What's new

US church to go ahead with Sept 11 Quran burning

That is what you do anyways, what's the difference?

And, no it is not state's responsibility to stop such thugs. In case you haven't noticed...... he has to right to burn Quran.

That is the part people have trouble with. I think it has to do with a culture clash. Like if that happened in a Islamic state it would probably be stopped and the man arrested and tried. People still have trouble with this freedom of speech stuff. They don't understand that it applies to EVERYTHING and you cant adjust it to a majority.

People still have trouble with this freedom of speech stuff. They don't understand that it applies to EVERYTHING and you cant adjust it to a majority.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised and not in the least shocked, if somebody here in the US decided to imitate them, except by burning the bible rather than any other holy book.

I'm surprised at the posters who think this is somehow US gov't sanctioned/ has the support of a majority of Americans.

Answering with violence will only show the pastor to be right. Peaceful demonstration, or better yet leaving/ mailing islamic gifts for/to his church would utterly embarass him. Kill his and like views with kindness. Violence will only fan flames and create more martyrs to the cause of intolerance and hatred.

condemn this act is not enugh for muslims i really dont think taliban or extreamst or even a noral Muslim wil satisfy of condemn by USA or heiry or any one they have to stop them or ready for new wave of tarorr in worldwide.and this time when extremist hit US EU we just say we condemn this act and tata.its not state responsebilty to stop such thugs ?

Government at any level has no authority to stop this event. Local authorities may try to use technicalities such as permits, zoning codes, fire codes.

Thats the reality.

On a different tone, it will make Gen Petraus job much harder. A thousand Quran burning pics and videos are a gift to Al Qaida and Taliban recruiters.

Hmm, it's strange for Americans to take a stand on such matters. Legally, people can do what they want with the books they own. Therefore, to take a stand, pro- or con- on this matter doesn't indicate respect for Islam as much as it does fear or anticipation of what revenge some Muslims may commit in response.
Precisely, which makes it harder to praise the condemnation of this despicable act. Are Americans being respectful, or fearful?

Are they condemning it outwardly and supporting it inside?

Thats the most rational page i have come across so far :)
Peoples have managed to prevail the sanity so far :)
Everybody (mostly american christians i assume) are opposing this decision and willing to participate in the campaign to stop this event....

Pakistan Loves Angelina Jolie. | Facebook

I think if Govt stops it, it'll cause more problems.

Read the same news on Yahoo and right now you have 34000 comments supporting this burning... so that'll cause problems for the actual interests of Americans

Thats the most rational page i have come across so far :)
Peoples have managed to prevail the sanity so far :)
Everybody (mostly american christians i assume) are opposing this decision and willing to participate in the campaign to stop this event....

Pakistan Loves Angelina Jolie. | Facebook

Zaki,

I am getting an error message when I click on the link, can you tell us what's in the link?

That is the part people have trouble with. I think it has to do with a culture clash. Like if that happened in a Islamic state it would probably be stopped and the man arrested and tried. People still have trouble with this freedom of speech stuff. They don't understand that it applies to EVERYTHING and you cant adjust it to a majority.
Correct...And crowds chanting 'Death to America' are not helping.

Forgive me but as a Christian i belive this man is shaming us , though he in a huge minority he has no right to disrespect any religion .especiallly one as great as Islam

Forgive me but as a Christian i belive this man is shaming us , though he in a huge minority he has no right to disrespect any religion .especiallly one as great as Islam

Buddy, I think inadvertently you are implying that he has the right to disrespect "not so great" religions.

Its a very subjective assessment what religion qualifies as great.

I am sure Tom Cruise thinks of Scientology as the only great religion :D

What I don't like is that only the poorer Muslim countries show any reaction (afghanistan, pakistan, iran, indonesia etc) and sometimes Turkey. Shouldn't Saudi Arabia be our religious head?

Anyhow, no reaction is better than any reaction...

What I don't like is that only the poorer Muslim countries show any reaction (afghanistan, pakistan, iran, indonesia etc) and sometimes Turkey. Shouldn't Saudi Arabia be our religious head?

Anyhow, no reaction is better than any reaction...

Saudi Arabia is one of the closest allies of US, haven't you seen Saudi royalty exchanging kisses with GW when they visited US?

They wouldn't even utter a word before checking with the US state department.

Shame on America, Jews and the Anti-Defamation League

Amidst the hysteria over the mosque at Ground Zero the hate-mongers have described the name “Cordoba House” as a reference to Muslim designs to attack western culture, hearkening back to the Muslim-Christian wars of domination in medieval Spain. The name was chosen for precisely the opposite reason.

In the 10th century Cordoba was the centre of the most liberal and sophisticated Caliphate in the Islamic world. All religions were not merely tolerated but respected. The Caliph, Abdul Rahman III, had a Jew as his foreign minister and a Greek bishop in his diplomatic corps. He also had a library of 400,000 volumes at a time when the largest library in Christian Europe numbered merely 400 manuscripts.

There were also 70 other smaller libraries in Cordoba. The very reference to Cordoba reflects the sophistication and liberality of the Muslims behind this project. They have changed the name of the centre to the address of the building, Park 51, to deflect criticism. This was unfortunate, since nothing will quiet a hate-monger.

The question which must be asked is why this hysteria? The impetus comes from a triumvirate of right-wing Christians, Jews and politicians. Fundamentalist Christians are still fighting the crusades, still vying to convert the world to their truths. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, to the distress of these Christian proselytisers. What better way to win this battle than to brand all Muslims as terrorists?

Right-wing Jews think that they are doing Israel a favour by painting Islam as a terrorist religion thereby proving that Israel need not negotiate with the Palestinians. This theme is picked up in the right-wing press of Israel. Right-wing Jews in Israel as well as the United States believe that demonising the religion of 1.3 billion people is good for Israel. God help us.
Right-wing politicians join the fray. On Fox News Newt Gingrich compares a mosque at Ground Zero to Nazis protesting at the United States Holocaust Memorial. The Democrats are cowed by the American outpouring of hate and even Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid voices disapproval of the Park 51 site. It’s a perfect storm of hate.

Periodically we go through this in America. The anti-Catholic Know-Nothing party ran ex-president Millard Fillmore in the presidential election of 1856 and garnered 27 per cent of the votes.
The US deported over 10,000 people during the First World War because they opposed its entry into that war and incarcerated loyal Japanese Americans during the Second World War. Now during this “war on terror” I shudder to think where the US is headed.
The tool used in this hate campaign is the concept of collective guilt. Based on that, all Jews are traitors since Ethel and Julius Rosenberg sold out the country. All Christians are terrorists since Timothy McVeigh attacked the federal building in Oklahoma City. Neither are all Muslims traitors nor terrorists.

Islam is not monolithic. Its forms are as varied as Judaism or Christianity. I do not practice Judaism the same as a Satmar Hasidic Jew. A Catholic does not practice Christianity the same as a Jehovah Witness. Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf does not share the same Islamic beliefs as Osama Bin Laden.
Finally, to the role of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and its director, Abe Foxman. The world was literally “shocked”, that’s the word used by the Associated Press, by ADL’s call for the mosque to be moved. Fareed Zakaria of CNN and Newsweek called it a “bizarre decision”. Foxman, a Holocaust survivor, said, “Survivors of the Holocaust are entitled to feelings that are irrational”. Referring to loved ones of the September 11 victims, he continued: “Their anguish entitles them to positions that others would categorise as irrational or bigoted”.

How dare Foxman use the Holocaust to justify prejudice. He does blasphemy to the memory of Jews and other oppressed minorities whose lives were sacrificed on the altar of bigotry. Zakaria responds: “Does Foxman believe that bigotry is OK if people think they’re victims? Does the anguish of Palestinians, then, entitle them to be anti-Semitic?”
The last word was recently written by Daniel Luban, a doctoral student at the University of Chicago, in Tablet Magazine: “While activists like Pam Geller have led the anti-mosque campaign and the broader demonisation of Muslims that has accompanied it, leaders like Abe Foxman have acquiesced in it. In doing so they risk providing an ugly and ironic illustration of the extent of Jewish assimilation in 21st-century America. We know that Jews can grow up to be senators and Supreme Court justices. Let’s not also discover that they can grow up to incite a pogrom”.

Rabbi Warshal is the publisher emeritus of the Jewish Journal and the author of Provocative Columns: A Liberal Rabbi Reflects on Beliefs, Israel & American Politics. Full version of this article can be found at floridajewishjournal.com.
Contributed by The News, Thursday Sep 09 2010

Back
Top Bottom