What's new

US okays sale of 8 Global Response Cutters to Pakistan

I'm not sure i'd consider them "warships". They would be used in the US for coastal patrol - rescuing drunken civilians who've gotten in trouble, interdicting smugglers, various police-type duties. We would not expect them to get into a stand up fight with, say, the Cuban Navy. We have a Navy for that.

So, if the intention is to use them for combat with India, you could probably do better with something else. Presumably, Pakistan has need for coastal patrol just like every other country. Think of it as buying ocean-going police cars. Not really useful for war, but very useful for everyday enforcement of fishing laws, smuggling laws, immigration and import/export laws, etc. Prosaic, but necessary.

The mfg has a website for the boat: Global Response Cutter | GRC 43 | Response, Rescue & Interdiction Vessel
There is video and a few interior shots.

One more note: The USCG is not using this vessel at this time. USCG is in a muddle about what they want to buy next. They've tried extending the life of existing boats (failure - hull cracks as a result ended the service life of 8 boats). Currently, USCG is buying Sentinel-class cutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but the contract is basically a one-at-a-time deal. They are equipped with 1 x 25mm auto-cannon and 4 .50cal machine guns. Presumably the GRC43 could support similar armament. Again, very good for police work, not up to full-on combat.

Last edited:
Proposed_modification_to_the_Damen_Stan_patrol_vessel_for_the_USCG.jpg

Would make great addition to Pakistan Navy , the guns on boat will certainly help stop narcotics and anyone attempting to come close to frigates during the off hours

Not too shabby from inside

large_2859.jpg

I'm not sure i'd consider them "warships". They would be used in the US for coastal patrol - rescuing drunken civilians who've gotten in trouble, interdicting smugglers, various police-type duties. We would not expect them to get into a stand up fight with, say, the Cuban Navy. We have a Navy for that.

So, if the intention is to use them for combat with India, you could probably do better with something else. Presumably, Pakistan has need for coastal patrol just like every other country. Think of it as buying ocean-going police cars. Not really useful for war, but very useful for everyday enforcement of fishing laws, smuggling laws, immigration and import/export laws, etc. Prosaic, but necessary.

The mfg has a website for the boat: Global Response Cutter | GRC 43 | Response, Rescue & Interdiction Vessel
There is video and a few interior shots.

One more note: The USCG is not using this vessel at this time. USCG is in a muddle about what they want to buy next. They've tried extending the life of existing boats (failure - hull cracks as a result ended the service life of 8 boats). Currently, USCG is buying Sentinel-class cutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but the contract is basically a one-at-a-time deal. They are equipped with 1 x 25mm auto-cannon and 4 .50cal machine guns. Presumably the GRC43 could support similar armament. Again, very good for police work, not up to full-on combat.

These won't be used by the Navy

What is special about the body of these ships , as the article stated these are made from some composite material ?
I don't understand what advantage or disadvantage it has between the body of the Cutter vs Frigates obviously I imagine the frigate body is more robust as its a war ship but just thought would ask

The ships look great for minor patrol duties
radar and magnetic signatures
maintenance requiements
for example

Frigates aren;t all that robust anymore (thin high tensile steel). Some OPVs have lower graded and hence cheaper steel (which happens to give better protection e.g. against shell splinters and bullets)

coastal surveillence by PN.

I think the appropriate body for these boats would be either the coast guard or MSA.....and they should request separate funds from the federation for it....why should Navy have the task?

I think the appropriate body for these boats would be either the coast guard or MSA.....and they should request separate funds from the federation for it....why should Navy have the task?
I assumed Pakistan had an integrated Navy/Coast Guard. If not, this is a very good question. For "gunboat" type applications, they waste a lot of space and weight on the interceptor wet well.

Why can't we just get 30 Fast Attack boats intead of global cutters .. $350 Million we can build 30 ships locally for our needs in local shipyard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom