E

History

Formally a Khmer Empire territory known as Koh Tralach islands were settled by the Vietnamese by the 17th century.

On June 16, 1702, the English East India Company founded a settlement on Pulo Condore as an entrepôt for

ships plying between India and China.[1] Three years later on March 2, 1705, the English agents were murdered, the factory destroyed, and the remaining settlers were expelled by the Vietnamese.

During the internecine wars for the Court of Hue, the Nguyen Prince Nguyễn Phúc Ánh ceded the islands to France in the Treaty of Versailles (1787) in return for military assistance. The treaty however was abrogated as France failed to provide the aid.

It was only under conquest that the islands came under French control in 1861. During the French colonial era, the island was made infamous for its penal facilities and the notorious "tiger cages".
Vietnamese nationalists were sent here to serve their sentence for anti-French activities. Many Vietnamese Communist leaders were "schooled" on Côn Đảo Island as well.

The French Indochinese government named the group of islands Poulo-Condore Islands, a name that derives from the islands' Malay name Pulo Condore (pulo as a corruption of pulau, meaning "island").

Côn Đảo National Park

Many of the islands were given protected status in 1984 as part of Côn Đảo National Park. This natural preserve was subsequently enlarged in 1998. Endangered species protected within the park include the hawksbill turtle, the green turtle and the dugong. Ecosystems represented in the park include seagrass meadow, mangrove and coral reefs.

Côn Đảo National Park is working with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Vietnam to further protection in the marine areas, with programs to establish a Marine Protected Area that protects coral reefs, seagrass beds and species, while also developing sustainable nature-based ecotourism. The island's management is strongly geared towards sustainable use, hoping to learn from previous experiences in Vietnam and the region to balance development with conservation.

List of islands

Côn Sơn Islands include 16 islands, with a total area of 76 km2.
Côn Lôn Island or Côn Sơn (Grande-Condore), Phú Hải, 51.52 km2

Little Côn Lôn Island (Petite-Condore), or Hòn Bà, Phú Sơn, 5.45 km2 Bảy Cạnh Island, or Bãi Cạnh Island, Phú Hòa, 5.5 km2
Cau Island, or Phú Lệ 1.8 km2
Bông Lan Island, or Bông Lang, Bông Lau, Phú Phong, 0.2 km2
Vung Island, or Phú Vinh 0.15 km2
Ngọc Island, or Trọc Island, hòn Trai, Phú Nghĩa, 0.4 km2
Trứng Island, or Đá Bạc Island, Đá Trắng Island, Phú Thọ, 0.1 km2 Tài Lớn Island, or Phú Bình 0.38 km2
Tài Nhỏ Island, or Thỏ Island, Phú An, 0.1 km2
Trác Lớn Island, or Phú Hưng 0.25 km2
Trác Nhỏ Island, or Phú Thịnh 0.1 km2
Tre Lớn Island, or Phú Hòa 0.75 km2
Tre Nhỏ Island, or Phú Hội, 0.25 km2
Anh Island, or Trứng Lớn Island
Em Island, or Trứng Nhỏ Island

come on let us continue on topic...

nice picture of the airplanes. but I wonder about the tail: is it a rising sun?

Indeed :) As you can see, the plane belong to the VRC - 30 aka Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 30. Whenever the carrier fleet is, several of these guys will be around. In this case, VRC - 30 is station in Atsugi Naval Air Facility, Japan which support CVN Ronald Reagan and the fleet. Ambassador Ted Osius Just have a visit to that carrier hence the appearance of this aircraft

Back
Top Bottom