What's new

US tech workers' body ask Trump to suspend H-1B visa programme amid layoff fears

jericho

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US tech workers' body ask Trump to suspend H-1B visa programme amid layoff fears

If the work-visa programme is suspended for the current year, then it will impact Indian IT companies the most as they use the visa to deploy Indian engineers at the client's site in the US.

KEY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Unemployment claims had gone up to 3 million in the previous week, with projections showing that this could rise further by another 30%.
  • US Tech Workers has urged to pause both the H-1B and H-2B visa programme this year
  • The anti-immigration technology workers' group believes that unemployment problem will rise further in US if another 85,000 migrant workers come through H-1B visa this year.

New Delhi: Following the outbreak of Covid-19 virus, which has infected more than 2 lakh in the U.S so far, a US-based anti-immigration technology workers group has requested Donald Trump to suspended the H-1B work-visa programme for the current year. Due to the outbreak of Covid-19 virus more and more people are losing jobs in the country.

According to a report in the Economic Times, US Tech Workers, a non-profit organisation, which advocates more local hiring, has written to the US President saying unemployment claims had gone up to 3 million in the previous week, with projections showing that this could rise further by another 30%.

“We urge you to pause the H-1B visa programme that would bring in 85,000 workers this year and suspend the recently approved addition of additional 35,000 workers for the H-2B visa,” the publication quoted US Tech Workers as saying in the letter.

While the H-1B visa is primarily used to bring in highly skilled workers to the US, the H-2B visa is used mainly for farm workers, primarily from Latin America. Worth mentioning here is that Indian techies bag most of the H-1B visas granted every year. Hence, if the work-visa programme is suspended for the current year, then it will impact Indian IT companies the most as they use the visa to deploy Indian engineers at the client's site in the US.

When contacted, IT industry association Nasscom declined to comment on US Tech Workers’ stance on H1-B visas, although it pointed out that the H-1B visas “fulfil an acknowledged critical skills gap for all global companies in the US market....”

It may be noted that Nasscom has requested the US Citizenship and Immigration Services for a 90-day grace period for tech professionals to leave the US following expiry of their visas. The current limit is 60 days. Other firms representing tech workers have asked for it to be extended to 180 days, citing the rising number of layoffs and economic uncertainty.

https://www.timesnownews.com/busine...-h-1b-visa-programme-amid-layoff-fears/572847

They should shut it down these damn Indians abuse this system to much and their IT Workers are substandard below par. I have friends working in Abbive, Nokia Data Centers, etc., and the stories are scary as to how incompetent they are.

It used to be but for most part, new entries into Canada start from the bottom, unless they complete bridging courses to get their desi degrees recognized.

Unfortunately the below holds true everywhere

"You can take the desi out of the pind but you cannot take the pind out of the desi"

I've sadly seen the above with my brother and parents as well. Still love them to death but the petty desiness and jugaad attitude has become a pet peeve.

More than 6.6 million Americans have filed for unemployment.

Meanwhile, 275000 applications for H1B visa this year have been made, 68% of those are from India.

All of them low tech jobs which can easily be filled by US citizens if there was a demand. But demand has been squashed because of foreign import

They should shut it down these damn Indians abuse this system to much and their IT Workers are substandard below par. I have friends working in Abbive, Nokia Data Centers, etc., and the stories are scary as to how incompetent they are.

More sour grapes from Pakistani members of PDF. If Indians are incompetent as you claim, would they still be getting H-1B visas by the thousands? And far as abuse is concerned, it takes two to tango. I agree that H-1B rules should be strengthened to prevent abuse of the system, just don’t blame Indians exlusively.

More sour grapes from Pakistani members of PDF. If Indians are incompetent as you claim, would they still be getting H-1B visas by the thousands? And far as abuse is concerned, it takes two to tango. I agree that H-1B rules should be strengthened to prevent abuse of the system, just don’t blame Indians exlusively.

Leave it dude, every where else is different and pdf is different, they intentionally open these threads in their war against Indians.

Only reason they getting Visas is cause Ganguland churns our more tech students and companies will pay low wages and you people jump for it.

How ever the structure is set up where workers from India work in a group dominated by Americans and Chinese as managers and executives and you people work in a sweat shop style environment.

Yet despite having a population of over 1.4 billion, indians HAVE NEVER EVER invented or created ANY advanced Sciences or technologies, including the field of IT/Computing.

Not true at all- There is shortage of Software engineers in the US- Off course there is abuse-No denying that, but at the same time I know the quality of deserving engineers from India/China/SL/Russia/Ukraine- They are cream.

Only reason they getting Visas is cause Ganguland churns our more tech students and companies will pay low wages and you people jump for it.

How ever the structure is set up where workers from India work in a group dominated by Americans and Chinese as managers and executives and you people work in a sweat shop style environment.
Because use of that Gangu churan Sundar pachai able make what's chrome browser today. Do you know even entire chrome ecosystem was his idea and that's why he is CEO of google of course he jumped at CEO post for low wages
Also 50% of Motels are being owned by Indian origins in USA yes first they get own Motel and then they heir their self for low wage. I am so happy that all top companies are paying pakistanis highest and all of them are at top position. Please leave small low wages job of CEO, CTO and CFO for Poor Indians as you guys don't want those jobs because of low wages.
Thank you!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom