What's new

USN's New Distributed Lethality Doctrine: Arm Everything!

Nice try... A cover ploy for your cover ploy, I'm not that stupid... usually:woot:. None of this reverse psychology, ninja biz is going to work on me!!! Never!!!! :ph34r:

I still don't trust @Armstrong :D

hahahaha! well then..if that won't work then...

You're quoting Greek Tragedies now ? @SvenSvensonov is a Norseman talk to him about Valhalla, Ragnarok and Odin ! :agree:

LOL. Never read much about Valhalla , Ragnarok ..:(

Last edited:
On the history bit,the spanish first armed their merchant/logistics ships after they were used to transport gold and silver from peru and mexico.This spanish treasure fleet was a prize catch for pirates and english/dutch sponsored privateers.
Then at the height of the colonial age all east india companies in asia built the class of ships called East indiamen,almost as powerful as a ship of the line and designed for defence as well as logistics.
With the coming of steam,things kind of died down amidst the ironclad and then battleship craze.Process was revived in the 2 world wars by the allied navies who armed their ships to defend against U-boats(still not much good at it though) with naval guns anti aircraft gun mounts.(but lacking specialized sonar/radar equipment that was key)
Germany itself armed its non-battle fleet and passenger liners and converted them into auxillary cruisers to act as commercial raiders.
During the cold war soviet logistics ships were suspected to have the capability to act as minelayers.Thats about all i know.

Overall i think its a great idea,USA have too many ships,but a few classes of ships are overburdened.Thsi will spread out the load.Also its opponent the PLAN is largely a surface navy,its underwater fleet being woefully outclassed by japan and usa.So packing large numbers of surface to surface missiles/anti ship really increases the saturation potential and threat to chines surface ships and coastal targets.
The marine idea seems great for low intensity ops,but won't this spread out the marine corps too thin?If a conventional amphibious conflict breaks out -say senkaku or taiwan.Marine corps brigades would be first to respond usually.If they are too spread out on ships worldwide,it might be a problem.

On the history bit,the spanish first armed their merchant/logistics ships after they were used to transport gold and silver from peru and mexico.This spanish treasure fleet was a prize catch for pirates and english/dutch sponsored privateers.
Then at the height of the colonial age all east india companies in asia built the class of ships called East indiamen,almost as powerful as a ship of the line and designed for defence as well as logistics.
With the coming of steam,things kind of died down amidst the ironclad and then battleship craze.Process was revived in the 2 world wars by the allied navies who armed their ships to defend against U-boats(still not much good at it though) with naval guns anti aircraft gun mounts.(but lacking specialized sonar/radar equipment that was key)
Germany itself armed its non-battle fleet and passenger liners and converted them into auxillary cruisers to act as commercial raiders.
During the cold war soviet logistics ships were suspected to have the capability to act as minelayers.Thats about all i know.

Overall i think its a great idea,USA have too many ships,but a few classes of ships are overburdened.Thsi will spread out the load.Also its opponent the PLAN is largely a surface navy,its underwater fleet being woefully outclassed by japan and usa.So packing large numbers of surface to surface missiles/anti ship really increases the saturation potential and threat to chines surface ships and coastal targets.

The marine idea seems great for low intensity ops,but won't this spread out the marine corps too thin?If a conventional amphibious conflict breaks out -say senkaku or taiwan.Marine corps brigades would be first to respond usually.If they are too spread out on ships worldwide,it might be a problem.

Well, in the historical sense, traditionally country would equip their own merchant ship with gun and
cannonade. Either to raid other shipping or to protect their own. Ships like privateer is actually an armed merchant vessel. And country, neutral country especially, make a lot of money running both armed merchant ship for both purpose, privateer is actual state sponsored privacy :(

Speaking of naval ingenuity, how do you make of the 1812 Battle of Lake Erie when the US won the Brits even tho the American Navy was heavily out gun??

Well, in the historical sense, traditionally country would equip their own merchant ship with gun and
cannonade. Either to raid other shipping or to protect their own. Ships like privateer is actually an armed merchant vessel. And country, neutral country especially, make a lot of money running both armed merchant ship for both purpose, privateer is actual state sponsored privacy :(

Speaking of naval ingenuity, how do you make of the 1812 Battle of Lake Erie when the US won the Brits even tho the American Navy was heavily out gun??

To tell you the truth i know very little about battle of lake erie,history is truly a vast subject.I'll look it up.:)

Reminds me of an anecdote I heard (dunno whether its true) : When the American's sent a man to space they made a really expensive pen that could work there in space to write stuff; the Russians on the other hand gave their cosmonaut a lead pencil instead ! :tongue:
If the story can poke US in the eye, then it must be true, whether it is factually true or not.

snopes.com: NASA Space Pen
As good a story and moral as that may be, however, this anecdote doesn't offer a real-life example of that syndrome.

Both U.S. astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts initially used pencils on space flights, but those writing instruments were not ideal: pencil tips can flake and break off, and having such objects floating around space capsules in near-zero gravity posed a potential harm to astronauts and equipment. (As well, after the fatal Apollo 1 fire in 1967, NASA was anxious to avoid having astronauts carry flammable objects such as pencils onboard with them.)

When the solution of providing astronauts with a ballpoint pen that would work under weightless conditions and extreme temperatures came about, though, it wasn't because NASA had thrown hundreds of thousands of dollars (inflated to $12 billion in the latest iterations of this tale) in research and development money at the problem. The "space pen" that has since become famous through its use by astronauts was developed independently by Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Co., who spent his own money on the project and, once he perfected his AG-7 "Anti-Gravity" Space Pen, offered it to NASA. After that agency tested and approved the pen's suitability for use in space flights, they purchased a number of the instruments from Fisher for a modest price.

Fact or Fiction?: NASA Spent Millions to Develop a Pen that Would Write in Space, whereas the Soviet Cosmonauts Used a Pencil - Scientific American
According to an Associated Press report from February 1968, NASA ordered 400 of Fisher's antigravity ballpoint pens for the Apollo program. A year later, the Soviet Union ordered 100 pens and 1,000 ink cartridges to use on their Soyuz space missions, said the United Press International. The AP later noted that both NASA and the Soviet space agency received the same 40 percent discount for buying their pens in bulk. They both paid $2.39 per pen instead of $3.98.
I doubt that you will accept this debunking. As long as the tale is enjoyable to any degree, we Americans know you will repeat it. :enjoy:

To tell you the truth i know very little about battle of lake erie,history is truly a vast subject.I'll look it up.:)

lol, no worry, just that you mentioned Ship of the line, Battle of Lake Erie believes to have halted the Ship-of-the-Line era where US using small frigate packed with punch to out flank the ship-of-the-line the Brits using The battle that make OHP famous hehe :)

If the story can poke US in the eye, then it must be true, whether it is factually true or not.

snopes.com: NASA Space Pen

Fact or Fiction?: NASA Spent Millions to Develop a Pen that Would Write in Space, whereas the Soviet Cosmonauts Used a Pencil - Scientific American

I doubt that you will accept this debunking. As long as the tale is enjoyable to any degree, we Americans know you will repeat it. :enjoy:

I think I did qualify that tale with 'I don't know whether its true' ! o_O

:-)

Sounds like the USN is about to get a whole lot deadlier.

As if they weren't already deadly enough

Good for the USN! Never can tell when the next 'Hitler like' regime might pop up and would have to be humbled.

Back
Top Bottom