What's new

US engaging in gunboat diplomacy: China

The greatest worry is this next "fifth generation" of Chinese leaders won't be as intelligent or as prudent as the last generation. There is a fundamental shift towards economists and history majors from engineers and technicians. If there is one benefit to this shift it is they should be able to handle the political challenges. Such types should be able to outmaneuver the military and a coup is unthinkable. It will be to the detriment of the Chinese people since they won't be so technically inclined, and economic growth will slow with business and history majors in charge instead of engineers. But it should be to the benefit of the rest of the world since such individuals loathe war

Noctis

Fascinating post - not as "intelligent or as "prudent" - I take it you were referring to Americans? Perish the thought, this condesention is reserved for "others" -- Given the traditional State dept. role the Pentagon has appropriated since 9/11, it's the primacy of US militarys' role in policy and the direction of politics in the US, that gives the world cause for concern.

Business and History majors have a disadvantage as compared to scientists and engineers, and that disadvantage is the lure of ideology - be careful what you wish for.

Hey Chinaowns you should try harder if you want to be funny. First mention that USA has 25% unemployment due to biased statistics. Then mention some stuff about Sarah Palin and Huckabee. Also make sure not to lie -- more people are not employed by the government than the private sector and the attempts on Obama's life are just hicks in trucks who got nowhere near Obama. Lying isn't as funny. See you can troll better if you just do a little research and try :chilli:

Actually those tactics reminds me of someone else.:azn::azn:

Anyways, off topic.
:cheers:

How are those two graphs correlated? Also aren't you trying to compare an anomaly?

US has one of the strongest political system or lets say legislation. It would be really hard for a military coup, because the generals/military heads are not so strong compared to senators in US.

Coming to China, if the Chinese government thinks that it is so strong and nothing can topple it, it wouldn't try to censor what its citizens see/watch/talk. As a country China is very strong, in fact it is becoming as strong as US, but the inherent characteristics of the legislative system defines the strengths and weaknesses in the governance and sustenance of it.

the inherent characteristics of the legislative system defines the strengths and weaknesses in the governance and sustenance of it.

What are these "inherent characteristics"

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

Pretty good Chinaowns getting better! :bunny:

Too bad fractional reserve banking has only existed for a hundred years. But hey, don't let that stop you. :china:

Pretty good Chinaowns getting better! :bunny:

Too bad fractional reserve banking has only existed for a hundred years. But hey, don't let that stop you. :china:

Actually I am impressed by that too. Even though I don't agree with many of his extremist views, this one actually I really do agree.

The another one has not progress at all, still at his old job of trolling with copy and paste though.

The greatest worry is this next "fifth generation" of Chinese leaders won't be as intelligent or as prudent as the last generation. There is a fundamental shift towards economists and history majors from engineers and technicians. If there is one benefit to this shift it is they should be able to handle the political challenges. Such types should be able to outmaneuver the military and a coup is unthinkable. It will be to the detriment of the Chinese people since they won't be so technically inclined, and economic growth will slow with business and history majors in charge instead of engineers. But it should be to the benefit of the rest of the world since such individuals loathe war.

I wouldn't worry about a coup. The military may have more influence but a coup is highly unlikely. Hu will still be in control of the military for the first five years at least. And I don't think there will be enough unity inside the PLA for a coup to be attempted.

In the presently very unlikely event that the chinese government absolutely breaks down, you are more likely to see a number of more or less equal strength military regional commanders assuming the role of warlords/regional rulers rather than a clean coup.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

Totally agree with the highlighted part, that to me is the single BIGGEST drawback to democracy and created the mass nanny state in europe (and the US is following this trait, judging by actions of Obama).

US has tackled this problem slightly better compared to its European counterparts though, largely because the US is still a very religious country and the republicans have been able to play the religion/conservative cards to attract the mass public, sort of like what the church did back in the middle ages to retain power. Once in power of course, the republicans take counter-measures to big governments/welfare states and aim to hand more power to the wealthy corporations.

On average it is in human nature to demand more while doing less, that's why western "democratic" systems either give into the never ending social benefit demands or engage in ever pervasive media spins. The bottom line is total dictatorship and total democracy both leads to total oblivion.

Totally agree with the highlighted part, that to me is the single BIGGEST drawback to democracy and created the mass nanny state in europe (and the US is following this trait, judging by actions of Obama).

US has tackled this problem slightly better compared to its European counterparts though, largely because the US is still a very religious country and the republicans have been able to play the religion/conservative cards to attract the mass public, sort of like what the church did back in the middle ages to retain power. Once in power of course, the republicans take counter-measures to big governments/welfare states and aim to hand more power to the wealthy corporations.

On average it is in human nature to demand more while doing less, that's why western "democratic" systems either give into the never ending social benefit demands or engage in ever pervasive media spins. The bottom line is total dictatorship and total democracy both leads to total oblivion.

Have you ever read the US pledge of allegiance

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The USA is representative democratic republic.
•Republic — A state in which the sovereign power resides in a certain body of the people (the electorate), and is exercised by representatives elected by, and responsible to, them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Something like this? Cool!!:lol:
images

The USA is representative democratic republic.
•Republic — A state in which the sovereign power resides in a certain body of the people (the electorate), and is exercised by representatives elected by, and responsible to, them.

And the point you are making is? How does that answer or contradict the points I was making in my previous post?

Btw I don't know why you highlighted the "republic", a republic in itself is nothing special and does not solve any of the problems mentioned before, France is a republic and hell guess what, China is also a republic, and so what?

Actually I am impressed by that too. Even though I don't agree with many of his extremist views, this one actually I really do agree.

The another one has not progress at all, still at his old job of trolling with copy and paste though.

In fact it is almost too good as if it came off the blog of some libertarian blog. It would not look out of place on Ron Paul's campaign site or other debt fear mongerers. In fact I could swear I read it somewhere.

topjumper said:
And the point you are making is? How does that answer or contradict the points I was making in my previous post?

Since you aren't a troll like Chinaowns I will answer this question. The weakness Chinaowns refers too is acutely known by any framer of a democratic constitution. The American Constitution, rather than granting legal rights, grants natural rights. The fundamental difference between a republic and a democracy is natural versus legal rights. In terms of voting in politicians who will provide the most benefits, that means that any natural right not guaranteed by the constitution is a legal right and therefore far harder for a politician to grant. The USA is nowhere near single payer healthcare, even though the majority of Americans want it, because single payer healthcare is not a natural right according to the US constitution. Any politician who promises to bribe the electorate with this or that benefit in a republic runs the risk of being attacked by his opponent for damaging the values of the republic. Legal rights can also be taken away. This means that should a benefit be fiscially unsound to the point of bankrupting a country, it can be removed with little fuss compared to natural rights.

Republics do not fall due to poor fiscal restraint as Chinaowns claims. They fall due to extremists on both left and right banding together to topple the republicans, usually from within due to some weakness in the constitution. Consider that most governing political parties do so with 30-40% of the vote. Now in a weak system, the extremists who make up 10-15% per party together with other extremists and remove the republicans from power, then proceed to destroy the system. This is how Hitler came to power. He actually had less than 20% of the vote, mostly 15%, but banded together with other extremists to oust the republicans. This mode of collapse is particularly difficult in a modern republic, because natural rights are guaranteed and not removable by legal measures of any dictator. If the constitution does not have severe weaknesses like the Weimar one, a republic is extremely robust.

Money is controlled by the government, so saying the government will collapse because it owes too much money is ridiculous unless that money is owed to foreigners. And even then only external factors such as those foreigners possessing a superior military or weakness in the constitution can destroy the republic, not simply going broke. Consider the following fact: between 1945 and 2010, one hundred dollars in 1945 money is now worth one thousand dollars. That means that in a short fifty years or so, the US debt will be ten times smaller naturally even if absolutely nothing is done. America will not be at war in Iraq forever, the baby boomers will not be around forever and government run healthcare is actually cheaper than what Americans have now (this is a proven fact with the Canadian and UK systems; the fear is quality will go down not that costs will go up). So even if every American demands healthcare coverage, costs will be lower than if run by corporate fat cats. America spends more public dollars covering a portion of its population than other countries do their whole population, adjusted per capita. That is a fact, so healthcare bankrupting the country is probably false. Same with almost every other benefit.

Last edited:

Btw I don't know why you highlighted the "republic", a republic in itself is nothing special and does not solve any of the problems mentioned before, France is a republic and hell guess what, China is also a republic, and so what?

CHINA is a communist republic totalitarian state with one-party government. As we have seen that does not work, but it is true that communism never works.

That easy to see for your self, no communist goverment has ever created a state any where as prosperous as the USA, Europe or even S Korea Allmost all communist goverments have collapsed. Chinas communist goverment is are in the process of collapsing as we speak. Government controls such as China has over production and prices will never create an efficient outcome as the self regulated market.

Yes democracy can lead to excess, but that is not allways true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom