What's new

US earned $210 billion in tourism receipts in 2017, 3 times higher than any other country

Although the US is 3rd in total number of visitors, it by far, earns the most money from international tourists. Spain is in 2nd with $68 billion.

Page 8 for reference:

https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/pdf/10.18111/9789284419876

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 5.23.12 PM.jpg

Seems International tourists don't buy anything in China...I wonder why...

View attachment 497246

Tourism receipts are more important than total number of visitors. It tells you if people are willing to spend their money once in country. Isn't that the whole point of tourism? To pay and experience new places and attractions?

Damn India so poor at 27$ billion and 15 million tourists. We need to seriously clean our country if we want tourists.

On a side note, benglesh has about the same tourist revenue as pakistan at $337 million.

Although the US is 3rd in total number of visitors, it by far, earns the most money from international tourists. Spain is in 2nd with $68 billion.

Page 8 for reference:

Egypt led growth both in absolute and relative terms in arrivals, rebounding strongly from previous years. Visitor numbers rebounded from both traditional markets in Western Europe and emerging markets in Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Promotional efforts and a return of confidence contributed to this recovery. Bahrain, Jordan and Palestine also rebounded robustly, while the United Arab Emirate of Dubai and Lebanon continued to grow at a sustained pace.

You wonder how much of that $68 billion in the Middle East is just in Egypt. After all, there is arguably the top of the list of 7 wonders of the world, along with king Tut's gold sarcophagus lol but actually between the Mediterranean an the red sea, there's a lot of vacationing tourism to be had in Egypt and you'd think it would be somewhere up there, but doesn't seem to be the case. There is rapid growth, though, so that's a good thing.

But then it really puts this in perspective when you look at the US and $210 billion LOLOL....that really says it all. Kinda supports my argument in the other thread about the global clout the US has. Along with the top economy (by far), the strongest military, all that comes also the most desirable destination in the world for most people.

@Zibago

Egypt led growth both in absolute and relative terms in arrivals, rebounding strongly from previous years. Visitor numbers rebounded from both traditional markets in Western Europe and emerging markets in Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Promotional efforts and a return of confidence contributed to this recovery. Bahrain, Jordan and Palestine also rebounded robustly, while the United Arab Emirate of Dubai and Lebanon continued to grow at a sustained pace.

You wonder how much of that $68 billion in the Middle East is just in Egypt. After all, there is arguably the top of the list of 7 wonders of the world, along with king Tut's gold sarcophagus lol but actually between the Mediterranean an the red sea, there's a lot of vacationing tourism to be had in Egypt and you'd think it would be somewhere up there, but doesn't seem to be the case. There is rapid growth, though, so that's a good thing.

But then it really puts this in perspective when you look at the US and $210 billion LOLOL....that really says it all. Kinda supports my argument in the other thread about the global clout the US has. Along with the top economy (by far), the strongest military, all that comes also the most desirable destination in the world for most people.

@Zibago

8 million tourists and 7.7$ billion revenue according to the study (pg 19)

Mainland chinese love to buy luxuey goods in Murica because it's cheaper than other countries. Mainland Chinese can't get enough of brand names shit mainly made in the same factory in China as other no name brands .

View attachment 497246

Rubbish. I was in China and seen how the local tourists spend. I should have taken a photo of the mad scramble for local goods. Its out of the world. They even design shopping areas with speed and large crowd in mind.

I myself spend over US$1000 in just one trip buying silk products, jade, tea, handicrafts etc. That exclude the tour cost. So much things to buy.
I was in Jiu Zhai Gou in Sichuan. It was an weekend and the crowd at the gate has to be seen to believe.

Rubbish. I was in China and seen how the local tourists spend. I should have taken a photo of the mad scramble for local goods. Its out of the world. They even design shopping areas with speed and large crowd in mind.

I myself spend over US$1000 in just one trip buying silk products, jade, tea, handicrafts etc. That exclude the tour cost. So much things to buy.
I was in Jiu Zhai Gou in Sichuan. It was an weekend and the crowd at the gate has to be seen to believe.

Maybe things get lost in translation like this “I love Beijing” t-shirt:

upload_2018-9-8_13-41-46.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 497246

because china is really cheap to travel. US is on the top because US is expensive, you send $8 on a burger, while in china a burger cost $1. That's 8x already for purchasing the same thing. Foreign spending is higher in the US reflects exactly that, people may actually purchase more items in China, but is not reflected in dollar amount.

Tourism receipts are more important than total number of visitors. It tells you if people are willing to spend their money once in country. Isn't that the whole point of tourism? To pay and experience new places and attractions?

actually no, it reflects how expensive to travel in that particular country. A burger in the US cost 8x amount as in China. It reflects how much more you are forced to spend for exactly the same thing.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom