What's new

US urges Pakistan to help revive peace talks with Taliban

in a way its in Paks own best interest i don't know why people r making fuss about it...

look at this way if Pak helps US to strike a peace treaty with Taliban to would mean a peaceful US exit from Afghan, a stable Afghan n Taliban back in power means increased Pak leverage in Afghan....:thinktank:

The government of Pakistan has distanced itself from that foolish statement, which was made by the Minister for Railways as the member of a small coalition party.

The fact of the matter still stands. This guy is high up in the government and holds extremist views. How can anyone expect to work with someone that would kill another human being over a video?

in a way its in Paks own best interest i don't know why people r making fuss about it...

look at this way if Pak helps US to strike a peace treat with Taliban to would mean a peaceful US exit from Afghan, a stable Afghan n Taliban back in power means increased Pak leverage in Afghan....:thinktank:

Like we predicted half decade go.

US will make taliban against us and then they will ran away.

The fact of the matter still stands. This guy is high up in the government and holds extremist views. How can anyone expect to work with someone that would kill another human being over a video?

It is a simple political calculation on his part: He has run the Railways into the ground, and is merely using this claim to protect him from being sacked. If sacked, he can then claim to have been victimized due to his "love" for the prophet thus furthering his appeal in his community, that is all. A cynical ploy, not much else.

This is the same guy when questioned on the abysmal state of Railways in Pakistan (His portfolio which is literally falling apart !) replied something to the effect of 'So what Nations can run without trains too...Afghanistan doesn't have any trains !'. The point being - No one takes him seriously even in Pakistan ! But I do see your point - Perception counts and we've just handed the Americans and most of the International Community another stick to beat us silly with !

This is the same guy when questioned on the abysmal state of Railways in Pakistan (His portfolio which is literally falling apart !) replied something to the effect of 'So what Nations can run without trains too...Afghanistan doesn't have any trains !'. The point being - No one takes him seriously even in Pakistan ! But I do see your point - Perception counts and we've just handed the Americans and most of the International Community another stick to beat us silly with !

Even assuming this is true, either way it looks terrible for Pakistan in the eyes of everyone.

Best case scenario, you are saying that an incompetent lunatic is the minister of all the railroads

Worst case scenario, a known extremist sympathizer with extreme views, is ready to openly give money to terrorists, and is in charge of all the railroads, despite being completely incompetent.

Looks terrible either way.

Even assuming this is true, either way it looks terrible for Pakistan in the eyes of everyone.

Best case scenario, you are saying that an incompetent lunatic is the minister of all the railroads

Worst case scenario, a known extremist sympathizer with extreme views, is ready to openly give money to terrorists, and is in charge of all the railroads, despite being completely incompetent.

Looks terrible either way.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte.

And the present government in Pakistan has incompetence by the shovelful.

Afghanistan is the launch pad of TTP.
Pakistan shall seek fencing of border.

Like we predicted half decade go.

US will make taliban against us and then they will ran away.

Dear Don Jaguar and Batman,

Pakistan’s security and stability is vital to the wellbeing of the entire region. We cannot have a safe and stable region without a safe and stable Pakistan. We’ve also made our stance clear in regards to Afghan-led reconciliation with the Taliban; U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said: “Insurgents must renounce violence, abandon al Qaeda, and abide by the constitution of Afghanistan, including its protections for women and minorities. If insurgents cannot meet those red-lines, they will face continued and unrelenting assault."

The question about building a fence also comes up from time to time. Richard Hoagland, the Charge d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, responded to this idea, saying, “Pakistan is a neighbor and a brother of Afghanistan. There is no way, ever, to separate the two. You cannot build a fence along the entire border and say no one will ever cross it. I have no doubt that Pakistan wants a stable, friendly and eventually prosperous Afghanistan. And I know from what officials have said, whether it is military … or civilian … that is where Pakistan is looking for the future.”

LTC Taylor,
DET, United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

The question about building a fence also comes up from time to time. Richard Hoagland, the Charge d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, responded to this idea, saying, “Pakistan is a neighbor and a brother of Afghanistan. There is no way, ever, to separate the two. You cannot build a fence along the entire border and say no one will ever cross it. I have no doubt that Pakistan wants a stable, friendly and eventually prosperous Afghanistan. And I know from what officials have said, whether it is military … or civilian … that is where Pakistan is looking for the future.”

LTC Taylor,
U.S. Central Command

whose views conflict with those of Janet Nepolitano, a former advisor at US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHA)

I remember she and her delegation were in Islamabad a few years back; the talks of electrified fence along more volatile parts of the border was discussed and we sought US help on that --given the massive scale and efforts needed to do such a daunting task. Alas, government of Kabul was the one that raised protests and our side backed off and heeded to their concerns

it's unfortunate however that Afghan soil is used in provocative and hostile fashion against Pakistan time to time and this is something that had better change; as you yourself rightly say, "We cannot have a safe and stable region without a safe and stable Pakistan.

Well we've been saying the same about Afghanistan. Once you solve the problems in Afghanistan, this will all be over and there will be some return to normalcy. However the main question is -- WHO will help to solve and address the problems of Afghanistan? And under what garb? In uniform and unable to create a long-lasting partnership with Afghans?? Civilian-side?

the civilians and khakis in Washington themselves are divided on Afghan strategy

Dear Don Jaguar and Batman,

Pakistan’s security and stability is vital to the wellbeing of the entire region. We cannot have a safe and stable region without a safe and stable Pakistan. We’ve also made our stance clear in regards to Afghan-led reconciliation with the Taliban; U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said: “Insurgents must renounce violence, abandon al Qaeda, and abide by the constitution of Afghanistan, including its protections for women and minorities. If insurgents cannot meet those red-lines, they will face continued and unrelenting assault."

LTC Taylor,
U.S. Central Command

I thought it was a popular demand from US to Pakistan... 'block cross border movement'!

A electrified fence? What are the Taliban, some dumb cows who are going to bump into the fence and then back off? The Americans are certainly the people you want to talk to regarding building fences between countries. The fence we built between us and Mexico works real good- for the dumb cows. As far as people, even the most stupid of them dig under, go over, go around or cut through them.

^^ I fell sorry for the dumb act of fencing US-Mexican border. :(

A electrified fence? What are the Taliban, some dumb cows who are going to bump into the fence and then back off? The Americans are certainly the people you want to talk to regarding building fences between countries. The fence we built between us and Mexico works real good- for the dumb cows. As far as people, even the most stupid of them dig under, go over, go around or cut through them.

well judging by ground realities in Arizona, a lot more needs to be done.....

but then again, border enforcement --especially in tricky geography (forget the fairly flat barren lands seperating US-Mex) is a DAUNTING task - it requires shyt loads of manpower, shyt loads of resources (not limited to just financial resources) and it requires JOINT efforts

it's beyond ridiculous to even compare US-Mex border to "*******" border. NATO has their grievances, and we have our fair share of grievances as well

Back
Top Bottom