What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

there is speculation 2 out of 6 the Kilo will be specialized on anti-sub warfare. Each Kilo can carry 24 guided torpedos. And that is not a secret if I say: the main operating terrain will be the waters around of Spratlys, tactic: hit and run (ambush).

vu-khi-1.jpg

vu-khi-3.jpg

Last edited:
My Viet brother, I support our your workers and shipyards 100%. But we you must let the Indian shipyard get some orders too, it will be a mutual support thing. Perhaps a 50% split between foreign order and domestic built.
he he he...don´t worry. If we build Indian designed warships then that will create jobs and revenues for Indian companies as well. Vietnam can´t produce everything alone. we import a lot of things, from radar to missile to computer.

IAI of Israel can deliver up to 50 Kfirs. with each improved Kfir costing $20m, including weapons. I think the price is ok. some analysts even claim the Kfir jet outperforms S Korean F/A-50 trainer, which costs $38 million per unit (the Philippines buy it). I think the best way forward is convincing Israel to provide us with technology how to build the plane. It is really a shame that we don´t have much of aerospace industry.

Don´t get any info if the airforce is interested in upgraded Mirage-2000. the plane is not cheap. India orders the upgraded version, and they get headache about the cost. what about the performance of chinese J-10? allegedly comparable to SU-27. I think the improved Kfir is good enough to meet the J-10 eye by eye.

IAI Looks East To Sell Updated Kfirs | AWIN content from Aviation Week

Where did you get the info that they can supply 50 Kfirs? The quantity was one of my main issues.

The Kfir is actually way superior to the FA-50, I don't know why they are ordering that plane, they could it have ordered F-16's. The FA-50 is a poor man's fighter jet, its just a small trainer on steroids. It has zero chance against chinese planes. Indonesia got the upgraded F-16's at 31 million each.

J-10 and SU-27 are planes of different generations. The J-10B is actually quite good, has AESA radar, etc. The SU-27 is quite old if not upgraded. The J-10 A is actually the Israeli Lavi plane; after USA pushed Israel to not produce the plane, the Israelis sold the design to China, that's the plane that Israel was going to use to replace the Kfir's and now the J-10B version is further upgraded.

The Israelis provide the Kfir with the Maverick missile as the main ground attack weapon and besides the fact that VN needs to get USA permission to get that missile, the Maverick is not the right type of missile for the anti ship role and the range is very low; that's why I was saying that the plane would need to be integrated with the antiship missiles that VN has.

I also don't like much that the Kfir only has 2 pylons in each wing, total capacity to carry missiles and fuel tanks is a bit low (total umber of pylons in the plane is 6).

The Kfir for the maritime strike role with the right missiles and in a decent quantity would be ok. In the air defense role (which is the role of the Mig-21 after all) I think is not good enough.

The devil is in the details here, have to see first if VN is really interested and then Israel would it have to fine tune the plane further in order to meet the particular needs of VN.

Last edited:
Lieutenant General Do Ba Ty, Chief of the Vietnam People's Army in an official visit to India. Photo: Talk Vietnam
the airforce may be interested to the new long range cruise missile from India: Nirbhay. range: 1,500km. the SU-30 can carry and fire it from a safe distance :)

quan-su.jpg

vu-khi-1.jpg

Where did you get the info that they can supply 50 Kfirs? The quantity was one of my main issues.

The Kfir is actually way superior to the FA-50, I don't know why they are ordering that plane, they could it have ordered F-16's. The FA-50 is a poor man's fighter jet, its just a small trainer on steroids. It has zero chance against chinese planes. Indonesia got the upgraded F-16's at 31 million each.

J-10 and SU-27 are completely different planes and for different roles. The J-10B is actually quite good, has AESA radar, etc. The SU-27 is quite old and is just a ground attack plane. The J-10 A is actually the Israeli Lavi plane; after USA pushed Israel to not produce the plane, the Israelis sold the design to China, that's the plane that Israel was going to use to replace the Kfir's and now the J-10B version is further upgraded.

The Israelis provide the Kfir with the Maverick missile as the main ground attack weapon and besides the fact that VN needs to get USA permission to get that missile, the Maverick is not the right type of missile for the anti ship role and the range is very low; that's why I was saying that the plane would need to be integrated with the antiship missiles that VN has.

I also don't like much that the Kfir only has 2 pylons in each wing, total capacity to carry missiles and fuel tanks is a bit low (total umber of pylons in the plane is 6).

The Kfir for the maritime strike role with the right missiles and in a decent quantity would be ok. In the air defense role (which is the role of the Mig-21 after all) I think is not good enough.

The devil is in the details here, have to see first if VN is really interested and then Israel would it have to fine tune the plane further in order to meet the particular needs of VN.
the number (50) is taken from the article I posted IAI Looks East To Sell Updated Kfirs | AWIN content from Aviation Week good to fill 3 squadrons.
well, unlike chinese J-10, the Kfir has historic records of combats: air strikes as well as bombing missions. surely, the Kfir is not as modern as F-35 :D. even if Uncle Sam sells it, we can´t afford it :cry:

I would say, Kfir is good enough to replace the aging MIG-21.

the number (50) is taken from the article I posted IAI Looks East To Sell Updated Kfirs | AWIN content from Aviation Week good to fill 3 squadrons.
well, unlike chinese J-10, the Kfir has historic records of combats: air strikes as well as bombing missions. surely, the Kfir is not as modern as F-35 :D. even if Uncle Sam sells it, we can´t afford it :cry:

I would say, Kfir is good enough to replace the aging MIG-21.

Kfir is good enough to replace the obsolete MIG-21 since it is much better, but have to keep in mind what the threat is and that can make the whole difference, but if VN wants quantity and cheap, then why not?

If you give me the choice between the Kfir and the F-35, I'll go for the Kfir hands down. I totally dislike the F-35, just a super expensive white elephant that can't even perform its basic mission requirements.

Last edited:
Kfir is good enough to replace the obsolete MIG-21 since it is much better, but have to keep in mind what the threat is and that can make the whole difference, but if VN wants quantity and cheap, then why not?

If you give me the choice between the Kfir and the F-35, I'll go for the Kfir hands down. I totally dislike the F-35, just a super expensive white elephant that can't even perform its basic mission requirements.
LOL as I said once you are a very critical customer. not easy to sell toys to you :D from Korea to Japan to Israel, all like F-35, but not you.
yes, unbelieveable that our MIG-21 still continue to fly despite their age. but soon the MIG-21 will find their final place as museum pieces.

mig21gianua_kto-3.jpg

LOL as I said once you are a very critical customer. not easy to sell toys to you :D from Korea to Japan to Israel, all like F-35, but not you.
yes, unbelieveable that our MIG-21 still continue to fly despite their age. but soon the MIG-21 will find their final place as museum pieces.

mig21gianua_kto-3.jpg

Absolutely, I'm a very picky customer, I will only take good stuff.

Actually, USA western allies are tied up to what US has in terms of stealth aircraft, they don't have other choices so they buy the F-35 and hope for the best. USA does not export the F-22, so no other choices. As the creator of the F-16 said the other day: "the F-35 can't climb, can't turn, can't run, the engine runs too hot and the stealth is very poor. In simulations, the SU-30 beats the hell out of the F-35, so............. why to bother to spend big money on the F-35?

Last edited:
China's top diplomat to visit Vietnam again amid sea dispute
BEIJING Thu Oct 23, 2014

(Reuters) - China's top diplomat will visit Vietnam next week, China said on Friday, five months after he last visited during a period of tension over a Chinese oil drilling rig working in part of the South China Sea both countries claim.

State Councilor Yang Jiechi, who outranks the foreign minister, will arrive in Vietnam on Monday for meetings with Vietnam Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh, China's foreign ministry said in a statement.

The two would discuss "Sino-Vietnam bilateral cooperation", the ministry said. It did not elaborate.

Yang last went to Vietnam in June when he accused it of "hyping up" the row over the Chinese drilling rig in waters close to Vietnam but claimed by China.

The dispute lead to confrontation at sea between Chinese and Vietnamese government vessels and violent anti-Chinese protests in Vietnam, in one of the worst breakdowns in their relations since they fought a brief war in 1979.

Last week, Chinese and Vietnamese leaders met on the sidelines of an Asia-Europe summit in Italy and agreed to "address and control" maritime disputes.

Communist parties rule both countries and their trade has swelled to $50 billion annually, but Vietnam has long been suspicious of its giant neighbor, especially over China's claims to almost the entire South China Sea.

Yang Jiechi is said as a hardcore chinese nationalist. after his last visit to Vietnam, he bragged at home how he taught his small brother in the south :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

sideline meetings of the Prime Minister (he is a man of the pro-West faction) to 10th Asian-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit in Milan, October 16. his next visit will be India. I believe since the oil rig crisis he hates the chinese. Interesting he paid a visit to the Pope at Vatican as well. it appears his government is williing to give more freedoms to the churches at home.

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang
2.jpg

Japanese PM Shinzo Abe
3.JPG

France President Francois Hollande
thu_tuong_1_MLZM.jpg

Italian PM Matteo Renzi
Ita.jpg

Finish officials
phan.jpg

EU commission President Manuel Barroso
VN-EU.jpg.ashx

Pope Francis at Vatican
Dung.jpg

Eminence Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State of the Holy See
toa.jpg

Yang Jiechi is said as a hardcore chinese nationalist. after his last visit to Vietnam, he bragged at home how he taught his small brother in the south :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

I guess his lesson didn't workout as expected so he has to come back again.

sideline meetings of the Prime Minister (he is a man of the pro-West faction) to 10th Asian-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit in Milan, October 16. his next visit will be India. I believe since the oil rig crisis he hates the chinese. Interesting he paid a visit to the Pope at Vatican as well. it appears his government is williing to give more freedoms to the churches at home.

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang
2.jpg

Japanese PM Shinzo Abe
3.JPG

France President Francois Hollande
thu_tuong_1_MLZM.jpg

Italian PM Matteo Renzi
Ita.jpg

Finish officials
phan.jpg

EU commission President Manuel Barroso
VN-EU.jpg.ashx

Pope Francis at Vatican
Dung.jpg

Eminence Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State of the Holy See
toa.jpg

He is doing good PR in Europe. Vietnam should have a free trade agreement with the EU in the next few months.

Ba Son shipyard: Missile boat HQ-381(BPS-500 class) is undergoing a complete overhaul with the support of the Russian company Rosoboronexport. the vessel will integrate new weapons and other modern equipments similar to Molniya class.

hq-381-t-222311896-1414068533624-35-0-280-479-crop-1414068552816.jpg

bao-nga-tau-ten-lua-bps500-viet-nam-trang-bi-vu-khi-moi.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom