US troops to stay in Afghanistan till 2024: envoy

karan.1970

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
US troops to stay in Afghanistan till 2024: envoy | DAWN.COM

ryan-crocker-670.jpg

WASHINGTON: A US plan to keep some combat troops and an effective air power in Afghanistan is having a positive impact not only on the internal situation but also Kabul’s neighbours, says a senior US diplomat. According to the plan, outlined recently in the US media, American troops will stay in Afghanistan until 2024 as Washington will not allow the Taliban to take over that country.

The Obama administration’s new Afghan policy, although already reported by various media outlets, has now also been confirmed by the outgoing US ambassador to Kabul, Ryan Crocker.

In two separate interviews to the US media this week; Mr Crocker made it clear that the American military — including some combat troops — will stay in Afghanistan for at least 10 years after the expected US withdrawal in 2014.

Reports in the US media say the troops will include Special Forces soldiers and an effective air power to contain the rebels.

In his interview to Wall Street Journal, Mr Crocker said the new plan was also acceptable to Pakistan, which recently allowed two Taliban representatives to travel to Japan to attend a June 28 international conference on Afghanistan.

Asked whether he thought the meeting represented a step for Afghan-to-Afghan reconciliation, Mr Crocker said: “There’s definitely smoke — and some fire.”

He noted that the Kyoto meeting may have had some tacit support from Pakistan, where much of the top Taliban leadership is based.

Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate, he said, was likely keeping tabs on insurgents and their travels. “They had to get out of Pakistan to get there,” Mr Crocker said. “My guess is that the ISI said, ‘OK’.”

The US diplomat gave two reasons for this change in the ISI’s and Taliban’s attitude: One, Pakistan is increasingly feeling the ‘blowback’ of terrorism, two, the US plan to stay in Afghanistan at least up to 2024.

The US plan, he argued, had made it abundantly clear that Washington would not accept a Taliban takeover in Kabul.

Excellent news.

AFG people deserve peace and prosperity and that can only come this way. Their neighbors will also want the same for them. Educating the masses while hitting the taliban from left and right is the best thing for Afghanistan.

I dont know what will happen to millions of dreams of Pakistani members here of doing this and that in Afghanistan after NATO leaves..;)

I guess a lot of them will have to pass that baton to their kids (or grand kids if I go by USA's track record of committing a date of withdrawl and then extending it ) :lol:

Have been saying since 2 yrs that U.S will never go back.Those who thinks every thing will be alright after 2014 ;) are in delusions.
Second phase of war will start after 2014 and drones etc will continue.U.S may park a Carrier fleet to counter any attack on it by pakistan :lol: .

You mean the 50,000 troops which will stay in afghanistan after 2014 will withdraw in 2024?

So basically, US is looking to establish something similiar to what they had in post war Germany.

Who knows...maybe in 30 years Afghanistan may become the 'Germany of central Asia'.
dude srsly? I'd love to see AFG progress, but that was one dumb comment. Germany was more advanced the USA, AFG is one of the least advanced countries on earth. Educating the masses and creating a half-decent infrastructure is the best it can hope for till 2030.

Of course they will, they are here to stay in this region & they will continue to destabilize Pakistan with the help of India also with the help of corrupt & evil politicians who are currently in rule & their political allies.

Of course they will, they are here to stay in this region & they will continue to destabilize Pakistan with the help of India also with the help of corrupt & evil politicians who are currently in rule & their political allies.

You had to bring India in your woes . You are Actually biting the hands that fed you for 4 decades :rofl: . You Sir With CIA Created Talibs , not India but oh wait they are "Good Talibs" Then you tried using those Good Talibs Post-USSR period in India . Now when your Good Talibs are biting your own "a**" . You are cying "India India India " .

Pakistan was one of the three countries that recognized Taliban Government in Afghanistan . You are Reaping what you sowed . And you are suffering for making Common Afghanis suffer Taliban . Karma's a B****

This is good news for chinese and their floundering economy .They will get the long term contract for supplying bodybags to usa.

I dont know what will happen to millions of dreams of Pakistani members here of doing this and that in Afghanistan after NATO leaves..;)

I guess a lot of them will have to pass that baton to their kids (or grand kids if I go by USA's track record of committing a date of withdrawl and then extending it ) :lol:

American military — including some combat troops — will stay in Afghanistan for at least 10 years after the expected US withdrawal in 2014.

Pakistan will re-live the dream- Dont over flatter yourslef-

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom