What's new

US-Pak negotiations on nuclear cooperation?

I personally feel we won't be getting it, may be Americans are just bluffing, I hope we get it, Lets not get carried away, lets wait & see :pakistan:

N-plants to figure in talks, says Patterson

WASHINGTON: Pakistan’s request for nuclear power plants may come up for discussion during the US-Pakistan strategic dialogue, which begins in Washington on March 24.

The indications came from two senior US officials, ambassadors Richard Holbrooke and Anne W. Patterson.

Ambassador Patterson, the US envoy in Islamabad, told a Los Angeles-based Pakistani newspaper: “We are beginning to have a discussion with the Pakistan government” on the country’s desire to tap nuclear energy. “We are going to have working level talks” on the issue in Washington this month.

She told the Pakistan Link newspaper that earlier America’s “non-proliferation concerns were quite severe” but attitudes in Washington were changing. “I think we are beginning to pass those and this is a scenario that we are going to explore,” she added.

Mr Holbrooke, the US special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, was less categorical but what he said at a briefing on Friday on the US-Pakistan strategic talks conveyed a similar message.

“While addressing Pakistan’s energy needs, are you considering helping them establish nuclear power plants to meet their energy needs?” he was asked.

A transcript released by the State Department on Saturday quoted Mr Holbrooke as saying: “We have a very broad and complex agenda in these talks, and this is the first strategic dialogue ever at this level, and the first of this administration. And we’re going to listen carefully to whatever the Pakistanis say.”

The response marks the first time a US official did not reject the Pakistani request outright. On all previous occasions, US officials insisted that their agreement for supplying nuclear power plants to India was exclusive to New Delhi and could not be offered to another country.

The Washington Post reported earlier this month that the Obama administration was taking several steps to address Pakistani security concerns. “One is to implicitly accept Pakistan’s status as a declared nuclear weapons state and thereby counter conspiracy theories that the United States is secretly plotting to seize Pakistani nukes,” the report said.

Last month, a US scholar wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal backing Pakistan’s demand that the US should negotiate a nuclear deal with Pakistan, as it did with India.

“More so than conventional weapons or large sums of cash, a conditions-based civilian nuclear deal may be able to diminish Pakistani fears of US intentions while allowing Washington to leverage these gains for greater Pakistani cooperation on nuclear proliferation and terrorism,” wrote C. Christine Fair, an assistant professor at Georgetown University.

In her interview to the Link, Ambassador Patterson said the US was acutely conscious of the precarious energy situation in Pakistan, of people “sweating in 120 degree” without electricity, and would play its due role in raising installed generating capacity and making up for the present shortfall. US companies will be persuaded to invest in the power sector in Pakistan.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...gure-in-talks%2C-says-patterson-130-hh-04

Pak N-bid may hit NSG hurdle

Washington: Pakistan’s bid to forge a civilian nuclear deal with the United States may get thwarted by the 44-member Nuclear Suppliers Group, which made an exception for India but might find Pakistan more unpalatable. The US-India deal itself remains to be fully implemented more than five years after it was first conceived.
Some experts have also questioned whether Pakistan has the capacity to buy or absorb any nuclear power reactor given that the country is broke.
However, even signaling a shift in United States’ policy is something that might mollify Pakistan for now. Georgetown University academic Christine Fair was the first to propose the idea that Pakistan deserves its own nuclear deal.
‘‘A conditions-based civilian nuclear deal may be able to diminish Pakistani fears of American intentions while allowing Washington to leverage these gains for greater Pakistani cooperation on nuclear proliferation and terrorism,” the United States-based academic had argued in an article earlier this year.

Article Window

Pak N-bid may hit NSG hurdle

Washington: Pakistan’s bid to forge a civilian nuclear deal with the United States may get thwarted by the 44-member Nuclear Suppliers Group, which made an exception for India but might find Pakistan more unpalatable. The US-India deal itself remains to be fully implemented more than five years after it was first conceived.
Some experts have also questioned whether Pakistan has the capacity to buy or absorb any nuclear power reactor given that the country is broke.
However, even signaling a shift in United States’ policy is something that might mollify Pakistan for now. Georgetown University academic Christine Fair was the first to propose the idea that Pakistan deserves its own nuclear deal.
‘‘A conditions-based civilian nuclear deal may be able to diminish Pakistani fears of American intentions while allowing Washington to leverage these gains for greater Pakistani cooperation on nuclear proliferation and terrorism,” the United States-based academic had argued in an article earlier this year.

Article Window

no the deal between india and u.s is still not operationalized as india had yed not passed nuclear liabilty bill which act as the biggest hurdle

in pakistan's case also i dont think u will have a tough time with nsg if u.s.a is ready for it,but the hurdle for u also will the nuclear liability bill

no the deal between india and u.s is still not operationalized as india had yed not passed nuclear liabilty bill which act as the biggest hurdle

in pakistan's case also i dont think u will have a tough time with nsg if u.s.a is ready for it,but the hurdle for u also will the nuclear liability bill

Nuclear liability will not be a hurdle in Pakistan. even here its a bluff hurdle to stall political process. Though I leave the discussion to other thread.

I strongly believe that this is an effort by SAM to torpedo Iran Gas Pipeline.

For economics factor, if US is costly, China can go ahead and do Nuclear trade legally with Pakistan. That is what will be a good thing for Pakistan. US deal may take a long time to operationalize and also not to mention the economic/sanctions factor behind these US reactors and fuel.

All Indian newspapers publishing this news but its not on any Pakistani newspaper. Have you guys start trusting TOI or Indian express? ;)

Anyways if it is true and deal indeed goes through then it's good for Pakistan..

:) Our newspapers published more authentic news two days back there was news in the Dawn quoting Peterson as saying that "Nuke deal" will come under discussion.

We are careful not to be excited much about till the time some real official word comes from American officials.

Nuclear liability will not be a hurdle in Pakistan. even here its a bluff hurdle to stall political process. Though I leave the discussion to other thread.

I strongly believe that this is an effort by SAM to torpedo Iran Gas Pipeline.

For economics factor, if US is costly, China can go ahead and do Nuclear trade legally with Pakistan. That is what will be a good thing for Pakistan. US deal may take a long time to operationalize and also not to mention the economic/sanctions factor behind these US reactors and fuel.

:tup::tup::tup: well said and rightly said.

There will be 2 big hurdles to this deal IMO:

1. Getting this deal approved in the US congress.
2. Getting the NSG to play along

What is going to be Indias official stance if Pakistan is able to convince the US for a deal similar to that of India, Pakistan itself did not objected Indias deal, will India show the same courtesy or will we hear the usual whining?
As for the deal the reason we are even hearing such news is because of the recent IP gas pipe line inked between Pakistan and Iran otherwise deal aside US wasnt even willing to bring it in talk dismissing even the romote possibility.

Also lets say we do get successful in obtaining a similar deal, what implications will it have on IP project? My take is that the US would ask Pakistan to completely abdomen the project and well we will consider for similar deal as that of India.

^^^^ For one, consider MMRCA to be in the European pockets....

The fact of the matter is that the NSG will never approve of it. Its almost impossible and it will take years for any movement to happen.

What is going to be Indias official stance if Pakistan is able to convince the US for a deal similar to that of India, Pakistan itself did not objected Indias deal, will India show the same courtesy or will we hear the usual whining?
As for the deal the reason we are even hearing such news is because of the recent IP gas pipe line inked between Pakistan and Iran otherwise deal aside US wasnt even willing to bring it in talk dismissing even the romote possibility.

Also lets say we do get successful in obtaining a similar deal, what implications will it have on IP project? My take is that the US would ask Pakistan to completely abdomen the project and well we will consider for similar deal as that of India.

well sir India and Pakistan are not equal don't compare each other

there is no comparison

It is loud thinking, will not materialize.

The cost is a issue but not effct much as they want uranium, scrapping of sanctions and technologies not nuke plants.

The majority of business will goes to china and may be some little to France.

Also, to get it pak must have understanding with India.

If India, Russia oppose it, it will never get implemented.

Russia will oppose as it will not get its pie and because of its friend India.

India don't wanna give more nuke that can be fall into wrong hands or danger to world peace.

There is Iran and Israel angle also.

well sir India and Pakistan are not equal don't compare each other

there is no comparison

I am not compairing anything, i just said what if the deal happens, what will be Indias stance and also how will it effect the IP gas pipe line project.

Back
Top Bottom