What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

n09d.jpg

drcp.jpg

2 of these ships (will be designated as corvettes for Vietnam People's Navy) will be sold, with a cruise missile of
their choice, mostly likely to be the Kh-35 Switchblade ASCM.

I just checked the Indian forums and this thread and realised that I've reposted an article. Then I realised that you guys haven't realised that some Indian members are discussing about a potential sale of their new 1.4ton missile corvettes to the Viet navy.

n09d.jpg

drcp.jpg

GSL-Designed%2B75-metre%2BNOPV-2.jpg

I just checked the Indian forums and this thread and realised that I've reposted an article. Then I realised that you guys haven't realised that some Indian members are discussing about a potential sale of their new 1.4ton missile corvettes to the Viet navy.

n09d.jpg

drcp.jpg

it is better if India sells us the license/technololgy and we build the vessels by ourselves.

Another very good article to read:

India and Vietnam to sign a defence pact amid China’s growing aggression in region - The Economic Times

While everybody has been talking about the implications of USA lifting the arms embargo to Vietnam, it now seems that India is the real deal, not just for military purposes but also economically to help Vietnam end its dependence in China.

NEW DELHI: With a little over a month after President Pranab Mukherjee's Vietnam visit when a defence MoU was signed the two countries are expected to conclude another defence pact when Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung is in India on October 27-28 amid China's growing aggression in the region. .............................
the chinese oil rig has changed everything. even the pro-china faction realises how the chinese pissed them off.

some news

Hanoi, Oktober 21: US-Vietnam defence dialogue with Amy Searight, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia. the relationship to the superpower becomes more and more promising.
ttxvn_21102014Quoc_phong_MDQX.jpg.jpg

Beijing, Oct. 18: Defense Minister Phung Quang Thanh meets Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan, and Fan Changlong, Vice Chairman of China's Central Military Commission. It would be interesting if we know what they talked behind the closed doors. one thing is made public: both armies agree to avoid the use or threat of force. I don´t think that will work out as China increasingly becomes aggressive in the south china sea.

we must face the possibility of an armed confrontation.
133725129_14135500589971n.jpg

133726371_14136294620381n.jpg

133726371_14136294619911n.jpg

Will Vietnam buy Kfir Mach 2+ block 60? Interesting: here is a report saying that the airforce intends to replace MIG-21 with the low-cost Israeli fighter jet. It is said a modernized Kfir costs $20m a piece. the price includes avionics and weaponry. operating cost is just about 25% of an equivalent fighter jet.

the jet equipped with electronically scanned array (AESA) radar can strike maritime targets. a perfect platform for the south china sea.

@Carlosa and friends, what do you think of the jet?

Cận cảnh "sư tử con" Kfir của Israel Việt Nam đang định mua

vu-khi-9.jpg

vu-khi-12.jpg

vu-khi-8.jpg

vu-khi-11.jpg

Last edited:
Missile vessel Osa II class, equipped with antiship P-15 missile Termit (range 80km) and heavy guns

vu-khi-1_1413792542_1.jpg

vu-khi-3_1413792543_1.jpg

vu-khi-13_1413792548_1.jpg

vu-khi-7_1413792545_1.jpg

vu-khi-17_1413792550_1.jpg

vu-khi-5_1413792544_1.jpg

From 12 to 14 October, the delegation Institute of Science and Technology of Vietnam visited Russia. The two sides resume discussions on the project "sky launch". Russian aircraft An-124-100VS will be used to carry a 100 tons put-and-drop rocket with up to 4 tons of payload into orbit. A ground infrastructure for maintenance and refuelling will be built at Cam Ranh airport.

Dự án "Khởi động trên không" có khả năng trở lại Việt Nam
vu-khi.jpg

historic photo: German famous anti-aircraft gun Flak 88 in the WW II. the Soviet Union delivered the captured weapons to the North Vietnamese Army in the 1960s.

phao-phong-khong-flak-88-duc-quan-doi-viet-nam-datviet.vn-09_171519785.jpg

phao-phong-khong-flak-88-duc-quan-doi-viet-nam-datviet.vn-06_171520473.jpg

phao-phong-khong-flak-88-duc-quan-doi-viet-nam-datviet.vn-02_171520242.jpg

phao-phong-khong-flak-88-duc-quan-doi-viet-nam-datviet.vn-01_171521559.jpg

Will Vietnam buy Kfir Mach 2+ block 60? Interesting: here is a report saying that the airforce intends to replace MIG-21 with the low-cost Israeli fighter jet. It is said a modernized Kfir costs $20m a piece. the price includes avionics and weaponry. operating cost is just about 25% of an equivalent fighter jet.

the jet equipped with electronically scanned array (AESA) radar can strike maritime targets. a perfect platform for the south china sea.

@Carlosa and friends, what do you think of the jet?

Cận cảnh "sư tử con" Kfir của Israel Việt Nam đang định mua

vu-khi-9.jpg

vu-khi-12.jpg

vu-khi-8.jpg

vu-khi-11.jpg

I was thinking about this same thing last year and I did a bit of research on that. The number of airframes available is quite limited (I think just 24 planes), I don't think its worth all the logistical hassle and the planes are not going to be able to match the chinese J-10 A / B anyway. Colombia has been buying quite a few of those and that makes sense, they are not facing a high tech enemy.

After checking on that, I fantasized about getting upgraded mirage 2000's and I do feel good about that, much more capable plane. The Kfir is a copy and upgrade of the Mirage 5, quite outdated at this point, but still, if the quantity were to be good, and with a good AESA radar, etc and assuming the plane would be mostly for ground / naval attack and is fitted with good anti ship missiles, well, it could be ok, but in the air defense role I think not.

One other issue could also be that the Israelis have not interfaced the Kfir avionics with the type of anti ship missiles that Vietnam has, so that would need to be implemented, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I think the Tejas MK2 would be a better deal and is also very cheap (whenever it becomes available).

Last edited:
ithe chinese oil rig has changed everything. even the pro-china faction realises how the chinese pissed them off.

I hope you are right, but I'm not so sure, it seems like many in the pro china faction still give priority to be cozy cozy with their chinese comrades.

n09d.jpg

drcp.jpg

Interesting info, thanks. What's the name of the thread where you've found this info?

Don't be too greedy. Let the Indian shipyard get some orders. You are already given a $100 million credit line.

To make Viet happy, you need to give him an Aegis destroyer, anything less than that is just peanuts for him.:cheesy:

Last edited:
I hope you are right, but I'm not so sure, it seems like many in the pro china faction still give priority to be cozy cozy with their chinese comrades.

Interesting info, thanks. What's the name of the thread where you've found this info?

To make Viet happy, you need to give him an Aegis destroyer, anything less than that is just peanuts for him.:cheesy:

It's in the Indian defence section, in the thread about the VN-Indian defence pact. This corvette was discussed on the first few pages. Oh yeah, Viet has already demanded the Indian to give better toys in that thread.

during the oil rig crisis, some senior VCP members called their chinese "comrades" in Beijijng, but their commie brothers refused to talk, nor negotiate. this was a wakening moment, resulting to the public outcry of half of senior VCP members, calling for end of the relationship to China.
exactly, bro, our navy needs 6 Aegis destroyers as early warning system, air defence in the south china sea :partay:

Don't be too greedy. Let the Indian shipyard get some orders. You are already given a $100 million credit line.
the $100 million credit is for buying 4-5 India made patrol vessels. as I said it is better if we build the India designed warships as we need orders and jobs for our 120 domestic shipyards.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this same thing last year and I did a bit of research on that. The number of airframes available is quite limited (I think just 24 planes), I don't think its worth all the logistical hassle and the planes are not going to be able to match the chinese J-10 A / B anyway. Colombia has been buying quite a few of those and that makes sense, they are not facing a high tech enemy.

After checking on that, I fantasized about getting upgraded mirage 2000's and I do feel good about that, much more capable plane. The Kfir is a copy and upgrade of the Mirage 5, quite outdated at this point, but still, if the quantity were to be good, and with a good AESA radar, etc and assuming the plane would be mostly for ground / naval attack and is fitted with good anti ship missiles, well, it could be ok, but in the air defense role I think not.

One other issue could also be that the Israelis have not interfaced the Kfir avionics with the type of anti ship missiles that Vietnam has, so that would need to be implemented, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I think the Tejas MK2 would be a better deal and is also very cheap (whenever it becomes available).
IAI of Israel can deliver up to 50 Kfirs. with each improved Kfir costing $20m, including weapons. I think the price is ok. some analysts even claim the Kfir jet outperforms S Korean F/A-50 trainer, which costs $38 million per unit (the Philippines buy it). I think the best way forward is convincing Israel to provide us with technology how to build the plane. It is really a shame that we don´t have much of aerospace industry.

Don´t get any info if the airforce is interested in upgraded Mirage-2000. the plane is not cheap. India orders the upgraded version, and they get headache about the cost. what about the performance of chinese J-10? allegedly comparable to SU-27. I think the improved Kfir is good enough to meet the J-10 eye by eye.

IAI Looks East To Sell Updated Kfirs | AWIN content from Aviation Week

Last edited:
the $100 million credit is for buying 4-5 India made patrol vessels. as I said it is better if we build the India designed warships as we need orders and jobs for our 120 domestic shipyards.

My Viet brother, I support our your workers and shipyards 100%. But we you must let the Indian shipyard get some orders too, it will be a mutual support thing. Perhaps a 50% split between foreign order and domestic built.

Back
Top Bottom