What's new

US Navy can’t keep up with China’s PLA in shipbuilding, service chief says

The loaded tonnage is 130000 long tons (with aircraft and crew and fuel and so on) that's 150000 short ton per. 11 of those would have been around 1.8/1.9 ish millions tons.

On the other hand, did the entire PLAN reaching 1 millions tons yet? You have 3 Carriers (1 still outfitting) 3 LHD, 51 Destroyer and 49 Frigate. It's a long LONG way to reach 1 millions tonnage.
The data on the wiki is like this, can you give the data source of The loaded tonnage is 130000 long tons (with aircraft and crew and fuel and so on)?

USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
General characteristics
Class and type
Nimitz-class aircraft carrier
Displacement
100,020 long tons (112,020 short tons)[1][2]

The data on the wiki is like this, can you give the data source of The loaded tonnage is 130000 long tons (with aircraft and crew and fuel and so on)?

USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
General characteristics
Class and type
Displacement
That's ships weight only (wiki will say it's fully loaded if it mean fully loaded)

You have 80 - 100 Aircraft, 5000 + people. you then have to put aviation fuel and munition, food onboard.

Each F/A-18 max loadout is 24 tons, F/A-18E is around 30 tons max take off. E-2D is around 30 tons, and each men is about 70-100kg, and you put in 30 days worth of aviation fuel, munition, it's not that hard to reach the extra 20,000 long tons....

That's ships weight only (wiki will say it's fully loaded if it mean fully loaded)

You have 80 - 100 Aircraft, 5000 + people. you then have to put aviation fuel and munition, food onboard.

Each F/A-18 max loadout is 24 tons, F/A-18E is around 30 tons max take off. E-2D is around 30 tons, and each men is about 70-100kg, and you put in 30 days worth of aviation fuel, munition, it's not that hard to reach the extra 20,000 long tons....
WOW, this is the first time I heard that aviation fuel is not included in the full load weight. It is an interesting statement. Can you give the source?

USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
General characteristics
Class and type
Displacement
Apparently Nimitz carries 3 million gallons of Jet Fuel

U.S. nuclear aircraft carriers, such as the Nimitz class carrier (Fig. 1), can have a jet fuel capacity of around three million gallons, and routinely carry 50+ fighter jets. [2] Compared to the 12 gallon or so tank found in an economy car, this is a fantastic amount of fuel. But clearly, an F-14 fighter jet is significantly thirstier than a Ford Focus; so in terms of aircraft and aircraft carriers, then, how much fuel is three millions gallons? To start off with, typical jet fuel (JP-5) has a density of about 0.8 kilograms per liter (kg/L), so our typical carrier can hold about [3]

And according to this conversion page, 3 millions gallons of jet fuel is around 95,000 tons

WOW, this is the first time I heard that aviation fuel is not included in the full load weight. It is an interesting statement. Can you give the source?
Sure, it carry 95,000 tons of jet fuel with 100,000 tons fully loaded, am I supposed to believe that 827 meters span ship only weight 5,000 tons??

Apparently Nimitz carries 3 million gallons of Jet Fuel

And according to this conversion page, 3 millions gallons of jet fuel is around 95,000 tons

Sure, it carry 95,000 tons of jet fuel with 100,000 tons fully loaded, am I supposed to believe that 827 meters span ship only weight 5,000 tons??
dude, are you crazy? 3 million gallons of Jet Fuel equivalent to
95,000 tons? ? ?1 gallon equals 0.031 tons???

dude, are you crazy? 3 million gallons of Jet Fuel equivalent to
95,000 tons? ? ?1 gallon equals 0.031 tons???
well, how heavy would be 3 million gallon then? I have shown where I have got the number from, if you think that is false, take it to them.

well, how heavy would be 3 million gallon then? I have shown where I have got the number from, if you think that is false, take it to them.
Dude, I don't know why you found such a stupid conversion tool. 2 simple examples, the F-16 has a total of 1300 gallons of fuel in its 3 external tanks. An F-22 has 2700 gallons of fuel.

Last edited:
Dude, you are simply incomprehensible. In the data source of the three million gallons you gave, it is clearly written how the weight is converted.

Jet Fuel Consumption and Range​

U.S. nuclear aircraft carriers, such as the Nimitz class carrier (Fig. 1), can have a jet fuel capacity of around three million gallons, and routinely carry 50+ fighter jets. [2] Compared to the 12 gallon or so tank found in an economy car, this is a fantastic amount of fuel. But clearly, an F-14 fighter jet is significantly thirstier than a Ford Focus; so in terms of aircraft and aircraft carriers, then, how much fuel is three millions gallons? To start off with, typical jet fuel (JP-5) has a density of about 0.8 kilograms per liter (kg/L), so our typical carrier can hold about [3]​

(3×106 gal) × (3.8 L/gal) × (0.8 kg/L) = 9.1×106 kg
of jet fuel. For a fighter jet, I will use the F-14A Tomcat, a carrier-capable aircraft. The Tomcat has a maximum fuel capacity of about 9000+2000 liters (internal + external fuel tanks), or about [4]​

11000 L × 0.8 kg/L = 8.8×103 kg,

Dude, you are simply incomprehensible. In the data source of the three million gallons you gave, it is clearly written how the weight is converted.

Jet Fuel Consumption and Range​

U.S. nuclear aircraft carriers, such as the Nimitz class carrier (Fig. 1), can have a jet fuel capacity of around three million gallons, and routinely carry 50+ fighter jets. [2] Compared to the 12 gallon or so tank found in an economy car, this is a fantastic amount of fuel. But clearly, an F-14 fighter jet is significantly thirstier than a Ford Focus; so in terms of aircraft and aircraft carriers, then, how much fuel is three millions gallons? To start off with, typical jet fuel (JP-5) has a density of about 0.8 kilograms per liter (kg/L), so our typical carrier can hold about [3]​

(3×106 gal) × (3.8 L/gal) × (0.8 kg/L) = 9.1×106 kg
of jet fuel. For a fighter jet, I will use the F-14A Tomcat, a carrier-capable aircraft. The Tomcat has a maximum fuel capacity of about 9000+2000 liters (internal + external fuel tanks), or about [4]​

11000 L × 0.8 kg/L = 8.8×103 kg,
Again, take it to the source I use.

Even with the same reference, that's still 9,100 tons of fuel. Again, if everything is loaded, you are talking about an Aircraft Carrier that have 80 aircraft, maximum can take 30 tons each, that's 2400 tons) 9100 tons fuel, 750-1000 tons crew, and roughly 10,000 tons munition (4,000 Mk84, 2000 Mk82, 4000 AIM-120,). That's mean the ships alone is around 78000 tons?

so you are saying a nimitz class is about 6 or 7 the size of a destroyer??

Nimitz size is 332.8m(L) x 76.8m (W) x 12m (D) = ~288,000 m^3
Arleigh Burke class is 154m(L) x 20(W) x 9.4(D) = 28,900 m^3

Volume v Volume does not make sense there.

Even with the same reference, that's still 9,100 tons of fuel. Again, if everything is loaded, you are talking about an Aircraft Carrier that have 80 aircraft, maximum can take 30 tons each, that's 2400 tons) 9100 tons fuel, 750-1000 tons crew, and roughly 10,000 tons munition (4,000 Mk84, 2000 Mk82, 4000 AIM-120,). That's mean the ships alone is around 78000 tons?

Dude, you said that you have naval personnel at home, you should ask them which part of the data should be used to calculate tonnage with the size of the aircraft carrier. The size of the aviation deck is much larger than the actual space of the hull below the deck

Dude, you said that you have naval personnel at home, you should ask them which part of the data should be used to calculate tonnage with the size of the aircraft carrier. The size of the aviation deck is much larger than the actual space of the hull below the deck
dude, do you have any idea what is inside an aircraft carrier?

It's big, but not 2 whole destroyers big........And those destroyers I counted are fully loaded too I use 9300 tons per destroyer

On the other hand, even if I go with Wikipedia, 110,000 per the real question is, DID CHINA HAVE THAT MUCH TONNAGE on their entire navy? No.

750-1000 tons crew?
The total number of sailors and aviation personnel in NIMITZ crew is 5,200.
Are you saying that their average weight is at least 144KG per person? ? ?

750-1000 tons crew?
The total number of sailors and aviation personnel in NIMITZ crew is 5,200.
Are you saying that their average weight is at least 144KG per person? ? ?
sure, I am sure everyone on that ship is serving their boat naked....

Just helmet, body armour (With SAPI plate), rifle, spare mag alone is 21.9kg, not including everything else. I am pretty sure Standard American men is between 80kg to 100kg, but they serve naked on their ship and don't bring anything onboard...I am pretty sure about that.

Geez man, your knowledge appalled me......

sure, I am sure everyone on that ship is serving their boat naked....

Just helmet, body armour (With SAPI plate), rifle, spare mag alone is 21.9kg, not including everything else. I am pretty sure Standard American men is between 80kg to 100kg, but they serve naked on their ship and don't bring anything onboard...I am pretty sure about that.

Geez man, your knowledge appalled me......
WOW, so they wear at least a 44KG load besides themselves? ? Dude, I think you should really ask those Navy people in your family. None of the sea workers would do this, which means that if they fall into the water, they will sink directly to the bottom of the sea. . .

WOW, so they wear at least a 44KG load besides themselves? ? Dude, I think you should really ask those Navy people in your family.

Dude, why I need to ask anyone when I myself was deployed overseas?

When you are deployed, they weight everyone and everything because you have to board a plane, like you do when you fly anywhere from an airport, they need to weight YOU and YOUR LUGGAGE.

I am 95kg and stuff I was carrying over is around 55KG. Including my helmet, body armour, 3 pair of change clothes, my rifle (empty), 3 pairs of Boots, NVG, Rope, my personal item, razor, 7 pairs of socks, computers, mobile phone, camera. And my rug is about 20KG of food, bedding and so on, that make 55KG, and bear in mind I was supplied every 7 days in Iraq, you get supply every month on a ship.

None of the sea workers would do this, which means that if they fall into the water, they will sink directly to the bottom of the sea. . .

And yes, that's how most soldier died in Normandy when they felt into the sea (not that deep by the way) and drown when they were drag down by their gear.

Back
Top Bottom