What's new

US Poised to Attack Extremists in FATA

They aren't thinking of attacking are they???

That would be a declared war against the state of Pakistan if what you quoted above is true. I dont know about the official reaction that Pakistan will respond with however one thing is for sure that the US and the GOP will loose support of those factions as well that for now are on the side of GOP.

Here is another update over the situation:

Taliban warn stern response against Pak border violation

Updated at: 1605 PST, Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Taliban warn stern response against Pak border violation PESHAWAR: Tahreek-i-Taliban in Mohmand Agency warned that tribal would strongly retaliate any border violation if coalition forces undertake it.

Meanwhile, US drones making continuous flights in Nahqi Kandao, Lakro and other areas of Mohamand Agency creating panic in these areas.

http://www.geo.tv/7-15-2008/20937.htm

^^^gents - its very simple - if we dont do the JOB, then they will do it for us. very simple message has been conveyed by Adm Mullen during his un-announced visit. action will start soon, some r predicting by the end of this month.

^^^gents - its very simple - if we dont do the JOB, then they will do it for us. very simple message has been conveyed by Adm Mullen during his un-announced visit. action will start soon, some r predicting by the end of this month.

What exactly is the GoP response to all this?

What exactly is the GoP response to all this?

they have absolutely "no idea" what to do - this is my personal assessment. oh yeah! the so called PM has invited colation leaders to a mtg on 23rd July to discuss WoT.

Sir we are not their hired personal's that if the job is not done, they will fire us and hire some one else instead to do the job. Its our country, our area, our people and there are certain complexities involved which the US does not understand.

Sir we are not their hired personal's that if the job is not done, they will fire us and hire some one else instead to do the job. Its our country, our area, our people and there are certain complexities involved which the US does not understand.

my dear friend u r absolutely correct but i am sorry i dont consider the militants as our people.

Fatman,

They cannot do the job for us.

There are limits to what aerial bombing will accomplish, and the resulting collateral damage is pretty much guaranteed.

They cannot control Afghanistan with mere air power, what will they accomplish in FATA, except inflaming even more people against them?

If this goes through, it will be more like a recruitment advertisement for people from all over Pakistan to go and join the Taliban and other groups in fighting NATO/US.

But I have long lost any hope of the US leadership being capable of understanding cultural dynamics and working long term to address issues - the "quickie culture" of the US seems to be manifested in its military campaigns as well.

Over on another defense forum with Western military members, some with military connections are denying that any civilians were killed in the July 6 Nangarhar bombings, though the BBC ran a report by a journalist who went there and interviewed people. The GoA sent its own commission, that corroborated the civilians killed and their number.

Despite two sources confirming the civilian deaths, there is refusal to admit that civilians were killed - so either there is an arrogance over their capabilities, or the GoA and the BBC are lying to simply denigrate the US.

Expect these kinds of events in FATA as well, in case of an attack, perhaps even more so, since the US can spare few, if any, ground troops.

I do know that the PA better be ready for a backlash from the likes of the TTP in Pakistan.

Last edited:
America think its so simple.
If they do what it looks like they are doing, they will soon be beaten back, either by our Armed Forces or by the civilians.
This is a completely stupid thing to do, so stupid I can't really believe it yet.

I'm with the sentiment that miltants are most certainly not "our people" - on the other hand Agnostic makes a strong point, regardless of the merits, of which I see little, most Pakistanis will not accept foreign troops on Pakistani soil and it will be a gigantic mess, and the US is be even more isolated.

I'm not quite sure who is making US policy, but it seems to have degenerated into psyops or tactical instead of strtegic.

Stupid, pointless stuff from the Americans, which will be an embarassment and will lead to them being beaten back.
If something like this would happen, though, Pakistan may support Taliban against America in which case America could say that now we have to enter.
This is all confusing, have to see how things develop.

I'm with the sentiment that miltants are most certainly not "our people" - on the other hand Agnostic makes a strong point, regardless of the merits, of which I see little, most Pakistanis will not accept foreign troops on Pakistani soil and it will be a gigantic mess, and the US is be even more isolated.

I'm not quite sure who is making US policy, but it seems to have degenerated into psyops or tactical instead of strtegic.

Pakistan should not accept US troops on Pakistani soil. We are a sovereign nation, their ally, assisting them in their WoT and this is what they do.

Well, one possible, though remotely possible, positive outcome would be that the strikes are limited, and take out the TTP leadership - B Mehsud, Faqir Muhammed etc. and their training camps.

What is more likely though is that these attacks will actually be on pro-Pakistan Taliban leaders like Mullah Nazir, who have not challenged the GoP, and have in fact helped it maintain law and order.

I suspect that the targeting is going to be directed at Pakistani interests.

Wait and see I suppose.

Fatman,

They cannot do the job for us.

There are limits to what aerial bombing will accomplish, and the resulting collateral damage is pretty much guaranteed.

They cannot control Afghanistan with mere air power, what will they accomplish in FATA, except inflaming even more people against them?

If this goes through, it will be more like a recruitment advertisement for people from all over Pakistan to go and join the Taliban and other groups in fighting NATO/US.

But I have long lost any hope of the US leadership being capable of understanding cultural dynamics and working long term to address issues - the "quickie culture" of the US seems to be manifested in its military campaigns as well.

Over on another defense forum with Western military members, some with military connections are denying that any civilians were killed in the July 6 Nangarhar bombings, though the BBC ran a report by a journalist who went there and interviewed people. The GoA sent its own commission, that corroborated the civilians killed and their number.

Despite two sources confirming the civilian deaths, there is refusal to admit that civilians were killed - so either there is an arrogance over their capabilities, or the GoA and the BBC are lying to simply denigrate the US.

Expect these kinds of events in FATA as well, in case of an attack, perhaps even more so, since the US can spare few, if any, ground troops.

I do know that the PA better be ready for a backlash from the likes of the TTP in Pakistan.

AM,
pls dont get me wrong - i am not advocating for the US coming and doing the job - we have ourselves to blame for our policy towards the militants - start - stop - pause - start - peace - start - stop - negotiate - wait - i think you get my meaning. we need a coherent policy which will give us results and get the US, NATO and everyone off our backs and for once the world will say in unison - pakistan is a safe place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see what happens.
I know one thing: Hum hai Pakistani hum to jeetainge hum jeetainge:pakistan:
This looks like its turning very serious but I'm not seeing anything about this on the news right now.

Whatever US is doing is meant to secure public support and to cash funds from the Congress for the WoT.
Congress loves targetting militants and bombing raids, its doesn't matter if it serves tactical or strategic psyops.

Back
Top Bottom