What's new

US presses Pakistan to allow transit facility to Indian goods for Afghanist

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
US presses Pakistan to allow transit facility to Indian goods for Afghanistan

Islamabad—Washington is influencing Pakistan authorities to extend transit facility to India through Wahga border for export of goods to Afghanistan after deciding in principle to give India a big role in the war torn country after the US troops’ pullout.

The sources in the commerce ministry confided to Pakistan Observer saying that US is the sole driving force behind prompting Pakistan to extend the MFN status to India. Though authorities in Pakistan have approved in principle giving MFN status to India, but later on cabinet failed to get it materialized just because of the pressure from the establishment and other political and religious forces in the country.

Now the USAID officials in their meetings with the authorities at commerce ministry are exerting pressure to honour the long standing demand of India seeking transit of its goods to Afghanistan . The top political leadership of the country is also inclined to extend the transit facility, but the authorities in commerce ministry are resisting the pressure.

Afghanistan is the captive market of Pakistan and exports to Afghanistan are hovering around staggering $ 2 billion and in case India is provided the access to market of war affected country, then Pakistan ’s exports would instantly tumble to $ 1 billion. More over India would be in position to grab the market of Central Asian states. Right now Pakistan ’s goods are going to Central Asian States via Afghanistan.

The strengthening of Indian influence in Afghanistan would inflict huge loss not only to Pakistanis economic interests but would also endanger Pakistan’s western border. This will make Pakistan more vulnerable both in terms of losing the markets of Afghanistan and Central Asian States and exposing its western borders to constant threat.

Under SAFTA (South Asia Free Trade Agreement), Pakistan committed a big mistake during Musharraf regime by including Afghanistan in the SAARC family and under SAFTA, every country will be given the transit facility. “This is the main reason that US is exerting pressure to give India a transit facility for Afghanistan , which is the member of the SAARC and is also a land locked contracting state.”

US presses Pakistan to allow transit facility to Indian goods for Afghanistan

Obama administration is on drugs. Why not press Israel to allow transit facility to Iranian goods for Jordan.

It will be a black day in our history when Pakistan would allow a self inflicted encirclement by allowing India transit facilities to Afghanistan, Iran or Central Asian States. Even transit of goods through Munabao railway line to Karachi Port would be suicidal.

It will be a black day in our history when Pakistan would allow a self inflicted encirclement by allowing India transit facilities to Afghanistan, Iran or Central Asian States. Even transit of goods through Munabao railway line to Karachi Port would be suicidal.

Stop adding black days..calendar will run out of days soon....:azn:....

i think we should go through iran and should avoid trade with pakistan

Who the f*** is united states of satan to pressure us, i feel like killing these american warmongers and leaders.

No you shall not... Pakistan offer subsidiesed transportation and expedited services.

In case of Iran they might also offer same but the moment Indian cargo enter Afghanistan, Iranian services will seize.

Starting from Iran-Afghan border to all the way Kabul, your cargo will be an extra cost on American tax payers and I wonder how willing Americans are in given scenario, where their own cargo cost has increased six folds.

... calendar will run out of days soon....:azn:....

I am sure it will happen with India as a country sooner than your prayer.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

If aunty had balls, she would have been an uncle.

The day any gov allows indian product to get into afghanistan through Pakistani roads , people will start campaign to steal them ... this will teach lesson to indians and any gov involved in this ...

The day any gov allows indian product to get into afghanistan through Pakistani roads , people will start campaign to steal them ... this will teach lesson to indians and any gov involved in this ...

i hope this happens and indian govt shut down border and any kind of trade with pakistan and choose iran which is huge benifit

yes plz..this will tell the world Pakistan is not something to do business with.

I don't know the veracity of this information. If it is true then it is very logical for the US to wish that India gets transit facilities through Pakistan. The logic that India has given for continuing to support Iran despite the US/EU embargo is that we need Iran for access to Afghanistan and CAR since we do not have that access through Pakistan and therefore have to continue to support Iran. If Pakistan were to allow that access, then automatically, our rationale for continuing to support Iran in this crisis would fall through.

That, to my mind may be the reason for the US to be egging Pakistan on to give transit to India, if at all the news item is true. It is not out of any fondness for India that the US may be doing this but to complete the international isolation of Iran.

Back
Top Bottom