What's new

US renews bonds with Pakistan Army

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US renews bonds with Pakistan Army

* $2 billion military aid package from Washington shows it seeks to meet Pakistan Army’s demands

* Analyst says army is seen as ‘a can-do institution’

WASHINGTON: When it crafted a giant civilian aid plan for Pakistan last year, the United States proclaimed a turning point in a troubled relationship, with US money henceforth to serve the cause of democracy.

On Friday, in the wake of the latest tensions between the war partners, President Barack Obama’s administration announced it would seek another $2 billion in aid for Pakistan – this time, destined for the military. The Obama administration has repeatedly pledged support for civilian rule in Pakistan, which was restored in 2008, and said on Friday it would bar assistance from several military units accused of human rights abuses.

But the latest aid package shows that the United States is also keen to meet the wish lists of the army, which has long been a major player in Pakistan and provides vital logistical support for forces in Afghanistan. Teresita Schaffer, a former US diplomat who has served in Islamabad, said the United States faced a balancing act between working with the military and supporting civilian institutions. “The US routinely has trouble figuring out exactly where that line belongs and how to stay on the right side of things,” said Schaffer, director of the South Asia programme at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies.

“Partly that’s because the military in Pakistan is a can-do institution, much more so than the civilians,” she said. “This is partly theatrics, but we as people are magnetically drawn to an institution and a leader who says, ‘Yeah, I can help you with what you really want to get done’,” she said. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the military package during the two nations’ latest strategic dialogue, where Pakistan’s public face was Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.

But as in previous talks, army chief General Ashfaq Kayani, also turned up in Washington and held meetings behind closed doors. Kayani was unusually public last year in his criticism of Washington’s five-year, $7.5 billion civilian aid package, calling it undue foreign interference. The bill’s authors – Senators John Kerry and Richard Lugar and Representative Howard Berman – described the aid as a way to improve US relations with ordinary Pakistanis and dent the allure of extremists.

More recently, Kayani was said to have criticised civilian leaders over their response to major floods. Shuja Nawaz, director of the South Asia Centre at the Atlantic Council, said he did not see a shift so much in Washington’s relations with the Pakistani military as with its perceptions of the civilians. “I think the civilian government has missed a number of opportunities to show it is in charge and can take decisions rapidly and firmly, and the floods were a very good example of that,” Nawaz said. afp

Pakistani civilian government is a joke and Army is a stop gap measure. We need hybrid arrangements like turkey to prepare a democratic and secular generation of leaders to take charge of the future.

All propaganda machinery in Pakistan is vying for a millitary take over from civillian rule. Wow .. With the support to millitary on PDF in particular, it look that generals can come in to power not only by a coup but democratically as well!

Fighter

All propaganda machinery in Pakistan is vying for a millitary take over from civillian rule. Wow .. With the support to millitary on PDF in particular, it look that generals can come in to power not only by a coup but democratically as well!

Fighter

Who invited you for an opinion??
do u live in Pakistan?? Do you know about Pakistani politics?? Are you a Pakistani??
Its better to admit reality than a fake democracy where half of the population is a rebel. And India is floating tenders to buy choppers for suppressing Maoist. Wow, a rag tag jungle force needing choppers and all the war machinery. While they are fighting insurgency themselves, they are igniting opinion by funding anti-state insurgents in our NW areas.

This aid will come in a form of bill similar to Kerry lugger bill with lots of strings attached to it.
Does anyone know if our reimbursement bill of 2009/08 has been paid yet?

Fighter

I'm sorry, do you know what it's like to be a Pakistani under corrupt NRO democrazy??

I'd rather have my baby sister running Pakistan than the likes of Zardari.

Democratic parties such as PML-N and PPP are ruining and braking Pakistan in the name of democracy.

Military dictatorship is not that bad... take Musharraf for example, during his time Pakistan soldiered through sanctions and came out a more powerful nation, our economy rocketed, corruption was at an all time low, stocks were up, inflation was down. Pak was running at peak performance.

I want that back^^
:pakistan:

Fighter

PDF has more support for Military than any other forum I have seen but its just natural being a "defence forum". Lets not read too much into it. The days for the Military rule are gone. Judiciary is a very solid player now and has a strong public backing its not as easy for the establishment to have things there way.

Having said that Military and Civilian establishment are all happy because of a very weak and non functional Government in the center. They can easily dictate terms from the back ground. A recent example is the Strategic dialogue with US all the preparations were done in GHQ.

hahah nice trick I think we should just move with Russia now , enough is enough

This strange relationship we have with US is too abusive need a more stable partner

Last edited:
PDF has more support for Military than any other forum I have seen but its just natural being a "defence forum". Lets not read too much into it. The days for the Military rule are gone. Judiciary is a very solid player now and has a strong public backing its not as easy for the establishment to have things there way.

Having said that Military and Civilian establishment are all happy because of a very weak and non functional Government in the center. They can easily dictate terms from the back ground. A recent example is the Strategic dialogue with US all the preparations were done in GHQ.

Perhaps another reason for this is that the previous military leader did not do much other than staying drunk during his tenure... I keep saying this to my friends... No doubt Zardari is the worst of all presidents in the history of mankind but we should demand someone much better than Musharaf...

Perhaps another reason for this is that the previous military leader did not do much other than staying drunk during his tenure... I keep saying this to my friends... No doubt Zardari is the worst of all presidents in the history of mankind but we should demand someone much better than Musharaf...

I would have had opinions similar to Jungibaaz if not for seeing Musharraf Drunk and dancing with the governor and GOC of Khyber whilst the coastal areas of Balochistan were flooded.
I would not like a military dictator for multiple reasons..
as I dont like the current "flavor" of democracy offered to us.

The truth lies in the middle ground for everyone..
Be it Musharraf, Mian Saab or Zardari.

The cozying up however.. is a dangerous precedent..
Since the aid itself isnt a problem.. by all means we'll take more..
the expectations that it will create in an already hostile US congress about Pakistan's performance in the "war against America's enemies and a few old buddies" will be much more stingy than before.

Why dont we use the $2Bn to re-Equip the army?
Buy M4s and produce more Al-Khalids and Al-Zarrars also host another military excercise and improve facilities at the camps for brave soldiers ??

OR

Give Bonuses to our soldiers ??

What about a Shaheen IV or F 35s in army ? :P
:blah::blah::blah::blah:

What ever you do,
Make sure to use the money wisely!

I'm sorry, do you know what it's like to be a Pakistani under corrupt NRO democrazy??

I'd rather have my baby sister running Pakistan than the likes of Zardari.

Democratic parties such as PML-N and PPP are ruining and braking Pakistan in the name of democracy.

Military dictatorship is not that bad... take Musharraf for example, during his time Pakistan soldiered through sanctions and came out a more powerful nation, our economy rocketed, corruption was at an all time low, stocks were up, inflation was down. Pak was running at peak performance.

I want that back^^

So do WE all, sir !!!
:pakistan::pakistan:

More about Musharraf and Pakistan's economy on:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/national-political-issues/77396-what-does-wikipedia-say-about-corruption-pakistan-during-musharrafs-rule.html

Dear All,

My comments are not in favour of present civillian leadership but an endorsement that present setup of GoP is unsatisfactory for people of Pakistan. It need to be changed but not through millitary dictators like Gen. (Retd.)Musharraf. Zardari kind of of 'sold-out' politicians would not serve Pakistan.

Take help of millitary to conduct a free and fare election and a stable civillian government. Not otherwise! Where millitary generals throw the leaders like zardari, out in Arabian sea. Change must be democratic.

Fighter

if we are not getting Apaches of 1 billion this will be useless package even if we get cobras which is old technology

Back
Top Bottom