What's new

US sent thousands of troops to wrong province

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON, June 26:

The Pentagon sent thousands of US troops to the wrong province in Afghanistan and “squandered more than a year of the war”, claims a book released on Tuesday.

The book — “Little America: The War Within the War for Afghanistan” — also shows how the White House national security staff blocked the late Ambassador Richard Holbrooke from negotiating a peace deal with the Taliban.

After reading the revelations, Congressman Frank Wolf wrote a letter to President Barack Obama, urging him to remove retired Lt-Gen Douglas Lute from his post on the National Security Council for blocking Mr Holbrooke’s peace plans.

In February 2009, President Obama agreed to send 17,000 additional troops to Afghanistan and another 30,000 later the same year.

But more than 50 per cent of the initial 17,000 ended up in Helmand instead of the Taliban nerve-centre of Kandahar.

“Can someone tell me why the Marines were sent to Helmand?” Gen Stanley McChrystal, the then US commander in Afghanistan, reportedly asked upon his arrival in Kabul in June 2009.

Gen McChrystal regarded Helmand to be of “far lower strategic significance” than Kandahar.

If the first batch of surge troops had been deployed to Kandahar, it could have obviated the need for a full 30,000 surge later that year, US military officials who served in Afghanistan told the author, Rajiv Chandrasekaran of The Washington Post.

A deployment in Kandahar could also have granted US commanders “the flexibility to combat insurgent havens in eastern Afghanistan much sooner”, the book states.

Gen McChrystal’s 34-year career ended in June 2010 when a Rolling Stone magazine article quoted his subordinates ridiculing President Obama.

The book details how the infighting between Mr Holbrooke and Gen Lute — and then-National Security Adviser James Jones — thwarted efforts to seek a negotiated settlement to the Afghan war.

At one stage, Gen Jones tried getting President Obama to fire Mr Holbrooke but Secretary of State Hillary Clinton prevented it.

NSC officials would schedule key meetings when Mr Holbrooke was out of town, refused to allow him to use a military aeroplane and tried, unsuccessfully, to exclude him from President Obama’s Oval Office meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

President Obama “could have ordered a stop to the infighting” because, he too favoured a negotiated end to the war, like Mr Holbrooke, but “his sympathies lay with his NSC staffers”, the book notes.

The president did not like Mr Holbrooke’s “frenetic behaviour”, which was the antithesis of Mr Obama’s ‘no-drama’ rule, Mr Chandrasekaran writes. “The president never granted Mr Holbrooke a one-on-one session in the Oval Office, and when he travelled to Afghanistan in March 2010, he took more than a dozen people” except Mr Holbrooke.

In July 2009, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia sent a personal message to President Obama asking him to dispatch someone to meet Taliban emissaries who were communicating with the Saudi intelligence service.

Mr Holbrooke figured the overture was worth pursuing but the NSC showed little interest.

In the spring of 2010, the NSC eventually expressed support for reconciliation but with a twist: Gen Lute suggested that a UN envoy, former Algerian foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi, should negotiate with the Taliban.

Gen Lute’s plan relegated Mr Holbrooke to a support role.

This infuriated Secretary Clinton who thought the NSC was asking a UN envoy to run America’s foreign policy.

When Gen David Petraeus replaced Gen McChrystal in Afghanistan, he shelved peace moves and tried to subdue the Taliban in the battlefield, as he had done in Iraq.

In a letter to President Obama, Congressman Wolf, notes: “Ignoring policy suggestions simply because of personal differences prevented the full consideration of all ideas for achieving success in the region.”

Mr Wolf, who is a member of the House Appropriations Defence subcommittee, urges Mr Obama to act now.

“Since you chose not to quash this petty squabbling while it was occurring, I believe the only solution now is to remove Gen Lute,” he writes.

Such behaviour, he says, is “unacceptable, especially when the lives of America service members are on the line”.

US sent thousands of troops to wrong province: book | DAWN.COM

Did i read somewhere that Americans have spy satellites that can read a car's number plate from space.

Did i read somewhere that Americans have spy satellites that can read a car's number plate from space.

A yes or no question on their visa application:

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp

If anyone wants to enter USA to do the things mentioned in the question or did what is mentioned in the question, will he be dumb enough to say "Yes" ? :D

A yes or no question on their visa application:

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp

If anyone wants to enter USA to do the things mentioned in the question or did what is mentioned in the question, will he be dumb enough to say "Yes" ? :D

Isn't it ironic, they always take pride in their hi-tech gadgets and GPS and what not, yet they are incompetent to distinguish between two simple ground locations, shall we term this as an other case of friendly fire, except this time they shot off their own foot. :cheesy:

shhhh

dont break it
the deafening silence from the trolls and thread bots

the same chronic trolls who normally dont stop asking us

-how we didnt know when Americans came all the way up to Abbotababad to assassinate Osama
-how we cant we find the Haqqanis in North West Province.

And then they brag about how accurate the drones and American weapons are. in a thread about Pakistan shelling on TTP in Afghanistan, an Indian genius was educating me about the goldy GPS system being used by Americans that helps them to pin point the Taliban.
too bad that GPS is unable to distinguish Halmand from Kandhar.

that GPS might have been made on the same American principle.... "they are all the same.. whats the difference if they are civilians or Taliban who cares"

what an Epic fail is that.

the sad b@stards lost a whole Afghan Province from the map of Afghanistan .. :woot: WTF .. its

and wants more... they managed to hide this fact or didnt realize it for a year.

now thats called living so deep in their own arse for so long that all they see and hear (i.e. absolute shite & farts).

..."give a warm welcome to our brave troops returning from Afghanistan.." comes the airport announcement .. and there is roar and cheers among the Americans, some choking with tears waving the American flags..." (ignorance... what a bliss.. billions being wasted in a wrong place) :)

well that explains a lot.. why a world's most advanced & powerful military has failed to quash the Afghan resistance for 10 years.

oh yea that must be the Haqqanis or ISI that created so much fat in the eyes of the Americans that they were unable to distinguish between Helmand and Kandhar and their arse from elbow.

Something tells me that the war in Afghanistan isn't going to end too well....

President Obama “could have ordered a stop to the infighting” because, he too favoured a negotiated end to the war, like Mr Holbrooke, but “his sympathies lay with his NSC staffers”, the book notes.

Mr Obama is an incompetent man-

Mr Obama is an incompetent man-

Obama just gave a new meaning to Nobel peace prize.

he ordered troops surge in Afghanistan,
increased drones strikes,
failed to punish people for their war crimes in Afghanistan
strangulated the whistle blowers
ordered permanent bases in Afghanistan even after the token withdrawal

no wonder he was never interested what the late Holbrook had to say which had any potential for peace.

lets see how this greatest speaker spins this if someone dares to ask him a question in one of his addresses.

Afghanistan is such a magical land that lie at the crossroads of Asia
from Afghanistan can easily invade the most important area of asia
that's why Afghanistan is so attractive to those aggressive countries
at the same time Afghanistan is so called "empire graveyard"

i think the USA must be claiming "i am hurt but happy "

Afghanistan is such a magical land that lie at the crossroads of Asia
from Afghanistan can easily invade the most important area of asia
that's why Afghanistan is so attractive to those aggressive countries
at the same time Afghanistan is so called "empire graveyard"

i think the USA must be claiming "i am hurt but happy "

it willl be equally applicable for pakistan if they try to control that region.. if u get my drift ;)

shhhh

dont break it
the deafening silence from the trolls and thread bots

the same chronic trolls who normally dont stop asking us

-how we didnt know when Americans came all the way up to Abbotababad to assassinate Osama
-how we cant we find the Haqqanis in North West Province.

And then they brag about how accurate the drones and American weapons are. in a thread about Pakistan shelling on TTP in Afghanistan, an Indian genius was educating me about the goldy GPS system being used by Americans that helps them to pin point the Taliban.
too bad that GPS is unable to distinguish Halmand from Kandhar.

that GPS might have been made on the same American principle.... "they are all the same.. whats the difference if they are civilians or Taliban who cares"

what an Epic fail is that.

the sad b@stards lost a whole Afghan Province from the map of Afghanistan .. :woot: WTF .. its

and wants more... they managed to hide this fact or didnt realize it for a year.

now thats called living so deep in their own arse for so long that all they see and hear (i.e. absolute shite & farts).

..."give a warm welcome to our brave troops returning from Afghanistan.." comes the airport announcement .. and there is roar and cheers among the Americans, some choking with tears waving the American flags..." (ignorance... what a bliss.. billions being wasted in a wrong place) :)

well that explains a lot.. why a world's most advanced & powerful military has failed to quash the Afghan resistance for 10 years.

oh yea that must be the Haqqanis or ISI that created so much fat in the eyes of the Americans that they were unable to distinguish between Helmand and Kandhar and their arse from elbow.

what is your point ? OBL was not in abbottabad ? Your army never knew that americans are over GHQ ? If they did tell me which country is a US poodle now..

what is your point ? OBL was not in abbottabad ? Your army never knew that americans are over GHQ ? If they did tell me which country is a US poodle now..

here here
grand entrance with a loud fart

here is a point no wait ... 3 points for you

1. Pakistani state never hid the fact that Americans sneaked in without its knowlege. Americans on the other hand didnt know they were in the wrong province or chose to denay the fact for over a year. :azn:

2. GHQ is in Rawalpindi, not Abbotabad... looks like you are suffering from the same symptoms that American had who sent their soldiers to Halmond instead of Kandhar. :rofl:

3. Osama's assassination is never a contested issue between US and Pakistan. the point is.. people like you were making fun of PAF's inability to discover the American covert operation. fair enough we missed few stealth helicopters.. Americans on the other hand.. lost an entire province from the map of Afghanistan. get it? :flame:

I know at this point you are already switched off and if I even call you names you wont notice that. but I wont do such a thing and let you off. now go back to your corner and dont strain your brain too much.

A great progress and achievement. US tend to kill wrong people, wrong place, wrong children and doing waste billion dollars. Making wrong decision in war is risk or they say in excuse in turn to blame Pakistan, blame us for wrong places? Before insulting us, you must speak with clear mind. It is YOU who are failure again in Afghanistan war.

Now it is time to pay each compensation to each civilians you killed them !

Worlds no 1 terrorist is USA army in Afghan and no 2 is Drone . They kill innocents so mercilessly . :cry:

I thought US is immune from committing mistakes

The way they claim they are always right... It is very sad to hear that lol

Back
Top Bottom