What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Nokia ... was ever a great cellphone company, now the little brother of Microsoft.
What about Win8 OS on Nokia Lumia phone, Can i running PC Apps on a Win8 phone?

I just check Nokia Win8 Lumia price 600~1000RMB cheaper than Samsung Android phone.
It used to be a great phone before the Smartphone revolution. They fail to catch up, adopting the wrong OS. While Window 7 phone at the time is solid, it can't compete with IOS and Android feature. Window 8 Phone improved but its lack of application means nobody wants to waste $700 for a chunk when they can get rival OS phone for cheaper with far superior spec. Nokia is in trouble, that's why it is sold to Microsoft. Microsoft Window Lumia 1020, flagship, is about to become chunk now as rumors said it will end its life this year.

Not a good choice to buy a Nokia now. I used to have a Nokia as my first phone. Lack of fashion, style, feature pretty much mean I say "goodbye" to this brand. I'm using Lenovo atm.

---

Nokia Lumia 1020 will end life on September 14?
Francis D'Sa | July 19, 2014, 19.07 pm IST
Nokia-Lumia-1020_0_0.jpg

The Nokia Lumia
If the rumour mill is to be believed, the Nokia Lumia 1020, one of the well-known flagships of Nokia, will be seeing the end-of-life cycle by mid September.

@evleaks reported that Nokia Lumia 1020 will see an end-of-life by September 14. Microsoft is said to stop manufacturing the handset. However, retailers and distributors will continue selling them till their inventory is exhausted.

Nokia Lumia 1020 is said to be one of the best handsets sporting a near-DSLR camera. The handset has received the Windows Phone 8 firmware recently, but there is no confirmed information whether it will receive the Windows Phone 8.1 update.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is presently available in India for Around Rs 48,000. The handset sports a 41MP PureView camera with HD recording, Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, Xenon flash, OIS, and backside-illuminated sensor. The display is a 4.5-inch ClearBlack AMOLED HD screen protected by a Corning Gorilla Glass 3. The processor is a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 with an Adreno 225 graphics processor, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal memory.

Good to see that Microsoft and the subsidiary Nokia is diversifying their portfolios by investing also in Viet Nam. This makes sense at operational costs will be affordable. The underlying significance is this: "Are US-based firms beginning their migration of offshore sites from China to more favorable nations in South East / South Asia?" I think this is a significant pilot programme. If it succeeds, then there is no reason why other firms that are already based in China -- would not consider migrating their production sites in said market(s).

Nokia ... was ever a great cellphone company, now the little brother of Microsoft.
What about Win8 OS on Nokia Lumia phone, Can i running PC Apps on a Win8 phone?

I just check Nokia Win8 Lumia price 600~1000RMB cheaper than Samsung Android phone.

No you can't. Windows mobile OS is different to desktop version, which is also different to RT tablet version lol.

I don't know why MS can't just make them all the same so PC apps can be installed on mobile. I am still waiting for that day. Many people will want to buy it for sure.

Intel already makes Atom based processor for mobile phones. All Microsoft needs to do is ask them to make one based on x86 architecture. But that won't happen because MS is a dumb@ss.

诺基亚(NOKIA) Lumia1320 3G手机 (白色)WCDMA/GSM only sell 1,200RMB

rBEhVFKYe4YIAAAAAACbt9bb18kAAGJTwL2ZY8AAJvP990.jpg

No you can't. Windows mobile OS is different to desktop version, which is also different to RT tablet version lol.

I don't know why MS can't just make them all the same so PC apps can be installed on mobile. I am still waiting for that day. Many people will want to buy it for sure.

Intel already makes Atom based processor for mobile phones. All Microsoft needs to do is ask them to make one based on x86 architecture. But that won't happen because MS is a dumb@ss.
If Nokia Lumia phone's CPU not x86, of course can't running PC Apps.

Nobody wanna buy a smartphone lacking apps like Nokia Lumia, IOS & Android has many interesting apps and more funny.

It used to be a great phone before the Smartphone revolution. They fail to catch up, adopting the wrong OS. While Window 7 phone at the time is solid, it can't compete with IOS and Android feature. Window 8 Phone improved but its lack of application means nobody wants to waste $700 for a chunk when they can get rival OS phone for cheaper with far superior spec. Nokia is in trouble, that's why it is sold to Microsoft. Microsoft Window Lumia 1020, flagship, is about to become chunk now as rumors said it will end its life this year.

Not a good choice to buy a Nokia now. I used to have a Nokia as my first phone. Lack of fashion, style, feature pretty much mean I say "goodbye" to this brand. I'm using Lenovo atm.

---

Nokia Lumia 1020 will end life on September 14?
Francis D'Sa | July 19, 2014, 19.07 pm IST
Nokia-Lumia-1020_0_0.jpg

The Nokia Lumia
If the rumour mill is to be believed, the Nokia Lumia 1020, one of the well-known flagships of Nokia, will be seeing the end-of-life cycle by mid September.

@evleaks reported that Nokia Lumia 1020 will see an end-of-life by September 14. Microsoft is said to stop manufacturing the handset. However, retailers and distributors will continue selling them till their inventory is exhausted.

Nokia Lumia 1020 is said to be one of the best handsets sporting a near-DSLR camera. The handset has received the Windows Phone 8 firmware recently, but there is no confirmed information whether it will receive the Windows Phone 8.1 update.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is presently available in India for Around Rs 48,000. The handset sports a 41MP PureView camera with HD recording, Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, Xenon flash, OIS, and backside-illuminated sensor. The display is a 4.5-inch ClearBlack AMOLED HD screen protected by a Corning Gorilla Glass 3. The processor is a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 with an Adreno 225 graphics processor, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal memory.

If Microsoft ask Intel to make a x86 based mobile CPU and modify their mobile OS to be able run desktop software on their phones, it will be a BIG game changer. But they are dumb@ss.

Just like their 1020, it has the best phone camera in the industry. but they abandoned that camera and used inferior ones for their new flagship Lumia Icon.

Get your facts straight. Samsung is expanding in China because we have a huge market and educated workforce. Microsoft Nokia is out because they can't compete with our firm and Samsung. So they try to go to your market. Nobody buys a Nokia anymore. It's chunk.
you mean "junk", not chunk. it means totally different.
Microsoft is closing down the factory in Beijing and moving to Hanoi end of this year, along with 3,000 jobs.

Nokia baut 3000 Stellen in China ab - Umzug nach Hanoi

the new smartphones will be Microsoft ones, Nokia is history.
Samsung is expanding operations in Vietnam, too.

诺基亚(NOKIA) Lumia1320 3G手机 (白色)WCDMA/GSM only sell 1,200RMB
rBEhVFKYe4YIAAAAAACbt9bb18kAAGJTwL2ZY8AAJvP990.jpg

If Nokia Lumia phone's CPU not x86, of course can't running PC Apps.

Nobody wanna buy a smartphone lacking apps like Nokia Lumia, IOS & Android has many interesting apps and more funny.

But MS can make it happen if they want to.

Intel can now make very efficient and powerful Atom CPU for Windows 8 tablet. They also have now made mobile CPU for Android phones. So everything is there. All MS needs to do is ask them to make x86 based mobile CPU for their phone and many people will buy Nokia phones again.

Even China HuaWei's 8-core Android phone can beat Nokia Lumia

华为 荣耀 畅玩版(白色)真8核 移动版 TD-SCDMA/GSM 双卡双待 豪华套装版
Also only 1,200RMB

MTK 8-core 1.4GHz CPU
2G RAM
8G ROM
5.5' IPS LCD
back 1300 and front 500 megapixel camera

rBEhWlNfjw8IAAAAAALIrnEXus4AAMp0gGhxlMAAsjG420.jpg

rBEhWFNfjxAIAAAAAAKKnLb8lsMAAMp0gG6vGoAAoq0447.jpg

rBEhWlNfjxAIAAAAAAMQBc-rHsQAAMp0gG_dyMAAxAd225.jpg

rBEhWlNfjxAIAAAAAANpHJyFtoUAAMp0gHWIboAA2k0471.jpg

But MS can make it happen if they want to.

Intel can now make very efficient and powerful Atom CPU for Windows 8 tablet. They also have now made mobile CPU for Android phones. So everything is there. All MS needs to do is ask them to make x86 based mobile CPU for their phone and many people will buy Nokia phones again.
I think Intel need to design new ultra-low power Atom CPU for smartphone's small Li-battery, not as big as laptop/ table PC's battery. It will be new x86 ultra-low power CPU.

Last edited:
Good to see that Microsoft and the subsidiary Nokia is diversifying their portfolios by investing also in Viet Nam. This makes sense at operational costs will be affordable. The underlying significance is this: "Are US-based firms beginning their migration of offshore sites from China to more favorable nations in South East / South Asia?" I think this is a significant pilot programme. If it succeeds, then there is no reason why other firms that are already based in China -- would not consider migrating their production sites in said market(s).
well said. that is it: Vietnam offers a lot of benefits for foreign companies to operate:
  • low production costs
  • low taxes
  • increasingly improved infrastructures
  • stable political environment, rare labor strike, no terrorism, no ethnic violence
  • strategic location in SEA
  • many FTAs: ASEAN, China, soon Korea, Japan (if not already), America (along with other members of TPP), Russia and EU

you mean "junk", not chunk. it means totally different.
Microsoft is closing down the factory in Beijing and moving to Hanoi end of this year, along with 3,000 jobs.

Nokia baut 3000 Stellen in China ab - Umzug nach Hanoi

the new smartphones will be Microsoft ones, Nokia is history.
Samsung is expanding operations in Vietnam, too.
Thank you, my friend. Nokia has no future in China, so it is a smart move for them to move to Vietnam where your people still enjoy Nokia. For us, it's about Android and IOS right now. Most of our developers-base China are Android pro. I am one, too. LOL

If Microsoft ask Intel to make a x86 based mobile CPU and modify their mobile OS to be able run desktop software on their phones, it will be a BIG game changer. But they are dumb@ss.

Just like their 1020, it has the best phone camera in the industry. but they abandoned that camera and used inferior ones for their new flagship Lumia Icon.
When first start, x86 consumes too much power for mobile. It is not a choice at that moment because battery is still very limited in technology. Mobile-chipset is arm for power efficiency. Until Intel can makes mobile-x86 base chipset with same power consumption efficiency, it would not work. However, good news. Intel just finished work on '64bit for x86 smartphones. The key now is to lure developers make apps for Intel x86. Without mass adoption, impossible to make developers changing their profitable business on current ARM-base. I am one that hope Intel success because Intel chip is much more powerful than ARM-base.

China phone always have spyware inside. One day, ur sexy pics with some hot chicks suddenly upload on internet ,then ur wife will kill u :laugh:

well said. that is it: Vietnam offers a lot of benefits for foreign companies to operate:
  • low production costs
  • low taxes
  • increasingly improved infrastructures
  • stable political environment, rare labor strike, no terrorism, no ethnic violence
  • strategic location in SEA
  • many FTAs: ASEAN, China, soon Korea, Japan (if not already), America (along with other members of TPP), Russia and EU

Yes. Japan, for example, has over 4,000 businesses in China. We have over 1,300 in the Philippines, over 1,100 in India, over 100 in Pakistan, hundreds in Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand.

I the field of economics, businesses analyze the parameters of securities and risk. Is the current market at risk, what are the factors that can contribute to risk, is it statistically pliable to remain in a risky market? These are all issues that financial consultant(s) make in feasibility studies.

Given the realities on the ground and the current dynamic with China and several of its investors, security concerns are factors that affect decision to relocate. As it stands, Japan has conducted dozens of feasibility studies on whether or not it is possible to relocate in proximate markets , what the costs are in relocation, the risks in new sites etc.

And it is. Our success in Viet Nam and the Philippines alludes to the possibilities of re-orienting our production platforms from China to South East Asia were it would make financial / strategic sense.

Either case, South East Asia would benefit from Japan's patronage. A mutual benefit, i would say.

:-)

华为 荣耀 畅玩版(白色)真8核 移动版 TD-SCDMA/GSM 双卡双待 豪华套装版
Also only 1,200RMB

MTK 8-core 1.4GHz CPU
2G RAM
8G ROM
5.5' IPS LCD
back 1300 and front 500 megapixel camera

rBEhWlNfjw8IAAAAAALIrnEXus4AAMp0gGhxlMAAsjG420.jpg

rBEhWFNfjxAIAAAAAAKKnLb8lsMAAMp0gG6vGoAAoq0447.jpg

rBEhWlNfjxAIAAAAAAMQBc-rHsQAAMp0gG_dyMAAxAd225.jpg

rBEhWlNfjxAIAAAAAANpHJyFtoUAAMp0gHWIboAA2k0471.jpg

I think Intel need to design new ultra-low power Atom CPU for smartphone's small Li-battery, not as big as laptop/ table PC's battery. It will be new x86 ultra-low power CPU.

Intel's newer x86 Atom CPU is as powerful and efficient as those ARM-base CPU used in Android phones and tablets. I think Intel now has the knowledge to make good x86 CPU for phones. But I think MS is too scare that these will be expensive because only a few manufacturer makes windows phone so small order for these cpu. They need to take the risk and see if x86 phone will be popular.

@Viet ,

You will see that South Korea will follow suit. They too will begin relocating their production sites in South East Asia.

I know for a fact that South Koreans have been conducting feasibility studies in South East Asia, following us in this.

:-)

Back
Top Bottom