What's new

US objects to China-Pakistan nuclear deal

India closely watching NSG meet on China-Pakistan n-deal
2010-06-15 21:00:00

India will be closely watching the meeting of the Nuclear Suppliers Group next week where the China-Pakistan nuclear deal may come up for consideration even as Washington reminded Beijing of its non-nuclear proliferation obligations.

While New Delhi is confident that the China-Pakistan nuclear deal will not pass muster at the 45-nation NSG due to Islamabad's dubious proliferation record, there are apprehensions that Beijing will try to hard-sell it by using its growing global clout.

'We are not worried. Everyone knows about Pakistan's A.Q. Khan network's proliferation activities,' reliable sources said here.

'But it will be interesting to see what arguments are used to justify the deal,' the sources added.

China has confirmed that Chinese and Pakistani officials have signed an agreement to finance the construction of two nuclear reactors to be built by the China National Nuclear Corporation at the Chashma site in Pakistan. China earlier built two reactors for Pakistan before it joined the NSG in 2004.

The NSG forbids transfer of nuclear materials to the countries who have not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

The NSG, however, made one-time exception for India in September 2008 by clearing the India-US nuclear deal in view of New Delhi's flawless non-proliferation record.

However, the US, a member of the NSG, appears set to object to a China-Pakistan civilian nuclear deal at the NSG's meeting in New Zealand next week.

State Department spokesman Gordon DuGuid said in Washington that the US government 'has reiterated to the Chinese government that the United States expects Beijing to cooperate with Pakistan in ways consistent with Chinese nonproliferation obligation'.

Pakistan has been consistently pressing the US to award it an India-like nuclear deal, but Washington has remained indifferent to these appeals. However, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hinted at the Pakistan-US strategic dialogue recently that Washington may consider a discussion on the subject.

China has been arguing that the deal was necessary to restore the nuclear balance in South Asia.

The deal will be without NSG concurrence and despite the many misgivings about Pakistan's track record, its linkages to terror and radical ideologies, C. Uday Bhaskar, director of think-tank National Maritime Foundation (NMF), told a conference here Monday.

India closely watching NSG meet on China-Pakistan n-deal

As to whether the US can stop this deal, let's just wait and see. My feeling is that they will be utterly powerless to do anything at all to stop this transaction from moving forward.

Pakistan’s plans for a large Chinese 1000 MW reactor KANUPP-2 was scaled down and replaced by several smaller reactors when development of the CNP-1000 design was deferred indefinitely by China in 2007.

Do you know why?

Plant Province Type Net capacity Operation Manufacturer
(each)
Qinshan 1 Zhejiang PWR 288 MW 1991 P.R.C
Daya Bay Guangdong PWR 944 MW 1994 France,
1 and 2 (M310) Framatome
Qinshan Zhejiang PWR 610 MW 2002, 2004 P.R.C
2 and 3 (CNP600)
Lingao Guangdong PWR 938 MW 2002, 2003 France,
1 and 2 (CPR1000) Framatome
Qinshan Zhejiang PHWR 650 MW 2002, 2003 Canada,
4 and 5 (CANDU6) AECL
Tianwan Jiangsu PWR 1,000 MW 2007 Russia,
1 and 2 (VVER1000) Atomstroyexport
Total: 11 8,572 MW

A majority of Chinese reactor designs over 300 MW are designs from the Westinghouse,Areva or Atomstroyexport. The CNP-1000 reactor that China planned to build but deferred without explanation near Karachi contains a mix of French and American technology.

Finally, do you realize that there are a handful of nations that export Uranium of which Australia is the largest supplier. Australia choose to ignore the NSG exception for India - do you think Pakistan stands a better chance?

It is naive to think that we are "utterly powerless" and have no leverage over China or the NSG.

US has utterly failed to stop Pakistan going nuclear because we faced Indian nuclear blackmail and did what needed to be done. Now we have nuclear installations that produce weapons grade plutonium and enriched uranium. These new nuclear reactors are for civillian electricity use and will be under IAEC supervision. It is about time that both Pakistan and NSG to come to an understanding. The NSG will have to compromise and accept this nuclear deal.

What is the benefit in denying nuclear power generation to a country with nuclear weapons anyway?

Exactly !

Last edited:
It is naive to think that we are "utterly powerless" and have no leverage over China or the NSG.

Please don't get defensive.

Time will tell. If the US - which has now publicly announced its opposition to this deal - is able to stop the transaction, then we can revisit this discussion.

Please don't get defensive.

Time will tell. If the US - which has now publicly announced its opposition to this deal - is able to stop the transaction, then we can revisit this discussion.

Well..I believe it is being used to garner some concession from Pakistan and/or China. I don't think we have any serious objections to China/Pakistan nuclear co-operation.

Wait 'n watch..

Well..I believe it is being used to garner some concession from Pakistan and/or China. I don't think we have any serious objections to China/Pakistan nuclear co-operation.

Wait 'n watch..

Pakistan has serious objections to US and Indian nuclear co-operation too but might is right. :cry:

'We are not worried. Everyone knows about Pakistan's A.Q. Khan network's proliferation activities,' reliable sources said here.

'But it will be interesting to see what arguments are used to justify the deal,' the sources added.

very important lines, we should discuss on this.

Wait 'n watch..

Exactly ! There will be some give and take. In the final analysis it is a done deal.

Bringing up Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan Network is like flogging a dead horse. It does not matter anymore except for the Indians.

Bringing up a criminal record is also a dead horse , it does not matter to anyone except the victims. :disagree:

A.Q Khan was involved in Nuclear tracking for the highest bidder and his punishment house arrest in Pakistan. Which is more shielding the national shame then anything else.

one does no show up in courtroom and plead his case saying if you forget about my crime , i am a really nice person. :lol:

Bringing up a criminal record is also a dead horse , it does not matter to anyone except the victims.

Well India got the ball rolling by testing Nuclear weapons in 1974 an opening the nuclear pandora box. Pakistan got sucked in and we did what needed to be done to gain nuclear parity.

@ TechLahore

Indeed, Pakistan needs these reactors, no doubt. Read my post#63.

I think Safety comes first before building any reactors or getting hands on nuclear deal. if a place not safe, than what's the benefit of building reactor there.

Have we gotten to the point where we have to discuss the same point over and over again?
How many incidents have you heard regarding nuclear reactors?
None, isn't it?
Why are we so much obsessed with each other that the facts are replaced by emotions and religious sentiment? I read history from a neutral point of view but I could not find any reason that could back your opinion i.e. 'if a place is not safe' I know that you mentioned post number sixty three but clearly, the idea you presented afterwards was flawed. If Israel can have reactors when according to them, Hamas is firing rockets into Israel's territory than Pakistan is very safe as it has a bigger land mass than Israel. So, terrorists cannot reach anywhere close to the nuclear sites. If you want to create hype than sure go ahead but back your opinion by presenting facts.
Your opinion is not a fact.

What would you have said if the US objected to a reactor deal between India and Russia? (hypothetically and assume the year is 2002)

The US is acting like a hypocrite and the Obama administration is buckling down in front of the pressure by old conservative hawks and yes, the Indian pressure to maintain it's status as the main nuclear beneficiary in the region.

Well its simple India is making reactors from 1965 so US was sane enough not to object :smitten:

What would you have said if the US objected to a reactor deal between India and Russia? (hypothetically and assume the year is 2002)

The US is acting like a hypocrite and the Obama administration is buckling down in front of the pressure by old conservative hawks and yes, the Indian pressure to maintain it's status as the main nuclear beneficiary in the region.

SParkling sir, everyone salutes the rising sun. India is a superpower in waiting. Such hypocracy is expected from the ones who take our sides for the sake of winning our favour.

The world is not fair. It bends over for the mighty while harasses the weaklings. My thought.

Well India got the ball rolling by testing Nuclear weapons in 1974 an opening the nuclear pandora box. Pakistan got sucked in and we did what needed to be done to gain nuclear parity.

For our point of view , China got the Ball rolling after 1964 , just two years after we received a crushing defeat.

And i am sure they feel the same about Russia and they America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way we were not the one's selling Missile and Nuclear technology.

Back
Top Bottom