What's new

Vehicles Used By Indian Air Force

you have not seen our shaktiman truck yet... I have seen it used as troop carrier as well as school bus. :laughcry:

ontopic: I have been to a navy base where my friend was working.... zero security.. that was many years ago...
i went to school in shaktiman truck....:agree::agree:

i went to school in shaktiman truck....:agree::agree:

That is because the Shaktiman trucks were the ones most in the IA's inventory then.
Like today's kids seem to be going to school in Ashok Leyland Stallions. There is/was a reason for this arrangement. These vehicles come out of an operational Field Formations MT pool. They are very easy to modify with the addition of a rear-ramp and then again re-modify by removing the rear-ramp.

In contrast, a Bus is useless in the Field. While it can only be used in a Peace-time deployment.

That is because the Shaktiman trucks were the ones most in the IA's inventory then.
Like today's kids seem to be going to school in Ashok Leyland Stallions. There is/was a reason for this arrangement. These vehicles come out of an operational Field Formations MT pool. They are very easy to modify with the addition of a rear-ramp and then again re-modify by removing the rear-ramp.

In contrast, a Bus is useless in the Field. While it can only be used in a Peace-time deployment.
thy were uncomfortable....felt as if they had no suspensions....:agree::agree:
images

I think he was talking about the projects that the Army itself undertakes under welfare scheme? You would be better informed but don't the Army has its own Residential Projects like other Ministries of the Govt?

What i was reffering to was that in Pakistani Army senior Army officials above the rank of Colonel get plots for free or a discounted price.I dont think any of that sort happens in indian army.We do have housing societies but nothing is for free or a heavy discounted price.

images

My school bus..

obviously they do not give it for free......but they roll out schemes for officers under the respective development authority like jaipur development authority(JDA) in our case...(my father is a major in territorial army)...and these schemes make plots quite affordable for all those officers who wanna buy land...and its a first come first get type of scheme and the types of plots may vary with the designation of officers....and there are limited plots only

These plots are at places where the price of property is not that high..moreover there is no seniority basis here.Like you said its a first come first serve thing.

Last edited:
images

They probably had no suspensions! :-)
Well, in fact they had suspensions. Very robust and hard leaf-spring ones all around suitable for 4x4 vehs in off-road conditions. Not for on-road conditions.
Like the diff between the Gypsy and Scorpio suspensions for example.

They probably had no suspensions! :-)
Well, in fact they had suspensions. Very robust and hard leaf-spring ones all around suitable for 4x4 vehs in off-road conditions. Not for on-road conditions.
Like the diff between the Gypsy and Scorpio suspensions for example.
u somekind of motor vehicle engineer or somthng man??

u somekind of motor vehicle engineer or somthng man??

HeHeHe, No. I just do like vehicles; of all kinds.
When I got married, I owned an old Army-surplus 4x4 Willys CJ3 LHD with the Petrol "Hurricane" Engine and a new Gypsy. My wife bulldozed me into disposing off the Willys double-quick----because it did not even have a Soft-Top or any Top for that matter. The Gypsy lasted a little longer while I bought my first car.
Both the Willys and the Gypsy had similar rides on city roads.

I am familiar with some other engines too, among them Marine Engines.

HeHeHe, No. I just do like vehicles; of all kinds.
When I got married, I owned an old Army-surplus 4x4 Willys CJ3 LHD with the Petrol "Hurricane" Engine and a new Gypsy. My wife bulldozed me into disposing off the Willys double-quick----because it did not even have a Soft-Top or any Top for that matter. The Gypsy lasted a little longer while I bought my first car.
Both the Willys and the Gypsy had similar rides on city roads.

I am familiar with some other engines too, among them Marine Engines.

Captain, just curious whats your profession? Cann you reveal?:)

Captain, just curious whats your profession? Cann you reveal?:)

Mainly a Salt-Horse, in uniform and out. :-)
Did other things too (in the out phase) mainly driven by interests and some by circumstances.

Mainly a Salt-Horse, in uniform and out. :-)
Did other things too (in the out phase) mainly driven by interests and some by circumstances.

Truly admire you for your knowledge on history, must have taken a lot of time to gather all that though..:-)

Truly admire you for your knowledge on history, must have taken a lot of time to gather all that though..:-)

Lol; you give me more credit than I deserve!
Though; I'll share something that a crusty ol' teacher told us school-boys, who admired him.
He said: I know many things (more than us students) only because the Earth goes around the Sun!
In other words that he'd been around longer to learn! :-)

Now seriously speaking; inquisitiveness or curiosity is very important. In fact, Curiosity is the birth-spring of learning. And has always been so. Recently some people (including many non-Indians) have been working in India to enhance the quality of Primary Education (the most Critical part of education in India, IMO); this is one principle that I have repeated time and again in discussions with them. The idea is to ignite Curiosity and then to sustain it. The Learning part then comes pretty much naturally and effectively.

Search out the"Hole in the Wall Experiment" on the internet; its a revolutionary concept in Learning.

Lol; you give me more credit than I deserve!
Though; I'll share something that a crusty ol' teacher told us school-boys, who admired him.
He said: I know many things (more than us students) only because the Earth goes around the Sun!
In other words that he'd been around longer to learn! :-)

Now seriously speaking; inquisitiveness or curiosity is very important. In fact, Curiosity is the birth-spring of learning. And has always been so. Recently some people (including many non-Indians) have been working in India to enhance the quality of Primary Education (the most Critical part of education in India, IMO); this is one principle that I have repeated time and again in discussions with them. The idea is to ignite Curiosity and then to sustain it. The Learning part then comes pretty much naturally and effectively.

Search out the"Hole in the Wall Experiment" on the internet; its a revolutionary concept in Learning.

haha, at least than some old members like us here:)..but
True that bold part is..I completely agree with you as when I was a child myself, curiosity has only got me so far. Its a bigger thing than vision, because you dont have a plan, IMPO

Certainly I will go and read that peice you have asked me to. Thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom