What's new

US "Dragoon ride" military convoy throughout E. Europe and its reception

No,the comparison with Vietnam is not valid,the comparison with Afghanistan is.That was a counter insurgency war for the US and the USSR.The War in Vietnam was a war against a state actor with his Air Force,artillery,etc.I'm not a hypocrite and i'm telling you that when a state fights a state boming civillian areas makes sense because you want your opponent to give up ,you want to win.But when you're there as the "liberator" allied with the local goverment which was the case in A'stan for both the Soviets and NATO,you don't kill 1.5 million of them.

I'm pretty sure there were NATO soldiers in A'stan,Iraq who raped women or killed civilians but these are isolated cases unsanctioned by the higher echelons while in Russia's case the generals themselves were ordering their troops to raze entire villages to the ground.Not in WW2 ,not in a Cold War scenario of the 60-70's but in the end of the 90's ! That's why i'll never put an equal sign between those 2 powers.

There is a propaganda war ,a propaganda war against Western values to which the West is vulnerable because it hesitates in taking uncomfortable but necessary steps.Did you even see how RT presented the Dragoonride in the Czech Republic ? They made it seem like a big portion of Czech society was protesting against NATO when there were 50-100 members of the Communist Party who couldn't even make their own voice heard because of the pro NATO crowd.Not even RT could take out from the video people with US flags drowning the commie protest.Ofcourse they didn't show how in every city,every village people were cheering the Americans.That's how low they get.

Part of this propaganda is to to present Russia just like the US,a superpower with mere "interests" but they are not the same,never were,altough the US has its crimes.

Part of this propaganda is to cause a EU split .Who do you think it's behind the campaign against Eastern Europeans in the West ? Always with the subtle message "why do you want them.they're poor,they bring no value to Western Europe","they only bring your Union down".The same,in reverse,in Estern Europe..."the Westerners only use you","they see u as a colony,we respect you","have pride,don't cheer for the US,EU"...yes,yes,i know..."come to daddy".On and on.Plus their usefull idiots...some European parties,Tsipras,Orban.Here the EU has its fault because it didn't listen to the voices of its citizens on many important problems,such as immigration,creating discontent and with it a way for Russians to infiltrate

Part of this propaganda is to cause a EU-US split.The same messages "they're spying on you",they're occupying you ".Do you want to see a real occupation ? F'ucking watch Budapest 56.Prague 68.The EU-US share common values ,share common ideals altough they have their difference.A split coupled with a Russian fragmentation of the EU would let individual countries at the mercy of the Russians .Eastern Europe would be quickly overran,France and UK will survive due to nukes but with a limited influence in the shadow of an all powerfull Russia on the continent.Russia wants to prevent the current TTP negociated between Bruxelles and Washington because it will boost both economies while interlocking them in a powerfull symbiosis.

I can continue,but i'm honestly tired.In essence,i see the stakes in this,i know what Russia tries and i hope to God that it won't work and they'll be kicked out of here.This "continent" doesn't need them,not when they don't reform their entire thinking process.

In the end,i can summarise with a debate on another forum from yesterday.Polish ,German,US members were arguing with a Russian puttinbot who seem to have multiplied everywhere lately.Confronted with links about Soviet atrocities in WW2 against Poles,he desperately proclaimed :"i won't read them,all this knowledge is warmongering"...."knowledge is warmongering"....Russia in a nutshell for you.
I sympathize with your position regarding Europe's current crisis, being squeezed between Russia and America, having to choose between the two and in either case detrimental to Europe's own interests, however i have to disagree with your comparison of Afghan-Soviet war with the American led war in Afghanistan.

Afghan Soviet War can only be compared to the Vietnam War (there is a reason why Afghanistan is called the Soviet Union's Vietnam).

The Soviets were up against guerrilla fighters who were trained, funded, and supplied by Pakistan, America, and Saudi Arabia just as the Americans were up against the Viet Cong who were funded, trained, and supplied by North Vietnam, the Soviet Union, China, and other Communist countries.

Both Soviets and Americans carpet bombed/napalmed villages and towns suspected of supplying & harboring the resistance.

Only difference being that the Soviets couldn't directly attack Pakistan the way Americans did to North Vietnam due to the likelihood of greater instability in the region since Pakistan and Afghanistan were very close to the Soviet border.

The tactics and strategy to tackle insurgents has matured since 1970's and 80's like the use of precision guided munitions vs. carpet bombing, accurate intel via advanced communications and deployment of small highly trained spec op forces instead of large conventional formations to combat guerrilla organizations, thus less civilian casualties compared to the Vietnam war or the Soviet war in Afghanistan.

Like i said, there is no good side in war, all sides are dirty, only difference being that the victors get to hide their own war crimes and exaggerate those of the vanquished.

Back
Top Bottom