What's new

US dismisses LSE report, says cooperation with Pakistan unprecedented

Creder

Reaction score
WASHINGTON, June 19 (APP): The United States has brushed aside a controversial report which last week alleged Pakistan’s covert support for the Afghan Taliban, as the State Department hailed the “unprecedented” anti-militant cooperation with the South Asian ally.

“We’re in a period of unprecedented cooperation with Pakistan and engaged with them in an existential struggle against the terrorist forces in Pakistan and in Afghanistan,” a State Department spokesman checked a journalist, when he asked about sweeping allegations in the report published by the London School of Economics.

Marc C. Toner, Acting Deputy Spokesman, reminded at the daily briefing that the State Department spokesman had already “dismissed the report and the findings.”

The report, prepared by a Harvard reseracher and premised on interviews with Afghan intelligence officials, made several outlandish claims ranging from Pakistani intelligence backing for Afghan militants to the president of the country having met with Afghan militant prisoners.

Meanwhile, a top US commander has also rejected findigns of the report.
“Well, first of all, I don’t want to imply that I would accept the London School of Economics study or the individual who wrote that for them, his conclusions in all respects,” Gen David Petraeus, chief of the US Central Command, told lawmakers at a Congressional hearing.

Answering questions by US lawmakers, Petraeus also praised Pakistan’s impressive military operations against militants in Swat last year and a number of ongoging actions in tribal areas along the Afghan border.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - US dismisses LSE report, says cooperation with Pakistan unprecedented

Daily Press Briefing - June 18

This is from the press briefing direct from US Gov website. APP is a pretty reliable source, just so you know. It has been reported on the foreign media but only at a very limited scale. Reason for that is it goes against their interests to report something like this.

Edit: I see you found this before me. You do realize that what he means by NOT KIND OF, do you?

very dissapointing for our indian friends - clinging at straws now!! as above!

QUESTION: -- earlier this week there was a report by London School of Economics saying that Pakistan’s ISI still has links with (inaudible) Afghanistan Taliban. And then yesterday, there was a report by the Sunday Times, London, saying that President Zardari met with several Taliban leaders who have been imprisoned inside Pakistan.

MR. TONER: Sure.

QUESTION: And then there’s another document from Pakistan’s Punjab Province saying that Punjab has been giving funds to Jamaat-ud-Dawa, the charity wing of Lashkar-e-Tayyiba. Are you concerned about these reports? How is it going on?

MR. TONER: Look, Lalit, we’re in a period of unprecedented cooperation with Pakistan and engaged with them in an existential struggle against the terrorist forces in Pakistan and in Afghanistan. And we’ve got unprecedented cooperation. And I think previously this week – I think P.J., from the podium, kind of – or not kind of – dismissed the report and the findings.

Yes, sir.

State Department Briefing by Mark C. Toner, June 18, 2010

I think P.J., from the podium, kind of or not kind of – dismissed the report and the findings–

you do realise that by saying no kind of he is asserting that he IS indeed sure and thats why no futher question was raised
Meanwhile, a top US commander has also rejected findigns of the report.
“Well, first of all, I don’t want to imply that I would accept the London School of Economics study or the individual who wrote that for them, his conclusions in all respects,” Gen David Petraeus, chief of the US Central Command, told lawmakers at a Congressional hearing.

This is Pakistani media not Indian media, we dont yank it that much..Pakistani media quoted the individual and im sure since that wouldnt enough for yo to digest, the report quoted an American commander :pakistan:

Philip J Crowley, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Public Affairs

EDIT: Not the the spoksperson

Last edited:
I should add that not only is the American state dismissing the LSE report, it is also dismissing the idea that Pakistan is supporting Taliban.

^ ah well our indian members had some cheap fun out of this atleast

If I were the US and if I wanted my work to be done by you, I would pretty much say the same thing thats said in the briefing

If I were US and if I wanted my work to be done by you, I will pretty much say the same thing thats said in the briefing

Here we go, didn't take long. Welcome to PDF... Enjoy your stay, while it lasts!

Its a shame you people cannot digest reality, even in bite sized chunks!

i think it's a pressure of pak govt on usa govt. may be pak govt denied to help the usa to fight against taliban if usa accept the "true LSE report."

If I were the US and if I wanted my work to be done by you, I would pretty much say the same thing thats said in the briefing

If I was posting from Bharuch in India, I would at least get my flags right ...

And I thought Indians liked to point to Pakistan as the 'land of conspiracy theories'? You guys aren't far behind at all see.

i think it's a pressure of pak govt on usa govt. may be pak govt denied to help the usa to fight against taliban if usa accept the "true LSE report."

Or maybe, instead of conspiracy theories, the fact that the methodology and conclusions of the report were absurd, as pointed out in the thread on the LSE report, and as pointed out by the GoP, ISPR, and various Pakistani commentators, was the reason why the US rejected the report.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom