What's new

US dismisses LSE report, says cooperation with Pakistan unprecedented

i think it's a pressure of pak govt on usa govt. may be pak govt denied to help the usa to fight against taliban if usa accept the "true LSE report."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We pressured US govt. On one hand you guys say we dont have balls to do anything. On other you say we brought US to its knees.

If I was posting from Bharuch in India, I would at least get my flags right ...

And I thought Indians liked to point to Pakistan as the 'land of conspiracy theories'? You guys aren't far behind at all see.

loll poor chap got his visa rejected i guess

Seriously, why would US upset pakistan especially when finally pakistan has shown intent to flush out extremists? I must not remind you how blatant hillary clinton was when she visited pakistan. Nailing many of your wrongdoings.

Its obvious that it was decided in the strategic dialog not to inflame public sentiments which would ultimately upset WOT commitments by pak.

Also, The flags were default set. Thanks for pointing that out.

Seriously, why would US upset pakistan especially when finally pakistan has shown intent to flush out extremists? I must not remind you how blatant hillary clinton was when she visited pakistan. Nailing many of your wrongdoings.

Its obvious that it was decided in the strategic dialog not to inflame public sentiments which would ultimately upset WOT commitments by pak.

Also, The flags were default set. Thanks for pointing that out.
Dude, seriously do you have an actual argument? There was no proof to the whole thing, not a single shred of evidence provided, not even an interview of those 9 Taliban folks - and how credible could 9 Taliban grunts be, so many loopholes oh and lets not forget the biggest screw up in the report that ZARDARI was in cahoots with the Taliban - Taliban who are ready to kill Shias - Zardari = Shia.

The US showed they were not idiots to believe in bull crap.

Seriously, why would US upset pakistan especially when finally pakistan has shown intent to flush out extremists?

You just provided a reason for why the LSE report is junk genius, and why the US is not giving it any validity.

If I was posting from Bharuch in India, I would at least get my flags right ...

And I thought Indians liked to point to Pakistan as the 'land of conspiracy theories'? You guys aren't far behind at all see.

Indians and westerners call Pakistanis conspiracy theorists but do the same when it suits them. On this forum and on other forums, I saw tons of Indians and Westerners making conspiracy theories when I gave them counter arguments against the LSE report.

US dismisses LSE report, says cooperation with Pakistan unprecedented
WASHINGTON, June 19 (APP): The United States has brushed aside a controversial report which last week alleged Pakistan’s covert support for the Afghan Taliban, as the State Department hailed the “unprecedented” anti-militant cooperation with the South Asian ally.

“We’re in a period of unprecedented cooperation with Pakistan and engaged with them in an existential struggle against the terrorist forces in Pakistan and in Afghanistan,”

this must be a national day of mourning for all those countries that were gloating at the LSE report the likes of which come periodically after every 2 or 3 months

WASHINGTON: A four-star US general, while refusing to endorse a London School of Economics report which blames Pakistan for maintaining links with the Afghan Taliban, says that “you have to have contact with bad guys to get intelligence on bad guys”.

When at a congressional hearing on Thursday a lawmaker quoted from the report to support his claim that Pakistan had links to the Afghan Taliban, Gen David Petraeus said: “Well, first of all, I don’t want to imply that I would accept the London School of Economics study or the individual who wrote that for them, his conclusions in all respects.”

A report released by the London School of Economics earlier this week claimed that support for the Afghan Taliban was “official policy” of the Inter-Services Intelligence.

Since then, experts have rejected the report as “shoddy”, based merely on interviews with Afghan intelligence officials who had their own reasons for implicating Pakistan.

Gen Petraeus, who as commander of the US Central Command oversees America’s war efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, however, is the first senior US official to have publicly rejected the report as incorrect.

At two separate hearings at the US Senate and the House of Representatives this week he strongly defended Pakistan’s efforts to fight extremism.

When Martin Heinrich, a congressman from New Mexico, referred to the LSE report, Gen Petraeus expressed doubts about its authenticity and noted that links between Pakistani intelligence agencies and Afghans “date back decades from when we used the ISI to build the Mujahideen, who were used to push the Soviets out of Afghanistan.”

Although the US general acknowledged that “some of those ties continue in various forms”, he pointed out that such links were useful too.

“Some of them, by the way, gathering intelligence … you have to have contact with bad guys to get intelligence on bad guys. And so it’s very important, I think, again, to try to have this kind of nuanced feel for what is really going on.”

The Pakistanis, he said, also had carried out “impressive counter-insurgency operations” against the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan and their affiliates and in both settled and tribal areas.

They also were cooperating with the US “in a variety of ways”, which led to the killing of more than 12 out of an updated list of top 20 Al Qaeda and Taliban leaders during the last 18 months, he said.

“I do believe that the Pakistanis – the people, the leaders, the clerics, and the military – all recognise that you cannot allow poisonous snakes to have a nest in your backyard,” said the US general.

“Even if the tacit agreement is that they’re going to bite the neighbour’s kids instead of yours, eventually they turn around and bite you and your kids.”

Referring to a lawmaker who had questioned his use of the term ‘Pakistani partners,’ Gen Petraeus stressed the need for a long-term commitment to Pakistan.

“I think we have to continue what is slowly being seen by our Pakistani partners – and I say that word with sincerity – is as a sustained, substantial commitment. That is what they’re looking to see,” he said.

“There is history here. Three times before, including after Charlie Wilson’s war, we left precipitously after and left them holding the bag,” he added.

“They have enormous challenges, not just in the security arena, but in the economic arena, social, political … and it is hugely important that we be seen as partners by them and seen to be working to help them.”

Defining the US-Pakistan partnership in the war against terrorists, the general said: “They’re doing the fighting. We’re doing the enabling, with equipping, with funding … some training, intelligence exchanges, and the rest of that.”

The key in this equation, he added, was to build a strategic relationship.

This deserves an epic facepalm if there ever was one.

All of a sudden the media is brimming with people dismissing the report :D

Ties with bad guys help get bad guys: Gen Petraeus

A four-star US general, while refusing to endorse a London School of Economics report which blames Pakistan for maintaining links with the Afghan Taliban, says that “you have to have contact with bad guys to get intelligence on bad guys”.

When at a congressional hearing on Thursday a lawmaker quoted from the report to support his claim that Pakistan had links to the Afghan Taliban, Gen David Petraeus said: “Well, first of all, I don’t want to imply that I would accept the London School of Economics study or the individual who wrote that for them, his conclusions in all respects.”

A report released by the London School of Economics earlier this week claimed that support for the Afghan Taliban was “official policy” of the Inter-Services Intelligence.

Since then, experts have rejected the report as “shoddy”, based merely on interviews with Afghan intelligence officials who had their own reasons for implicating Pakistan.

Gen Petraeus, who as commander of the US Central Command oversees America’s war efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, however, is the first senior US official to have publicly rejected the report as incorrect.

At two separate hearings at the US Senate and the House of Representatives this week he strongly defended Pakistan’s efforts to fight extremism.

When Martin Heinrich, a congressman from New Mexico, referred to the LSE report, Gen Petraeus expressed doubts about its authenticity and noted that links between Pakistani intelligence agencies and Afghans “date back decades from when we used the ISI to build the Mujahideen, who were used to push the Soviets out of Afghanistan.”

Although the US general acknowledged that “some of those ties continue in various forms”, he pointed out that such links were useful too.

“Some of them, by the way, gathering intelligence … you have to have contact with bad guys to get intelligence on bad guys. And so it’s very important, I think, again, to try to have this kind of nuanced feel for what is really going on.”

The Pakistanis, he said, also had carried out “impressive counter-insurgency operations” against the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan and their affiliates and in both settled and tribal areas.

They also were cooperating with the US “in a variety of ways”, which led to the killing of more than 12 out of an updated list of top 20 Al Qaeda and Taliban leaders during the last 18 months, he said.

“I do believe that the Pakistanis – the people, the leaders, the clerics, and the military – all recognise that you cannot allow poisonous snakes to have a nest in your backyard,” said the US general.

“Even if the tacit agreement is that they’re going to bite the neighbour’s kids instead of yours, eventually they turn around and bite you and your kids.”

Referring to a lawmaker who had questioned his use of the term ‘Pakistani partners,’ Gen Petraeus stressed the need for a long-term commitment to Pakistan.

“I think we have to continue what is slowly being seen by our Pakistani partners – and I say that word with sincerity – is as a sustained, substantial commitment. That is what they’re looking to see,” he said.

“There is history here. Three times before, including after Charlie Wilson’s war, we left precipitously after and left them holding the bag,” he added.

“They have enormous challenges, not just in the security arena, but in the economic arena, social, political … and it is hugely important that we be seen as partners by them and seen to be working to help them.”

Defining the US-Pakistan partnership in the war against terrorists, the general said: “They’re doing the fighting. We’re doing the enabling, with equipping, with funding … some training, intelligence exchanges, and the rest of that.”

The key in this equation, he added, was to build a strategic relationship.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Ties with bad guys help get bad guys: US

Pakistan tends to act against the organisations troubling it like TTP but wants to ignore the afghan taliban,the USofA wants Pakistan to act against the afghan Taliban also but the Pakistan govt. does not want to get caught up in too many fronts and to avoid a public backlash.The US general's rebuttal of the LSE's report is way of coaxing the Pakistani's to act against the afghan Taliban to a greater extent.

IMHO the LSE's report and the general's rebuttal of the report should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom