What's new

US president condemns Afghan killings over Quran burning

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
US president condemns Afghan killings over Quran burning

U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday called "outrageous" the killings in Afghanistan in response to the burning of a Quran by a radical Christian preacher in the United States.

"The desecration of any holy text, including the Quran, is an act of extreme intolerance and bigotry. However, to attack and kill innocent people in response is outrageous, and an affront to human decency and dignity," Obama said in a statement released by the White House.

The actions of Christian preacher Terry Jones, who supervised the burning of the Quran at a church in Florida on March 20, have outraged Muslims worldwide and triggered riots in Afghanistan where protesters stormed a UN compound in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif on Friday, killing seven UN foreign staff.

Earlier on Saturday, at least 10 people were killed and 83 wounded in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on a second day of riots over the desecration of Islam's holy book.

"No religion tolerates the slaughter and beheading of innocent people, and there is no justification for such a dishonorable and deplorable act," Obama said.

The U.S. president extended his condolences to the families and loved ones of UN employees killed by protesters in Mazar-i-Sharif.

"Now is a time to draw upon the common humanity that we share, and that was so exemplified by the UN workers who lost their lives trying to help the people of Afghanistan."

U.S. president condemns Afghan killings over Quran burning | World | RIA Novosti

Love the village idiots screwing things up for the rest of us. *applies to the idiot preacher and the idiots who decided to attack people who had nothing to do with the book burnings*

If you really wanna get back, just burn the bible, since it was a Christian doing the burnings and all.

This is coming from a Catholic, mind you. ;)

Love the village idiots screwing things up for the rest of us. *applies to the idiot preacher and the idiots who decided to attack people who had nothing to do with the book burnings*

If you really wanna get back, just burn the bible, since it was a Christian doing the burnings and all.

Nos sacro approbante concilio...

So that you would know that the bible and the Torah are still considered the books of God and are not allowed to be harmed in any way shape or form. The killing of the people was an incident that shouldn't have happened. But also what shouldn't have taken place was the lunatic who disrespected the Quran. Not only did he do that, but the white trash was given more then enough media time to make a point, and to be in the spotlight.

"They were killed when they were running out of the bunker," said Staffan de Mistura, the top U.N. envoy in Afghanistan, who recounted their harrowing deaths to reporters on Saturday evening. "One was pulled out alive because he pretended to be a Muslim."

De Mistura spoke in a somber tone as he described how three U.N. staff members and four Nepalese guards were killed Friday when the protesters stormed their compound in the normally peaceful city of Mazar-i-Sharif. He placed direct blame on those who burned a copy of the Muslim holy book in Gainesville, Florida, last month, stoking anti-foreign sentiment that already was on the rise after nearly a decade of war in Afghanistan.

President Hamid Karzai publicly condemned the March 20 Quran burning, leading some to blame him for triggering the protests. De Mistura, however, blamed the person who torched the holy book.

The pastor, the Rev. Terry Jones, had threatened to destroy a copy of Islam's holy book last year but initially backed down. On Friday he said Islam and its followers, not his church's burning of the Quran, were responsible for the killings.

The people responsible for this incident are those who helped spread the words on the pastor's acts. This world has too many stupids all around in every corner. One should be careful not to give any importance/attention to them, because some will certainly rise to react to them.

Nos sacro approbante concilio...

I don't speak Latin jack-off, try saying it in English if you want a reply. ;)

So that you would know that the bible and the Torah are still considered the books of God and are not allowed to be harmed in any way shape or form.

It should be good for me to tell you that I have differing views than most of my religion, one of which being that all holy books are largely inaccurate, so why would I care about a rule made only to prevent people from attacking said books, either verbally or physically? That being said, I don't go around burning them either, waste of time to be honest.

The killing of the people was an incident that shouldn't have happened. But also what shouldn't have taken place was the lunatic who disrespected the Quran. Not only did he do that, but the white trash was given more then enough media time to make a point, and to be in the spotlight.

Agreed. Both shouldn't have happened. It's one thing to hate terrorism and to 'one up' them, but it's another entirely to do something that would incite backlash and offend people who have nothing to do with terrorism. Fact of the matter is that as a 'holy man,' it should be his duty to preach about peace and understanding instead of destroying things others hold sacred. Again, the idiots on both sides made it all possible.

In US- Some body want popularity with cheap & condemnable evil actions. Psycho case.

In Afghanistan- Some body use protests for his evil plans.

Every religion teaches to respect others but i don't know which book this psycho case used to read.

The people responsible for this incident are those who helped spread the words on the pastor's acts. This world has too many stupids all around in every corner. One should be careful not to give any importance/attention to them, because some will certainly rise to react to them.

Yes, it was better if US government sent this ill minded person to rehabilitation center for psycho diagnose & treatment then surely this did not happen.

Back
Top Bottom