What's new

US discusses China’s ‘assertiveness’ with India

Isaq Khan

BANNED
Reaction score

New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) Amid concern in India over recent Chinese assertiveness, the US Thursday said it was keeping a watch on increasing Chinese activities in South China Sea and shared a common goal of making Beijing a constructive contributor to regional security.

The chief of the US Pacific Command, Admiral Robert F. Willard, also underlined the growing threat of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and said the US was looking to expand cooperation with India to tackle the terror network.

“Our common goal is to ensure China makes a constructive contributor to regional security,” Willard, who commands all US forces in the Asia-Pacific region, told reporters here.

He said China’s activities in the region and its intentions were among the issues that were discussed between him and Indian officials.

Willard met National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao and Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar. He also met the three service chiefs Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik, Admiral Nirmal Verma and General V.K. Singh.

The two sides reviewed the growing India-US defence relationship and discussed ways to expand it further ahead of US President Barack Obama’s visit to India in November.

“India-US relationship has matured into a strategic dialogue,” he said.

Admiral Willard’s visit comes soon after a Pentagon report on the military capabilities of China, which says the 2.25-million strong People’s Liberation Army has moved “more advanced and survivable” solid-fuelled CSS-5 nuclear-capable ballistic missiles closer to the borders with India “to improve regional deterrence”.

China is also developing contingency plans to move airborne troops into the region, says the report.

The China issue is likely to figure in discussion when Defence Minister A.K. Antony goes to Washington towards the end of the month.

Relations between India and China came under stress after Beijing denied visa to a senior Indian Army general on grounds that his command included Jammu and Kashmir. India has also voiced concern over the reported presence of 7,000-11,000 Chinese troops in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

“Any change in military relations or military manoeuvres by China will be a cause of concern,” Willard said, adding that it was up to the Indian establishment to deal with the issue.

Willard also underlined the growing counter-terror cooperation between India and the US, saying the centre of gravity of terror networks lies in Pakistan. “The US has been re-evaluating global terror threats. LeT is one of the affiliates of al-Qaeda. We have a broader interest in tackling this threat,” he said.

More at : US discusses China’s ‘assertiveness’ with India US discusses China’s ‘assertiveness’ with India

China and India will try this one upmanship for the next few years. I don't care if China becomes the superpower - we can't depend on the Yanks for anything - we must be prepared to defend areas like Tawang from Chinese designs.

The headline has nothing to do with the facts

How does this translate into a condemnation of "Chinese assertiveness" that the Indian media so DESPERATELY want.

“India-US relationship has matured into a strategic dialogue,”

“Our common goal is to ensure China makes a constructive contributor to regional security,” Willard, who commands all US forces in the Asia-Pacific region, told reporters here.

“Any change in military relations or military manoeuvres by China will be a cause of concern,”

“The US has been re-evaluating global terror threats. LeT is one of the affiliates of al-Qaeda. We have a broader interest in tackling this threat,”

Does it say the Yanks condemned Chinese "assertiveness" in the article?

Does it say the Yanks condemned Chinese "assertiveness" in the article?

Title

What do you think discuss here meant? Think about what your friend Indian_reality read it as. Is America likely to pro-chinese assertiveness or anti-chinese assertiveness in such a discussion.

U.S. is here for its own interests, GOI must balance its relationship between USA and PRC. India must engage in dialogue with china to sort out the issues amicably while maintaining an independent alliance with U.S. We stand to gain tremendously by maintaining/developing good relations with both, souring any one for the sake of another will cause more headaches down the line
just my .02

Relations between India and China came under stress after Beijing denied visa to a senior Indian Army general on grounds that his command included Jammu and Kashmir. India has also voiced concern over the reported presence of 7,000-11,000 Chinese troops in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

Wow, thats really a bad sign, i wonder will it be another ...digging coming up for Indians and i doubt by discussing with US will do you any good, remember both super power US and Russia were supporting your behind in 1962, what happen? hmm, Indians, be aware of your ...:whistle:

Wow, thats really a bad sign, i wonder will it be another ...digging coming up for Indians and i doubt by discussing with US will do you any good, remember both super power US and Russia were supporting your behind in 1962, what happen? hmm, Indians, be aware of your ...:whistle:

Not quite. In 1962 the Soviets refused to help either side claiming "India is an ally and China is a brother". The Yanks were busy with the Cuban missile crisis as were the Soviets - but Kennedy did send military aid to India - on seeing this, the Chinese backed down. Read some history.

Title

What do you think discuss here meant? Think about what your friend Indian_reality read it as. Is America likely to pro-chinese assertiveness or anti-chinese assertiveness in such a discussion.

There is a difference between assuaging Indian concerns and condemning China. The Americans are also walking a diplomatic tightrope - no one has condemned China nor have they openly said that China is being "assertive".

Not quite. In 1962 the Soviets refused to help either side claiming "India is an ally and China is a brother". The Yanks were busy with the Cuban missile crisis as were the Soviets - but Kennedy did send military aid to India - on seeing this, the Chinese backed down. Read some history.

Sure, why not? can GOI disclose the "Henderson report" for me to learn the real history of 1962 Sino-Indo war?:yahoo:
Well, anyway i guess according to Indians history, you won the war cos China back down after kicking your a@s, nice logic:tup:

Sure, why not? can GOI disclose the "Henderson report" for me to learn the real history of 1962 Sino-Indo war?:yahoo:
Well, anyway i guess according to Indians history, you won the war cos China back down after kicking your a@s, nice logic:tup:

Haha - no, India lost that war. Why must you learn it from Indian sources - why can't you learn it from neutral sources? According to India history, India got beaten black and blue in that war and Nehru's speech - "My heart goes out to people of Assam" is a matter of record. Since China invaded Tibet, Nehru should have seen it coming. It's a shame he didn't.

Haha - no, India lost that war. Why must you learn it from Indian sources - why can't you learn it from neutral sources? According to India history, India got beaten black and blue in that war and Nehru's speech - "My heart goes out to people of Assam" is a matter of record. Since China invaded Tibet, Nehru should have seen it coming. It's a shame he didn't.

There goes the same old train again.

I refer you to the first post of this thread
http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-defence/70932-1962-anyone-who-havent-read.html

Back
Top Bottom