What's new

US giant Walmart quits India after venture ends

Good, this should be a relief for our smaller businesses which would not have been able to compete with walmart.

Its good that Walmart leaves India.

What we need are Indian supermarkets and logistic chains, not foreign.

Not necessarily beneficial. Why would Indian chains behave any differently? Walmart buys plenty from India, the sourcing should be looked at with a time period given to raise internal procurement to that level. Everyone benefits, chains like the German giant METRO have been working quite successfully in India for quite some time and the fear that small retailers would be hurt has proved to be not true..

@cb4

According to the OP they still have wholesale unit which will be their backend supplier if they open new retail stores in future.

Looks like they did not give up the Indian market but are waiting for conducive environment in terms of policy framework.

They are big enough to influence our politicians with their largess and in future you will definitely see their stores in all major cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, the world knows Lining sports gear and Huawei. They are simply too expensive for Indian consumers.

Not interested in what the world knows, we are discussing what Chinese brands have traction in Indian eyes. Huawei does sell its phones but there is very little interest(not about cost, costlier phones from other brands sell), no Chinese brand other then Lenovo evinces any interest. I'm not talking about whether Chinese products are good or not, merely discussing any Indian interest in buying a Chinese brand.

@cb4

According to the OP they still have wholesale unit which will be their backend supplier if they open new retail stores in future.

Looks like they did not give up the Indian market but are waiting for conducive environment in terms of policy framework.

They are big enough to influence our politicians with their largess and in future you will definitely see their stores in all major cities.

The wholesale business is a huge success story in itself and Walmart will do very well there regardless of when and if they decide to enter the retail space. The headline is completely wrong, Walmart won't be quitting India anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
We still don't have that mass buy concept in India where people generally don't buy excess and waste. On an average, Indians generally prefer to buy as much as they need (apart from affordability) and buy again.

Compared to them, corporates like Wal-Mart, Costco etc have championed the concept of mass buying where Americans buy massive quantities for a wholesale-like price and not only consume but also waste a lot.

That concept was not going to work in India especially with the local vegetable vendors whose earnings would be in danger and they'd be forced to either go hungry or work at these giants' stores.

LOL, the world knows Lining sports gear and Huawei. They are simply too expensive for Indian consumers.

We have Adidas and Nike opening retail stores in even small towns, and Chinese sports gears are expensive for us? The question was, what quality Chinese products can an average Indian buy from Walmart? The emphasis was on FMCG, consumer electronics and stuffs.

I haven't seen any average Indian or American buying Huawei or ZTE server rack from Walmart, so lets put those out of perspective. And Made in China, Indian mobile brands like Micromax or Karbonn aren't considered quality product as per se.

Bdw, there were couple of phones that interests me, some being Lenovo K900, Huawei Ascend P6 and OPPO Find 5. I'm a HTC One user, so build quality, looks, touch and feel, and bundled processing power is my priority.

We still don't have that mass buy concept in India where people generally don't buy excess and waste. On an average, Indians generally prefer to buy as much as they need (apart from affordability) and buy again.

Compared to them, corporates like Wal-Mart, Costco etc have championed the concept of mass buying where Americans buy massive quantities for a wholesale-like price and not only consume but also waste a lot.

That concept was not going to work in India especially with the local vegetable vendors whose earnings would be in danger and they'd be forced to either go hungry or work at these giants' stores.

You would be surprised. German major METRO has been running in Bangalore for 10 years now and is hugely successful. A lot of the smaller retailers are its biggest customers. The state government is happy because it collects a huge amount as VAT from a single source, something that isn't guaranteed in smaller stores. Everybody has benefitted, I don't buy the common argument that this would be bad for smaller players. After all Indian giants like Reliance, Bharati, Birla, Future group are not exactly small players when compared to local retailers. I believe the market exists for everyone & the consumer is benefitted.

Title misleading. Walmart has not quitted India. It finished it's JV with Bharti. It will continue to do business in India and will increase it's presence gradually as last year GoI allowed 51% FDI in multi brand retail and 100% FDI in single brand retail . Hence, they do not need a partner now for carrying on their business in India.Previously, FDI was restricted to less than 50%. So, they needed a partner. Just simple business strategy:coffee:.

Not necessarily beneficial. Why would Indian chains behave any differently? Walmart buys plenty from India, the sourcing should be looked at with a time period given to raise internal procurement to that level. Everyone benefits, chains like the German giant METRO have been working quite successfully in India for quite some time and the fear that small retailers would be hurt has proved to be not true..

My reasons are not just limited to local employment.
An Indian chain would wipe out just as many small shops as a Walmart would.

But an Indian chain would create more Indian jobs than Walmart would use. Walmart would leverage their global personnel base, while Indian chains have a much higher probability of generating a similar base from Indians.

That apart, the profits would be repatriated to India, in Walmarts case, they go to the US.

It's good walmart is going away. Walmart is not good for small shop keepers. These small shop keepers are self employed people who feed their family because of their shops. Plus, Walmart would have imported cheap chinese products killing the local manufacturers.

I am glad that foreign investment is pulling out of India........Indians now you guys will suffer.....jobs created by foreign investment are gone and prices of basic necessity will sky rise !!!

Soon Indians will beg foreign investors to come back and save India

India relaxes foreign-investment rules in retailing
India relaxes foreign-investment rules in retailing | Fox News Latino

Not interested in what the world knows, we are discussing what Chinese brands have traction in Indian eyes. Huawei does sell its phones but there is very little interest(not about cost, costlier phones from other brands sell), no Chinese brand other then Lenovo evinces any interest. I'm not talking about whether Chinese products are good or not, merely discussing any Indian interest in buying a Chinese brand.

Have you gone for PISA test? I was replying to post no. 10
What quality products you make anyway, of Chinese branding? Just curious.
LOL, you can't even grasp the question, there isn't a need to carry on the discussion I guess :laughcry:

Back
Top Bottom