What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

If it's available, I suggest Vietnam should buy 3 nuclear submarines from USA.
Virginia-class Block V for example.

Its much better to go russian, and ask Yasen or Akula.

Definitely. And Spain has 6 of these ship of the line in active service. By far one of the largest active 'heavy frigates' / 'light destroyers' of AEGIS platform in the entire European naval forces. Not even Germany, France or Britain fields that many AEGIS system.

Like i said, Spanish Navy is silent, but f@cking deadly.

You know? The American navy have a lot of issues lately because the number of ships is going down, the LCS ships turned out to be a disaster, etc, etc. Part of the problem is that they keep building ships that are too big and too expensive and of course not enough money to keep the quantities. The Bazan light destroyer type of ship is something that they should look into, combine heavy and light ships, not everything super heavy and super expensive.

Its much better to go russian, and ask Yasen or Akula.

That's all beyond Vietnam's means, I think BoQ77 had too much Vietnamese vodka. :woot:

You know? The American navy have a lot of issues lately because the number of ships is going down, the LCS ships turned out to be a disaster, etc, etc. Part of the problem is that they keep building ships that are too big and too expensive and of course not enough money to keep the quantities. The Bazan light destroyer type of ship is something that they should look into, combine heavy and light ships, not everything super heavy and super expensive.

In my opinion, the decision for the United States to phase out their frigate program was a bad mistake. I agree with you about the cost effectiveness aspect. Without a doubt the US Navy fields the greatest number of AEGIS Destroyers , but its not practical (fiscally and strategically) to be sending these destroyers for littoral observation or for patrol when that objective can be completed easily by a Frigate (ergo, the Perry Class Frigate) or a frigate squadron. That's just my view. The USN isn't even creating a successor to their Ticonderoga Class Cruisers, as they're focusing more so on destroyers. This is a bad idea, imho.

That's all beyond Vietnam's means, I think BoQ77 had too much Vietnamese vodka. :woot:

LOL! I think @NiceGuy is the one that drank too much of that 'fire water' ....

In my opinion, the decision for the United States to phase out their frigate program was a bad mistake. I agree with you about the cost effectiveness aspect. Without a doubt the US Navy fields the greatest number of AEGIS Destroyers , but its not practical (fiscally and strategically) to be sending these destroyers for littoral observation or for patrol when that objective can be completed easily by a Frigate (ergo, the Perry Class Frigate) or a frigate squadron. That's just my view. The USN isn't even creating a successor to their Ticonderoga Class Cruisers, as they're focusing more so on destroyers. This is a bad idea, imho..

Totally right, the Perry frigates were fulfilling a mission and to replace them with the LCS that can't even survive in a combat situation and at 700 million a piece on top of everything is crazy. All they can do is patrol against pirates.

In my opinion, the decision for the United States to phase out their frigate program was a bad mistake. I agree with you about the cost effectiveness aspect. Without a doubt the US Navy fields the greatest number of AEGIS Destroyers , but its not practical (fiscally and strategically) to be sending these destroyers for littoral observation or for patrol when that objective can be completed easily by a Frigate (ergo, the Perry Class Frigate) or a frigate squadron. That's just my view. The USN isn't even creating a successor to their Ticonderoga Class Cruisers, as they're focusing more so on destroyers. This is a bad idea, imho.

Meanwhile, the chinese are building the type 55 cruiser which is a total beast. The way the chinese are developing the navy its a lot smarter than the Americans. More balanced, more cost effective, they are covering all the corners.

Russia is not exporting the missiles to India, India is making them, not the same thing. MTCR limitations don't apply to self production of missiles.

It is a russian missile or based on a russian missile... and hence india cant get it.. MTCR doesnt imply ony when some country builds an indigenous missile.. exporting,production from other countries = Prohibited.

On the Alvaro de Bazan Class of the Royal Spanish Navy,

View attachment 191654

View attachment 191655

meh.. i wish we had our navy had these... :(

Totally right, the Perry frigates were fulfilling a mission and to replace them with the LCS that can't even survive in a combat situation and at 700 million a piece on top of everything is crazy. All they can do is patrol against pirates.

Meanwhile, the chinese are building the type 55 cruiser which is a total beast. The way the chinese are developing the navy its a lot smarter than the Americans. More balanced, more cost effective, they are covering all the corners.

1. What American try to do the best is limiting the quantity while keeping the hi tech advantage to other. And get the minimum operation cost. American get big profit to export their weapons even apply the strict policy. For example F-35.

2. China try to close the gap to American, and because their testing phase on going, still can't control both the quantity and operation cost. China still get small money for their weapon export, to recover the cost of development.
Anyway, both of them has been spending hundreds billion dollars.
----------
My suggestion: USA should leave regional missions ( LCS ... ) to their allies while keeping the steel punch ( nuclear submarines, strategic airforce ) ready to assist.

What they could immediately do to make the difference : launch the space aircrafts and shoot down all of enemy satellites, and within 1 day replace all of their satellites by similar project as ALASA.

My suggestion: USA should leave regional missions ( LCS ... ) to their allies while keeping the steel punch ( nuclear submarines, strategic airforce ) ready to assist..

I think that's a very good idea, but of course that requires to have allies wiling to do the job, Japan seems to be willing to do that, but I don't see anybody else yet. Most other countries don't want to anger china or are not powerful enough to do the job at the moment.

Last edited:
I think that's a very good idea, but of course that requires to have allies wiling to do the job, Japan seems to be willing to do that, but I don't see anybody else yet. Most other countries don't want to anger china or are not powerful enough to do the job at the moment.

There would be Asean Coast Guard.
At this moment, Taiwan Coast Guard did the job of pushing out their invaders to Taiwan EEZ.
Last year, Vietnam did that, give them more big ships and they would do that harder.
Still cheaper than US themselves intervene

There would be Asean Coast Guard.
At this moment, Taiwan Coast Guard did the job of pushing out their invaders to Taiwan EEZ.
Last year, Vietnam did that, give them more big ships and they would do that harder.
Still cheaper than US themselves intervene

Yes, equipment and a firm commitment from US that they will intervene if things get too hot, that's the tricky part. I think it could be possible in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam has recently unveiled its new own design 105mm wheeled self-propelled howitzer.

Vietnam has designed and manufactured its own wheeled self-propelled gun based on a military truck chassis fitted with a 105 mm M101 towed gun. Recently, a Vietnamese army newspaper published some pictures take during first firing test with the new self-propelled howitzer.

The Ground Forces of Vietnam are currently equipped with lot of towed howitzer produced by United States as the M101 but also with Russian-made howitzers as D-20 152mm and D-30 122mm.

The M101 is 105mm towed howitzer designed and manufactured in United States. The M101 fires its own type of ammunitions and it has a maximum range of 11.5 km. The maximum rate of fire is 10 rounds which can be reduced to 3 during sustained fire.

Today, many armies in the world make the choice to use wheeled self-propelled howitzer to replace towed and tracked artillery weapon systems.

The greatest tactical advantage in the case of wheeled self-propelled artillery guns is clearly the greater degree of mobility they have compared to towed artillery. Not only is it important in offering military forces greater flexibility, but it is critical in avoiding attack from the enemy (counter-battery fire) by allowing the guns to change position immediately after firing one or more salvos and before their position can be located.

The new Vietnamese self-propelled howitzer uses old type of towed howitzer and truck to reduce costs and produce locally a weapon which response to the request of Vietnamese armed forces.

The system was displayed and tested for the first time at the Military training center of the Vietnamese Army January 15, 2014.

1-07012015dungmaymoi-38084830289-1423288107089-31-0-261-450-crop-1423288137294.jpg
105mm self-propelled artillery unit .jpg
105 mm Self-propelled M-101 gun during test firing .jpg
105mm self-propelled artillery truck-3.jpg

If it's available, I suggest Vietnam should buy 3 nuclear submarines from USA.
Virginia-class Block V for example.
no, virgina-class is nuclear powered attack submarine. what we need is nuclear powered submarine with ICMB: ohio-class. we need nuclear deterrence, the capability to turn our enemies to nuclear ashes if necessary.

no, virgina-class is nuclear powered attack submarine. what we need is nuclear powered submarine with ICMB: ohio-class. we need nuclear deterrence, the capability to turn our enemies to nuclear ashes if necessary.

Lol and I used to think that your dreams about AEGIS destroyers were unrealistic............. troi oi :what::cheesy:

Actually, India is working on that type of subs and going well, that's the way to go for nuclear deterrence. Once you have those babies, nobody will touch you.

Lol and I used to think that your dreams about AEGIS destroyers were unrealistic............. troi oi :what::cheesy:

Actually, India is working on that type of subs and going well, that's the way to go for nuclear deterrence. Once you have those babies, nobody will touch you.
if history is a guide, it is extremely unlikely that chinese will ever ease aggression against vietnam. we should aim for nuclear weapons. we can never win a arms race against china. a conventional deterrence is never going to work.

if history is a guide, it is extremely unlikely that chinese will ever ease aggression against vietnam. we should aim for nuclear weapons. we can never win a arms race against china. a conventional deterrence is never going to work.

I agree, at best Vietnam can fend off Chinese aggression if it is limited, assuming that they don't come will full strength and assuming that Vietnam had enough time to rearm (still need a number of years for that). In the best of circumstances VN can make them pay a heavy price and maybe trigger outside intervention, but if it is VN all alone against a china determined to win, the result will not be good for Vietnam. Yes, nuclear weapons are the big equalizer.

I agree, at best Vietnam can fend off Chinese aggression if it is limited, assuming that they don't come will full strength and assuming that Vietnam had enough time to rearm (still need a number of years for that). In the best of circumstances VN can make them pay a heavy price and maybe trigger outside intervention, but if it is VN all alone against a china determined to win, the result will not be good for Vietnam. Yes, nuclear weapons are the big equalizer.

Keep status quo for at least 1 decade and boost the cooperation, push the economic development paces.
A full lift of arm ban from USA would be the most wanted signal I expect early this year 2015.

That also the signal help Vietnam get more cooperation ( incl. investment and trade ) from US allies and US themselves.
2 years afterward would be more valuable than over 20 year of normalization relation with China.

@Viet : nuclear powered subs are the max I could dream of,
the purpose: 1 nuclear powered sub gives practical unlimited time of operation underwater.
an easier option: AIP sub is acceptable too.
a Virginia-class sub ( 7,900 long tons ) even provide much more than some Kilo class subs provide.

Of course, getting Virginia class, getting the proper weapons

SHIP_SSN_Virginia_Class_Cutaway_lg.jpg

tomahawk.graph.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom