What's new

US to do everything it can to help Bangladesh reach its destination: Ambassador Peter Haas

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

US to do everything it can to help Bangladesh reach its destination: Ambassador Peter Haas​

BANGLADESH

TBS Report
15 March, 2023, 10:55 am
Last modified: 15 March, 2023, 03:10 pm

1655469934-unb_newswire.jpg

US Ambassador to Bangladesh Peter Haas. Photo:UNB

The US Ambassador in Bangladesh Peter Haas has assured that his country will do everything it can to help Bangladesh reach its desired destination.

The US has been and will continue to be accompanying Bangladesh in its journey to becoming a prosperous, democratic, developed country, he furthered in a video marking his one year in office on Wednesday (15 March).

He said, "Today, I celebrate my one-year anniversary serving as the US ambassador to Bangladesh. In the past year, I have had the honour to visit many places in this beautiful country.

"I have seen fascinating places throughout Dhaka, as well as in the Sundarbans, Rajshahi, and Cox's Bazar. I have been privileged to meet Bangladeshis of all ages and from all walks of life. And I have learnt to love shingara, biriyani and mishti doi."

"When I think about Bangladesh, an analogy comes to mind. I am riding in a car in which movement down the road represents the passage of time. When I look in the rearview mirror, I am amazed by how far Bangladesh has come in just 51 years. I see a Bangladesh that has made the journey from a country with little more than its independence and pride to a country with one of the world's fastest-growing economies that is on the cusp of graduating from the least developed country status.

"When I look down the road through the windscreen, I imagine just how far Bangladesh can travel over the next 51 years. Bangladesh has everything it needs to become a prosperous, democratic, developed country in the coming years," he added.

The US ambassador said, "The road ahead is, of course, not flat and straight. It has hills, and turns, and potholes. As with every country, Bangladesh will have to navigate those twists and turns as it takes steps to nourish democracy, improve governance, build institutions, and educate its people.

"Bangladesh and its people are steering this vehicle, and it is you who will determine the direction — and the speed — at which the car travels in the future. The United States has been and will continue to be accompanying you on this journey. We will do everything we can to help you reach your destination."

"So, as I begin my second year as the US ambassador to this great country, I look forward to continuing our journey together. Dhonnobad," he concluded in the video.

On 15 March Peter Haas visited the 584 MW Combined Cycle Power Project of Unique Meghnaghatpower Limited (UMPL) at Sonargaon, Narayanganj.

Calum David Cornforth, site manager of a power plant contractor (EPC- Engineering Procurement and Construction) GE Gas Power informed Peter Haas of the latest status of the project.

About 92% of the project has already been completed. The project is scheduled to be commercially operational (Commercial Operation Date-COD) in October 2023.

Be very careful.
It is not that we have borrowed $34 billion of US money and eaten up all with euphoria in the process as if there is no tomorrow.

It is also not that the US/ IMF looks the other way when we request loans. Why should BD be careful? The US has already helped BD with $1.9 billion in aid for Rohingya and like you, we did not eat it up.

BD has to stay guard against China. China is gradually making inroads toward Burma and the US needs BD support to stop China from entering the BoB via Burma.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom