What's new

US promised India help if China attacked during 1971 Indo-Pak war

This is bull$hit claim..infact it was Nixon administration was encouraging China to intervene in 1971 war..But Indio-Soviet treaty of 1971 made sure neither Americans or Chinese will intervene.

Wait from what I had learned in my History class stated that US was supportive of Pakistan, so why would be go up against China which was and is a friend of Pakistan.

no link?

any way it was USSR which helped us by sending nuke subs and deploying 44 divisions on Sino soviet border

The current US-India relations are on a roll, but the 7th fleet cruising to Bay of Bengal to fight IA in Dec 1971 is a chapter that is not forgotten in India. So US intentions are always taken with a pinch of salt in India. I believe, this article is nothing but a covert attempt by US to smooth out that incident that was a foreign policy blunder on their part.

there is no way china will get involved in a war of pakistan. if it was true- we would have seen atleast in one instance that china got involved. be it India or US, china is nowhere to be seen.

therefore - if we are at war with pakistan - we will never need anyone else's help against china because china will never come for pakistan.

pakistan should be thankful to US as they sent the submarine in bay of Bangal. at least they tried to help pakistan. but it seems - in pakistan- lip service is more appreciated than real actions.

India did not need help from the US as the Soviets were getting ready to nuke the Chinese back to the stone age. China was least concerned about what was happening in Pakistan because a beast much much much larger and scarier than India was massing up 450k troops near China's border. China's intelligence was convinced that the Soviets were going to attack and any war against India would have given the Soviets a perfect excuse to launch a justified invasion.

Didn't the Americans almost offer help to China when the Soviets threatened them? And then again as the article states would help India in case of trouble?

Weird.

there is no way china will get involved in a war of pakistan. if it was true- we would have seen atleast in one instance that china got involved. be it India or US, china is nowhere to be seen.

therefore - if we are at war with pakistan - we will never need anyone else's help against china because china will never come for pakistan.

pakistan should be thankful to US as they sent the submarine in bay of Bangal. at least they tried to help pakistan. but it seems - in pakistan- lip service is more appreciated than real actions.

The reason why China couldn't militarily do anything is because the conditions in the Himalayas at the time were unfavorable for military operations.

On the other hand, the winter season was very favorable for operations in East Bengal. The Indian planners certainly did their homework back then.

America was like a sad big brat who's candy was snatched away by some other little kid.

For those asking for a source:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ng-1971-indo-pak-war/articleshow/11100816.cms

Indeed, very interesting article. My fascination with America never ceased to amaze me.

Didn't the Americans almost offer help to China when the Soviets threatened them? And then again as the article states would help India in case of trouble?

Weird.

The reason why China couldn't militarily do anything is because the conditions in the Himalayas at the time were unfavorable for military operations.

On the other hand, the winter season was very favorable for operations in East Bengal. The Indian planners certainly did their homework back then.

America was like a sad big brat who's candy was snatched away by some other little kid.

For those asking for a source:
US promised India help if China attacked during 1971 Indo-Pak war - The Economic Times

Indeed, very interesting article. My fascination with America never ceased to amaze me.

Actually,
China was soviet lapdog in 1950s-60
The China switched sides and become american lapdog in 1970s-80s with the help of pakistan.
USA helped China to come out of isolation and helped its economy.
Actually pakistan has done much more for China, then China doing anything for pakistan despite being much larger country.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

India wasn't very close to USSR during 1962 that they would have helped India.

You are very correct, infact after 1962 debacle, india started closing up more and more with soviets for purchase of arms.

this thread is total bs everyone knows us sended cbg in indian ocean to warned india if it attacked west pakistan and inresponse soviet sended nuke subs. to counter that. before 1971 war we had signed treaty of friendship with ussr so we didnt needed usa.

Actually,
China was soviet lapdog in 1950s-60
The China switched sides and become american lapdog in 1970s-80s with the help of pakistan.
USA helped China to come out of isolation and helped its economy.
Actually pakistan has done much more for China, then China doing anything for pakistan despite being much larger country.
they did much for pakistan which no one else can do for pakistan.chinese security council seat is like pakistan seat.whatever we need or china needs we give each other and in case of a war u will see it will be one country against any power

USA is just another asset for India. We will milk this cow to the death. But we have learned our lesson by example of Pakistan. We will never be USA's side kick. Our politicos are really corrupt but when it comes to international relations they are very good. A credit must be given to to them.

they did much for pakistan which no one else can do for pakistan.chinese security council seat is like pakistan seat.whatever we need or china needs we give each other and in case of a war u will see it will be one country against any power

I hope you are right.

This will definitely deter americans if they want to attack Pak.
But again i will say, if pakistan had not helped China in 1970s, China would not have been same country today.
So china owes more to pak, then pak to china.

right. but i was talking about all the occasions when pakistan was at war. china never got involved directly. they may have given the material support but never have or never will get involve in pakistan's war. therefore - if we are at war with pakistan - we don't have to worry about china, so India will never need anyone against china. hence its a bs article.

heck- US has killed thousands of pakistanis. where was china?

pakistan lost half of its territory. where was china?

pakistan ran away from Kargil - where was china?

US atleast tried to help pakistan. they give lot of money every year. pakistan should be thankful to US instead of betraying them and supporting terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom