What's new

US plans to sell M777 howitzers to India; deal to involve 'Make in India' component

The M777 needs a towing vehicle. The particular towing vehicle I referred to can also load, carry and unload the whle gun . You can probably ma better road speed with the portee than with a traditional towing combination. Airmobility is not lost (as opposed to a 155m fixed onto a truck chassis).
I was opposing the idea of a M777 MGS sir, not the Portee itself- that looks like a rather attractive offering IMO, but I know for a fact that TATA has already been earmarked to be the towing tractor maker of all future towed arty inductions (indlucing the Dhanush).

I was opposing the idea of a M777 MGS sir, not the Portee itself- that looks like a rather attractive offering IMO, but I know for a fact that TATA has already been earmarked to be the towing tractor maker of all future towed arty inductions (indlucing the Dhanush).
The comment wasn't specifically directed at you, rather intented as a general explanation of the advantage of a portee over a fixed truck mounted 155mm which, if airmobility is less of an issue, gives the advantage of longer barrel and gun range at the cost of liftability by helicopter (Mi-26 excepted).

Back
Top Bottom