What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

looks great the new Osa.

It does look good with 8 KH-35s, that's one hell of a punch for a small ship like that, the ship has a very low profile so its not easy to detect, but I don't know how far out into the sea it can go since its quite small and is old anyway. It would probably be a good asset to deploy in the islands that have a harbor.

If it were up to me, I would do the following:

1) I would make a version of the TT-400TP as a missile boat and it would also be a follow on of the Molniya class.
The TT-400TP is only 4 meters shorter than the Molniya, so in order to have enough space for the missiles, radar, etc, it would need to be stretched a little bit, so it would be at least the same size as the Molniya or a bit longer, so its also a follow on of the Molniya. I would redesign the superstructure of the ship for full stealth and it would carry 16 KH-35 missiles same as the Molniya and it could also be a version with 8 Yakhont / Klub missiles.

2) I would make a version of the FC 624 as a littoral ASW ship with a full ASW package and helipad.

3) I would make a stretched version of the FC 624, probably around 900-1000 tons, as a corvette with helipad and 8 Yakhont / Klub missiles. Full stealth features in the super structure of the ship. Decent air defense system. This would be a great boat to patrol the Spratlys, etc and not too expensive.

How does this sound?

Oi choi oi 16 KH-35 on a TT400 could be too much. Actually I dont like small FAC much because they can not survive missile hits (unless you jam in lots of those Barak-1 like the Israeli). So they are only good for coastal area. But then operating land based Bal-E is cheaper isn’t it?

While ASW cannot be landbased so operating lots of small cheap ASW boat to patrol the long coastal EEZ is a must. Then the Kilo can be used for attack role beyond the EEZ.

So TT400 and the new FC class can be converted to ASW role. Your streched FC is good because it would be big enough to be fitted with short range SAM. If not then, poor crew, its more of a kamakazi ship like the molniya. Hit and pray, not hit and run. Fire and pray that all the enemy ships get sunk, because you dont have decent air defence and you can never outrun a counter AshM.

looks great the new Osa.

"F" stands either for "fast" or "fcking fast" :D

Then what does the C stand for? China? so its “Fast China”???

Then what does the C stand for? China? so its “Fast China”???
no way. it´s "cứu nạn". for rescue. this vessel class is destined for rescue missions.

Nhà máy X51 hạ thủy tàu tuần tra, cứu nạn FC624-01 | Chính trị - Xã hội | Thanh Niên

cac-dai-bieu-bo-tong-tham-m_qayy.jpg

It does look good with 8 KH-35s, that's one hell of a punch for a small ship like that, the ship has a very low profile so its not easy to detect, but I don't know how far out into the sea it can go since its quite small and is old anyway. It would probably be a good asset to deploy in the islands that have a harbor.
indeed. hit and run. we can never catch up with the chinese in terms of number (they build some 60 vessels a year).

the hell ? is that half English and half Vietnamese ? :v

BTW this FC624-01 look a lot like the Rubin-class of Russian Navy , nearly the same size . This probably mean we can install the same weaponry as it

no way. it´s "cứu nạn". for rescue. this vessel class is destined for rescue missions.

Then where is the N? and why is there a F in front where we dont use F in our alphabet?

the hell ? is that half English and half Vietnamese ? :v

I think its in full English. C is probably for China, because we are comrade with China...I’m trying to figure out what the F stand for :v

Then where is the N? and why is there a F in front where we dont use F in our alphabet?

I think its in full English. C is probably for China, because we are comrade with China...I’m trying to figure out what the F stand for :v
LOL the chinese mod will ban you immediately if you speak out loud :rofl:

FC = Friend of China?

People say Vietnamese coast guard are very friendly with Chinese coast guard, when they meet, always say hi, hug each other. :lol:

Oi choi oi 16 KH-35 on a TT400 could be too much. Actually I dont like small FAC much because they can not survive missile hits (unless you jam in lots of those Barak-1 like the Israeli). So they are only good for coastal area. But then operating land based Bal-E is cheaper isn’t it?

If the Molniya has 16 KH-35, then an enlarged TT400 can also have then and don't forget that I said at least as large as the Molniya or a bit bigger. If its a bit bigger then it can pack a decent short range air defense system, that's my view of the ship. Still, its a better deal than the Molniya that has no stealth and uses the same design of the Tarantul, I think about 40 years old. Actually, I find it quite amazing that when everybody is building ships with stealth features, Vietnam is building a 40 year old Tarantul design (I'm talking about the vessel itself, not the weapon systems).

Last edited:

F.... f.v.c.k ???...:lol:......:rofl:

While ASW cannot be landbased so operating lots of small cheap ASW boat to patrol the long coastal EEZ is a must. Then the Kilo can be used for attack role beyond the EEZ.

So TT400 and the new FC class can be converted to ASW role. Your streched FC is good because it would be big enough to be fitted with short range SAM. If not then, poor crew, its more of a kamakazi ship like the molniya. Hit and pray, not hit and run. Fire and pray that all the enemy ships get sunk, because you dont have decent air defence and you can never outrun a counter AshM.?

My idea for a stretched TT400, lets say about 60 meters, its to deploy it in the islands in good numbers and also to use them as wolf packs for hit and run missions (same as the Molniya). The stretched FC ship as a 1000 ton corvette. more for patrol duty in the whole area of the EEC and Spratlys as a ship that has much more endurance and more capabilities and also a helicopter.

Don't discount small ships like the Molniya so easily, I used to read from an Indian navy captain how it was very difficult for them to detect the Tarantul ships hiding among the waves and they were only able to detect them when they would get targeted by their missile fire control radars.

Last edited:
All the Osa-class boats (8 of them ) and 4 remaining Shershen-class will soon be transfer to either Coast Guard or Fisheries Control , their missiles launcher or torpedo launcher will be removed while retaining the AK-230 or also be replaced with some machine gun . They were too old and no upgrade is available to increase their effectiveness while we already have the Molniya-class and TT-400TP which is simply superior , all they got left is their speed :)

How about the 4 Tarantul ships, to be upgraded or replaced?

This is the news from foreign papers, VN papers havent confirmed yet.

--------------------------------

Vietnam defence minister dies in France after cancer treatment
x281398130483371225.jpg

Vietnam’s Minister of Defence died on Sunday at a French hospital where he was being treated for lung cancer, a military source said.

General Phung Quang Thanh, who was 66, was considered a rising star in the Vietnamese Communist Party before his illness.

He died Sunday at Georges Pompidou Hospital, the military source told dpa. The source declined to be named as he is not authorized to tell media.

Rumours about Thanh’s illness began circulating with his absence from recent army events. In early July, Pham Gia Khai, a member of the Board for Protection and Care of the Health of Central-Level Officials, confirmed that Thanh was recovering from surgery for a lung tumor in France. He said that the general's condition was good and that he would return to Vietnam in two weeks.

Thanh had been considered a likely candidate to take up the position of Vietnamese president at the country's next party congress, sources said.

http://dalje.com/en-world/vietnam-defence-minister-dies-in-france-after-cancer-treatment/550644?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: daljeenglish (dalje.com English)

This is the news from foreign papers, VN papers havent confirmed yet.

--------------------------------

Vietnam defence minister dies in France after cancer treatment
x281398130483371225.jpg

Vietnam’s Minister of Defence died on Sunday at a French hospital where he was being treated for lung cancer, a military source said.

General Phung Quang Thanh, who was 66, was considered a rising star in the Vietnamese Communist Party before his illness.

He died Sunday at Georges Pompidou Hospital, the military source told dpa. The source declined to be named as he is not authorized to tell media.

Rumours about Thanh’s illness began circulating with his absence from recent army events. In early July, Pham Gia Khai, a member of the Board for Protection and Care of the Health of Central-Level Officials, confirmed that Thanh was recovering from surgery for a lung tumor in France. He said that the general's condition was good and that he would return to Vietnam in two weeks.

Thanh had been considered a likely candidate to take up the position of Vietnamese president at the country's next party congress, sources said.

http://dalje.com/en-world/vietnam-defence-minister-dies-in-france-after-cancer-treatment/550644?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: daljeenglish (dalje.com English)

What is that true?

@Aqsuperman can you comfirm if that English news is real?

This is the latest article from Soha today, he is still in France...whether he recovered or not? :o:

“Ngày nào tôi cũng gọi điện tới Đại tướng Phùng Quang Thanh” | Xã hội | soha.vn

“Anh ấy bệnh về phổi nên chưa nên đi máy bay về ngay. Chuyến bay sẽ kéo dài 12 tiếng đồng hồ liên tục trên độ cao 10.000m, nên cần để sức khỏe bình phục hoàn toàn rồi hãy về.”

How about the 4 Tarantul ships, to be upgraded or replaced?
Well i think that the most likely choice is upgrading but if the higher up consider that building more Molniya is more economical and transfer the rest of the old missile boats to the civillian section then it cant be help

What is that true?

@Aqsuperman can you comfirm if that English news is real?

This is the latest article from Soha today, he is still in France...whether he recovered or not

well i already done some research , dalje.com is some kind of a Croatia tabloid , not really a reliable source if you ask me , and lol look at all those Vietnamese comment , i bet 9 out of 10 never even heard about that newspaper name and yet they start proving how shit brain they are :v

Back
Top Bottom