What's new

US debt hits 14 trillon.Dollars

So you are suggesting elimination of payroll tax to encourage manufacturing jobs to come back to the US.

Payroll Tax makes up about 36% of federal government revenue (bearing in mind the US is already in deficit), so how are they going to make up for the shortfall in Federal Revenue if the payroll tax is cut?
Numbers_Figure-1_What-are-fed-govts-sources-of-revenue_3.gif

In addition the China average manufacturing wage per month is 134 USD and there are loads of countries that have far less or slightly more. By cutting the payroll taxes which manufacturing industries are going benefit from this? No doubt some really high tech industries will see the benefit but I hardly doubt any US worker will work for 134 USD per month assembling Ipads. Doesn't the US unemployment benefit pay more then this already?
Manufacturing Sector Average Salary Income - International Comparison

Err okay so you own something, don't let me stop you from telling everyone about it on the internet.

I think the mooncalf you keep talking about is the one staring at you in the mirror each morning ;)

The average wage of 134 per month was in 2004. Currently, Foxxcon (the Ipad assembly company) can't even find workers for 3000 RMB per month (400 USD).

The average wage of 134 per month was in 2004. Currently, Foxxcon (the Ipad assembly company) can't even find workers for 3000 RMB per month (400 USD).

Fair enough and thanks for pointing that out. But it still supports the context of my previous post. Though I should have used the assembling plant of another products. Noted on that.

So you are suggesting elimination of payroll tax to encourage manufacturing jobs to come back to the US.

I think the mooncalf you keep talking about is the one staring at you in the mirror each morning ;)

I am not sure what you guys are on about here but your statistics are a bit off.

First the data you give out is 2004 data, the average wage increase in China is around 8%....so six years down the line its quite a bit off.

Second the data shows net wages, its missing the total costs of a worker including benefits, which if I iirc should be roughly double the net wages after the deductions mentioned in the source.

Also the term average wages are misleading....the industrial base of China is still in the east coast, where wages are significantly higher than the poorer western region, thats why the chinese government is trying to shift its production bases to the east....but without much success apparently is what I gather.

I am not sure what you guys are on about here but your statistics are a bit off.

First the data you give out is 2004 data, the average wage increase in China is around 8%....so six years down the line its quite a bit off.

Second the data shows net wages, its missing the total costs of a worker including benefits, which if I iirc should be roughly double the net wages after the deductions mentioned in the source.

Also the term average wages are misleading....the industrial base of China is still in the east coast, where wages are significantly higher than the poorer western region, thats why the chinese government is trying to shift its production bases to the east....but without much success apprently is what I gather.

I agree I should have used newer statistics apologies on that, I'm just using simple economic data to counter Jeypore's post which mentions that by cutting payroll tax manufacturing jobs will go back to the US which we know is not the case. So long as the nett wages of any country outside of the US is below that of a US worker the job will be outsourced due to competitive advantage. In fact in today's world only a import tax or an outright embargo would be more suitable.

In addition given the quality of his post (refer to previous post) its not really worth my time to get the best possible sources for counter argument.

Here you go, the most updated one:
Chart.jpg

Now that is a classic case of data manipulation.

For example, rising incomes lead to even more discontent in China. 87,000 offficially endorsed cases of rioting in 2005.

If incomes are rising and people gain more wealth, why is there social unrest?

Why is there a long term negative outlook on China....why is 'China-plus-one' strategy gaining popularity these days....points to chew on.

Payroll Tax makes up about 36% of federal government revenue

Even that is False Statement!!!!!!!!!!

Majority of Payroll tax dollars are allocated to Excutive Branch only.................

A business owner in America pays about 36% of taxes total, it does not matter if it is a mom and pop shop or an manufacturing plant (do not even forget the tax in Work in progress, I think My Mooncalf will understand since the CPIM did not mean anything), which makes US firms hard to compete in there own homeland. Anyways, These high taxations are only related to social values, if removed the competitiveness of American firms can outdue any in the world today because of economic of scale plus the logistic aspect....

Thanks....

Even that is False Statement!!!!!!!!!!

Majority of Payroll tax dollars are allocated to Excutive Branch only.................

A business owner in America pays about 36% of taxes total, it does not matter if it is a mom and pop shop or an manufacturing plant (do not even forget the tax in Work in progress, I think My Mooncalf will understand since the CPIM did not mean anything), which makes US firms hard to compete in there own homeland. Anyways, These high taxations are only related to social values, if removed the competitiveness of American firms can outdue any in the world today because of economic of scale plus the logistic aspect....

Thanks....

Yawn Shirking the main points as usual

Answer this
1. Who is going to make up the shortfall in reduction of payroll tax considering the US government is already in deficit (you know what deficit is yes?)

2. After reduction of taxes of all sorts can the average salary of a US worker competitiveness match that of a developing country.

Bear in mind these are the points you pushed forward in the previous post

Its called globalization dipstick. You just cannot accept that the US workers enjoy better privileges then a developing country and insist that something which took decades to evolve can be simply switched back by changing some policies. Ask any typical American to switch their house to a mud hut why don't you?

Anonymous user

Answer this
1. Who is going to make up the shortfall in reduction of payroll tax considering the US government is already in deficit (you know what deficit is yes?)

First of all, you dumba$$, the US gov't deficit and the US economy are two seperate entities. If US Gov't raises it debt ceiling then it is betting on the ecomomy (which is GDP of US) raising or even passing the debt in future..... Hence, you will here President Obama speaking of stimuliting the economy with this additional money...

2. After reduction of taxes of all sorts can the average salary of a US worker competitiveness match that of a developing country.

Yes, depending on what product are you speaking off.... If you are talking about paper clips then no, but talking about Cars, computers or aircrafts, yes because the economic scales of computerization and robotics outdues any human labor...

Thanks..

First of all, you dumba$$, the US gov't deficit and the US economy are two seperate entities. If US Gov't raises it debt ceiling then it is betting on the ecomomy (which is GDP of US) raising or even passing the debt in future..... Hence, you will here President Obama speaking of stimuliting the economy with this additional money...

"In theory, a payroll tax cut could please both antitax Republicans and Democrats worried that the lower and middle classes are being squeezed by the recession. But the idea may have a rocky road in Congress, especially if lawmakers are looking to use it as part of a compromise to raise the debt ceiling. Further cutting the payroll tax—which funds Social Security—would raise questions among budget hawks worried about the cost to the deficit."
Momentum Grows for Payroll Tax Cut - US News and World Report

The plan -- which proposes slashing $4 trillion off the nation's debt over the next 10 years -- recommends that lawmakers consider a so-called payroll tax holiday as an economic stimulus measure.

The "holiday" would be one-sided, meaning it would apply to either employees or employers, but the report is not clear on which. Each currently pay about 6.2% of a worker's salary, up to the first $106,800 of income, to fund Social Security.

While most measures in the debt commission's plan seek to reduce the nation's staggering deficit, cutting payroll taxes, at least for part of fiscal year 2011, would actually cost the government between $50 billion and $100 billion in lost revenue, the report said.

The trust funds of Social Security and Medicare, which are normally supported by the payroll tax, would instead be reimbursed from general revenues in 2011.

Still, the debt commission said, it would be worthwhile because a payroll tax holiday "would result in significant short-term economic growth." (Fantastic :azn:)

Earlier this year, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that eliminating payroll taxes could be roughly two to four times more effective in spurring economic activity than a reduction in income taxes.

The tax cut both parties should love -- but don't
While it would seem like a win for Democrats, who generally support more stimulus, and Republicans, who advocate for more tax cuts, the proposal has garnered very little support from most Washington lawmakers.

Democrats appear to be more concerned about weakening the financial support behind Social Security, and Republicans are more focused on extending the Bush-era tax cuts for top wage earners.

Sen. Judd Gregg, a Republican from New Hampshire who sits on the debt commission, said he plans to vote in favor of the overall plan, but he disagrees with the payroll tax recommendation in particular.

"The economy will recover if we don't raise taxes, but an additional tax cut may not help," said Gregg, who argues the first round of stimulus rebate checks, totaling about $90 billion in 2008, failed to significantly boost the economy.

Some leading economists are also skeptical.

At a time when consumers are still cutting back their spending and revving up their savings instead, some argue a payroll tax holiday would be ineffective as a stimulus move. Workers may just put the extra dollars away as an investment or use them to pay down their existing debts.

"In terms of addressing long term needs, I don't think anybody thinks America's problem is we had too little consumption," Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said Wednesday. "This is really an instrument for increasing consumption, and so I would prefer, if you're going to give some tax cuts, to focus it, one way or another, on investment that produces bang for the buck." (My sentiments exactly)
Slash the deficit! But give a payroll tax holiday - Dec. 1, 2010

Again your one liner reviews are so full of holes

Yes, depending on what product are you speaking off.... If you are talking about paper clips then no, but talking about Cars, computers or aircrafts, yes because the economic scales of computerization and robotics outdues any human labor...

Thanks..

"But what chance is there that workers will permit employers to reap the benefits of a lower payroll tax rate? In my opinion, none. Workers will insist that they get all the benefits in the form of higher take-home pay. Consequently, there will be no reduction in labor costs for employers and no reason why this measure will reduce unemployment.

Moreover, it's clear from looking at labor markets that the problem for employers isn't that labor costs are rising excessively, but rather that there is no demand for their output. Under such conditions, a small cut to labor costs, such as might result from lowering the payroll tax, is very unlikely to do much of anything to expand employment."
Don't Cut The Payroll Tax - Forbes.com

Debating with you is simply a joke, simply getting news sources from good sites already support what I said earlier. With regards to manufacturing I already mentioned in post #103 that "No doubt some really high tech industries will see the benefit but I hardly doubt any US worker will work for 134 USD per month assembling Ipads. Doesn't the US unemployment benefit pay more then this already?".

If we start talking about computer manufacturing and other areas again we will loop back to the Supply Chain bit I raised earlier (With supporting references) that you so obviously breezed over.

Debating with you was an amusement at first but now it’s getting boring. Even your arguments about economics of scale and robotics makes no sense in most industries considering how cheap human labour is around the world and economies of scale are designed primarily on products that are meant for the mass consumer market. (meaning CHEAP)

This is my last post to you dipstick, normally I will respect the person I debate with but for you I make an exception since you’re so full of yourself.

Good luck trying to reduce that deficit by cutting taxes

Anonymous user

"In terms of addressing long term needs, I don't think anybody thinks America's problem is we had too little consumption," Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said Wednesday. "This is really an instrument for increasing consumption, and so I would prefer, if you're going to give some tax cuts, to focus it, one way or another, on investment that produces bang for the buck."

He is talking about cutting payroll tax, and there are other taxes that are affected to American business. Infact, American taxes system for any business equal close to 35% of total sales....

(My sentiments exactly)

And, that is why you are dumbA$$ because the article talks about polar opposite and you agree on this specific statement, well so do I.... Do you really know what are you discussing............

Anonymous user

"Debating with you was an amusement at first but now it’s getting boring. Even your arguments about economics of scale and robotics makes no sense in most industries considering how cheap human labour is around the world and economies of scale are designed primarily on products that are meant for the mass consumer market. (meaning CHEAP)

And, I want you to prove this sentence to me because it all applies to small dollar products, like I have said before. But I want to you to prove to me, when considering larger product cost based value, how is this possible!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom