What's new

US Poised to Attack Extremists in FATA

Gilani urges provision of technology to stem militancy

* PM says gadgets will help reduce cross-border infiltration by 80%
* Pakistan surrogate for no one, fighting to ‘save soul of homeland’​

WASHINGTON: Pakistan would hit targets on its side of the border with Afghanistan if the US provides intelligence and sophisticated technology to intercept cross-border communication between militants on both sides, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Tuesday.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Gilani reiterated Pakistan’s strong opposition to any unilateral anti-terrorism action on its soil and urged the US to enhance the country’s counter-terrorism capacity to stem militant activity along the Pak-Afghan border.

“We don’t have the sophisticated weapons – Predators or others – if Pakistan had the capacity and the information, we could hit [such targets] ourselves. Otherwise, it’s a violation and nobody [in Pakistan] will like it,” he said.

Gadgets: Specific requests, Gilani said, include devices to intercept and block radio transmissions between extremists in Afghanistan and Pakistan. With them, he added, 80 percent of cross-border infiltrations would be stopped. “It won’t cost much, but we don’t have the gadgets,” the premier said.

His government’s strategy for the border regions, Gilani said, includes talks with “non-militants ... who [lay] down their arms and [enter] the mainstream,” and addressing the “root cause” of extremism with economic aid.

“But [the option of use of] force is there,” he said. “When all these things don’t work, we have to [take] action.”

Surrogate: Pakistan is “no one’s surrogate” in the fight against extremists, Gilani said, adding, “We are fighting to save the soul of our homeland.”

Also on Tuesday, Gilani met US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates and discussed with him the security situation in Pakistan along its Afghan border.

The two leaders discussed challenges in the wake of terrorism and extremism in the Tribal Areas, and the steps required to be taken in this regard. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Neo, brother I have seen few people who are very honest and of pretty good behaviour but if even 50paisa get dropped from their pocket on the ground, they think it’s a very less money why bother to pick it from the ground. I think, Pakistan has to think one time that the nation wont really be insulted if US led forces conduct any type of certain level of military operations in certain areas of Pakistan, under the control and superiority of Pakistani military.

Sunny,

US led military operation in FATA will never be accepted nor approved by Pakistan even if its done under in cooperation with PA, we shall not attck our own people.
Though I'll support any cooperation between US and GoP in clesing of approximately 8000 foreign terrorists in FATA and NA and deportation of Afghanis, but again this should be done by PA only with US providing logistical support.

Pashtuns have great respect for guests and honor their code. A foreign souce dishonering codes will only lead to immidiate reaction, i.e. civil war.

Regarding these 8000 strong foreign militans force an Israeli kind of approach is required; quick reaction, abduction of single members and demolition of direct network of each and every cell.

Neo,

That is an odd statement that who will protect the US if Pakistan is no longer a friend.

Are you suggesting that Pakistan is the source of international terrorism?

The same terrorists are gnawing at the innards of Pakistan itself and the GoP are combating them.

No Sir, you missed the point.

We've provided sensitive intelligence gained by our ources, even blueprints of further attacks on US soil and saved their derrieres!
Another 9/11 kind of attack on Los Angeles using Asian Airlines was only prevented by intelligence provided by ISI.

Even today ISI is better learnt on AQ and Talibal affairs than any other intelligence on this planet. US could show little more grattitude for our help rather than attitude.

Its time they stop blaming us for their failures and join in hands to defeat terrorism which's become enemy nr 1 for both US and Pakistan.
Neo, the terrorists are enemy number 1 for Pakistan only as long as they are attacking Pakistan as well. As soon as they leave Pakistan alone and start attacking only India and Afghanistan, Pakistan will start supporting them again. That is the root of the problem. Pakistan has for decades used militants for its own political gains and it wishes to continue to use that.

Neo, the terrorists are enemy number 1 for Pakistan only as long as they are attacking Pakistan as well. As soon as they leave Pakistan alone and start attacking only India and Afghanistan, Pakistan will start supporting them again. That is the root of the problem. Pakistan has for decades used militants for its own political gains and it wishes to continue to use that.

same for India. India with support of Karzai and US is funding these terrorists against Pakistan.
Similarly India has reportedly hired criminals and terrorists in Indian Held Kashmir to carry out terrorist activities to blam it on Kashmiri fighters.

India also funded and trained LTTE terrorists.

No Sir, you missed the point.

We've provided sensitive intelligence gained by our ources, even blueprints of further attacks on US soil and saved their derrieres!
Another 9/11 kind of attack on Los Angeles using Asian Airlines was only prevented by intelligence provided by ISI.

Even today ISI is better learnt on AQ and Talibal affairs than any other intelligence on this planet. US could show little more grattitude for our help rather than attitude.

Neo,

I don't deny that if anyone knows the Taliban, it has to be the ISI.

Taliban are successors to the Mujahideens, which were the brainchild of the ISI.

It is an obvious corollary that an intelligence agency does not give up its contacts. It is their job to keep the conduits of info open. Info is not a one way street. It is give and take!

The US is well aware of the same. However, when the balance weighs heavily on any side, then alarm bells ring.

same for India. India with support of Karzai and US is funding these terrorists against Pakistan.
Similarly India has reportedly hired criminals and terrorists in Indian Held Kashmir to carry out terrorist activities to blam it on Kashmiri fighters.

As usual you are very ill informed and drivel along day dreams.

You make bland statements without any links or facts to prove.

Of course, there are good reasons to believe that the LTTE was trained by India and it maybe true too! Give a link to ensure your credibility or some inference to prove so! What is your proof that the US is supporting the terrorists? They have supplied proof that the ISI organised the Embassy blast in Kabul with radio intercepts!

You adopt the Punjabi last word - Main dasiya! Your dasiya-ing is not etched in stone, or is it?

And knowing how journalists operate, one does not believe one word that they write to keep their tables overflowing with food.

If criminal elements are being used in Kashmir to blame Pakistan, do give a link!

As usual you are very ill informed and drivel along day dreams.

You make bland statements without any links or facts to prove.

Of course, there are good reasons to believe that the LTTE was trained by India and it maybe true too! Give a link to ensure your credibility or some inference to prove so! What is your proof that the US is supporting the terrorists? They have supplied proof that the ISI organised the Embassy blast in Kabul with radio intercepts!

You adopt the Punjabi last word - Main dasiya! Your dasiya-ing is not etched in stone, or is it?

And knowing how journalists operate, one does not believe one word that they write to keep their tables overflowing with food.

If criminal elements are being used in Kashmir to blame Pakistan, do give a link!

Ahhh Brigadier (Retierd) Sir you are back as usual with personal attacks :) but never mind i can understand.

Now as far as your US proofs :P where are these proofs ???

or its like India always provide such proofs

Neo,

I don't deny that if anyone knows the Taliban, it has to be the ISI.

Taliban are successors to the Mujahideens, which were the brainchild of the ISI.

It is an obvious corollary that an intelligence agency does not give up its contacts. It is their job to keep the conduits of info open. Info is not a one way street. It is give and take!

The US is well aware of the same. However, when the balance weighs heavily on any side, then alarm bells ring.

And as usual you are giving one side of the picture sir. It would be highly moral on your part to also tell your readers that ISI was not alone rather it was CIA who funded and created Mujahideen .

Ahhh Brigadier (Retierd) Sir you are back as usual with personal attacks :) but never mind i can understand.

Now as far as your US proofs :P where are these proofs ???

or its like India always provide such proofs

No personal attacks by me.

Just a aide mémoire to keep to facts and not fantasies!

And as usual you are giving one side of the picture sir. It would be highly moral on your part to also tell your readers that ISI was not alone rather it was CIA who funded and created Mujahideen .

The US are not foolish.

They make others do the dirty work.

Read the Kissinger Doctrine!

As a journalist you surprise me that Paksitan media does no research and instead lets the heart speak!

Does make Pakistani journalism not worthy of notice!

The US are not foolish.

They make others do the dirty work.

Read the Kissinger Doctrine!

As a journalist you surprise me that Paksitan media does no research and instead lets the heart speak!

Does make Pakistani journalism not worthy of notice!
well to make the others do dirty work or not the question is the funds were provided by CIA/US to train these Mujahideen.

Do you deny that ???

and BTW as a retiered army officer of Indian army you surprises me that you guys speak your heart without giving the complete picture of events

Please, you as a journalist are woefully short of actual facts. The US is funding terrorists in Afghanistan to attack Pakistan...thats a new one.

And India might or might not be carrying out these attacks, but the point is, India has been subject to terrorism for a very very long time, long before US became involved.

Right...and where is this reported? You said reportedly.

Might have or might not have. Do you have proof?
Assuming that you do, it is declared that LTTE is a banned organization in India. They assassinated one of India's Prime Ministers and India provides military gear to the Sri Lankan military. And it is the Indian Navy that stops LTTE from getting all their gear, if we withdraw, LTTE would overrun the Lankan military.

You give your views as facts, but you never bother checking them up.

well to make the others do dirty work or not the question is the funds were provided by CIA/US to train these Mujahideen.

Do you deny that ???

and BTW as a retiered army officer of Indian army you surprises me that you guys speak your heart without giving the complete picture of events

Look Jana, let me give an allegory and nothing personal.

I love cooking but I hate cleaning the utensils!

And I can afford someone who can do it for me!

The day I can't, I will have to do it myself!

Back
Top Bottom