What's new

Verizon brings super-fast 5G service to 11 new cities

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.komando.com/happening-now/391544/verizon-brings-super-fast-5g-service-to-11-new-cities

Have you been following the unlimited data war that's going on between the top four U.S. mobile providers? The battle kicked off when Verizon fired the first shot by bringing back unlimited data plans. After that, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint all responded with unlimited data plans of their own. Click here to read our breakdown of what each company is offering.

Now, Verizon is taking aim at the wireless broadband market, challenging cable companies in their efforts to bring lightning-fast internet to cities across the nation. We've been reporting on this for years, as companies like Comcast, Cox and even Google have been laying fiber cable in select cities, each hoping to be the first to make the internet faster and better for everyone.

On Wednesday, February 22, Verizon made an announcement no one was expecting. It's doing something different, and may be able to achieve gigabit speeds without needing fiber cable. To test this strategy, the company will be running trials in 11 U.S. cities of what it's calling "5G Technology."

WHAT IS VERIZON'S 5G TECHNOLOGY?
Verizon's goal is to enable customers to experience competitive pricing, along with gigabit speeds that in the past were only possible by using fiber cables. AT&T is also working on a similar technology called AirGig 5G. These will be in direct competition with other high-speed internet services that are on the way, like Google Fiber.

Verizon is not focusing its 5G technology on speeding up mobile communications, as of yet. It will initially focus on bringing super fast internet to customers' homes. Watch this video to see how this 5G tech is being implemented.

Verizon has teamed with other companies such as Intel, Qualcomm and Samsung to become 5GTF ecosystem partners. It's on its way to commercializing chipsets, infrastructure products and consumer gadgets based on the 5GTF specification.

Adam Koeppe, VP of Network Planning at Verizon said, "5G technology innovation is rapidly evolving. Network density is increasing to meet the demands of customers, and following the FCC's aggressive action on 5G spectrum, the time is right to deliver the next generation of broadband services with 5G."

Select customers will receive Verizon's 5G pre-commercial services on its newly built network. It's the largest proving ground in the world, encompassing hundreds of cell sites covering thousands of customer locations.

Verizon will begin offering 5G to pilot customers over the next few months in these 11 metropolitan areas:

1. Ann Arbor, Michigan
  2. Atlanta, Georgia
  3. Bernardsville, New Jersey
  4. Brockton, Massachusetts
  5. Dallas, Texas
  6. Denver, Colorado
  7. Houston, Texas
  8. Miami, Florida
  9. Sacramento, California
  10. Seattle, Washington
  11. Washington, D.C.
The company hasn't released details on how to become a pilot customer yet. If you live in one of these markets and are interested, contact Verizon and ask how you can sign-up. Who knows, you could be in the fast-lane of the information super-highway by summer.

I'm keeping an eye on this. If the technology is solid, I will switch. I really want to get rid of Comcast and just have high-speed internet to my house. No need to spend money on channels I don't even watch.

I'm keeping an eye on this. If the technology is solid, I will switch. I really want to get rid of Comcast and just have high-speed internet to my house. No need to spend money on channels I don't even watch.

They certainly have the crown with their fiber optic cable speed (I have Verizon FIOS). Google fiber is faster but very very limited availability.

I have to agree on the channels. My channel selector goes up to like 1600 but I watch very few of them.

They certainly have the crown with their fiber optic cable speed (I have Verizon FIOS). Google fiber is faster but very very limited availability.

I have to agree on the channels. My channel selector goes up to like 1600 but I watch very few of them.

Fuxk man..........I miss telecommunication in the US, along with my firearm, that is the only thing I ever missed the US about it.

We have shit internet speed in Australia, shit cable TV channel, shit mobile phone service......The so called NBN here is a joke, we can't even offer more than 100M download even if you want to pay for it....

5G would have been the cutting edge of internet speed, do bear in mind, the faster mobile phone can get (4G gets up to 100Mbps) the less people will use fix line. ANd 5G can goes up to 2Gbps, basically would put even google fibre in shame....

Fuxk man..........I miss telecommunication in the US, along with my firearm, that is the only thing I ever missed the US about it.

We have shit internet speed in Australia, shit cable TV channel, shit mobile phone service......The so called NBN here is a joke, we can't even offer more than 100M download even if you want to pay for it....

5G would have been the cutting edge of internet speed, do bear in mind, the faster mobile phone can get (4G gets up to 100Mbps) the less people will use fix line. ANd 5G can goes up to 2Gbps, basically would put even google fibre in shame....

Well it's only experimental. I think we'd be lucky to get 1Gbps. But I won't argue with that. Maybe they will finally add some 4K channels in that 1600 list.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/391544/verizon-brings-super-fast-5g-service-to-11-new-cities

Have you been following the unlimited data war that's going on between the top four U.S. mobile providers? The battle kicked off when Verizon fired the first shot by bringing back unlimited data plans. After that, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint all responded with unlimited data plans of their own. Click here to read our breakdown of what each company is offering.

Now, Verizon is taking aim at the wireless broadband market, challenging cable companies in their efforts to bring lightning-fast internet to cities across the nation. We've been reporting on this for years, as companies like Comcast, Cox and even Google have been laying fiber cable in select cities, each hoping to be the first to make the internet faster and better for everyone.

On Wednesday, February 22, Verizon made an announcement no one was expecting. It's doing something different, and may be able to achieve gigabit speeds without needing fiber cable. To test this strategy, the company will be running trials in 11 U.S. cities of what it's calling "5G Technology."

WHAT IS VERIZON'S 5G TECHNOLOGY?
Verizon's goal is to enable customers to experience competitive pricing, along with gigabit speeds that in the past were only possible by using fiber cables. AT&T is also working on a similar technology called AirGig 5G. These will be in direct competition with other high-speed internet services that are on the way, like Google Fiber.

Verizon is not focusing its 5G technology on speeding up mobile communications, as of yet. It will initially focus on bringing super fast internet to customers' homes. Watch this video to see how this 5G tech is being implemented.

Verizon has teamed with other companies such as Intel, Qualcomm and Samsung to become 5GTF ecosystem partners. It's on its way to commercializing chipsets, infrastructure products and consumer gadgets based on the 5GTF specification.

Adam Koeppe, VP of Network Planning at Verizon said, "5G technology innovation is rapidly evolving. Network density is increasing to meet the demands of customers, and following the FCC's aggressive action on 5G spectrum, the time is right to deliver the next generation of broadband services with 5G."

Select customers will receive Verizon's 5G pre-commercial services on its newly built network. It's the largest proving ground in the world, encompassing hundreds of cell sites covering thousands of customer locations.

Verizon will begin offering 5G to pilot customers over the next few months in these 11 metropolitan areas:

1. Ann Arbor, Michigan
  2. Atlanta, Georgia
  3. Bernardsville, New Jersey
  4. Brockton, Massachusetts
  5. Dallas, Texas
  6. Denver, Colorado
  7. Houston, Texas
  8. Miami, Florida
  9. Sacramento, California
  10. Seattle, Washington
  11. Washington, D.C.
The company hasn't released details on how to become a pilot customer yet. If you live in one of these markets and are interested, contact Verizon and ask how you can sign-up. Who knows, you could be in the fast-lane of the information super-highway by summer.
Article is lacking wrt to technical details. Does it need new equipment ? Is it only for home or even for mobile?

Article is lacking wrt to technical details. Does it need new equipment ? Is it only for home or even for mobile?

I'm pretty sure it is only home. No speeds mentioned. You will need a special cablemodem box that won't have a coaxial cable connected to the street,

They certainly have the crown with their fiber optic cable speed (I have Verizon FIOS). Google fiber is faster but very very limited availability..

I can attest that Verizon FiOS is really good. Unfortunately, I moved to an area (ironically less than 10 miles away) that doesn't have FiOS availability.

And while Google Fiber is extremely limited, Verizon has in many cases stopped, or never even started they're planned rollout of Fios in many citiy neighborhoods/burbs.

And while Google Fiber is extremely limited, Verizon has in many cases stopped, or never even started they're planned rollout of Fios in many citiy neighborhoods/burbs.

Well they may see the 5G writing on the wall.

Well they may see the 5G writing on the wall.

True.. that in addition to possible fact that (and this is just based on the various Tech type articles that I've read over the last couple of years or so) that they really wanted to push their Wireless LTE service.

I really miss FiOS for a few reasons besides the speed. Surprisingly though, Comcast 200Mbps speed tier has been very reliable for me, so I can't really complain.

Do look forward to seeing what Verizon's 5G offerings look like in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited:
Well it's only experimental. I think we'd be lucky to get 1Gbps. But I won't argue with that. Maybe they will finally add some 4K channels in that 1600 list.

Well, I think I read somewhere the speed was 20G plus for 5G (or they try to push it to 20G, I don't remember) but technically, they can only uses taht with LiFi not the radio wave setting we are using now. Considering LiFi is not yet a thing, we can be sure 2Gbps would probably be reached but may need some new phone to get that, as today phone usually goes up to N600 standard. not in G-standard.

Back
Top Bottom