What's new

US becoming ‘developing country’ on global rankings

Probably a first time I’m hearing from all those who ik live in the US that do not come here thinking life is easier,things are starting to go bad, rent, gas,food and everything is going up.

My schoolmates who went there with financial aid cant conver costs and are forced to live in sharing.

Probably a first time I’m hearing from all those who ik live in the US that do not come here thinking life is easier,things are starting to go bad, rent, gas,food and everything is going up.

My schoolmates who went there with financial aid cant conver costs and are forced to live in sharing.
The reason why prices are going up is because the effective minimum wage went up 50-200% in most parts of the country.

Aka, hyper dutch disease.

Within a few years inflation will be back down and prices will levelize.

Hopefully companies start investing seriously in labor replacement technologies so that the reserve army of labor can be replenished.

If democratic populism doesn't tamp down, inflation might get entrenched though, so that would be pretty bad.

In the West Coast of US, where I live, cheapest Banh Mi is around $5, and up to $8 in pricier restaurants. Talking about Chicken Banh Mi. Bowl of small Pho is $8 as well.

LA is much cheaper then SF. Here a small bowl of pho is around $13

It depends on where you shop. Costco has 2 bread loaves at $6. The whitelabeled bread loaf at local grocery store is $2.50

I can see the rise of China

I do not know what you are smoking on Russia. It is a society that is rotten to the core.
That's $7 after sales tax. And I don't like shopping at Costco, at least not for stuff that go bad in two weeks like bread and fruit.

It's all due to failed neo-liberal economic policies and a turn towards hyper capitalism and plutocracy...

Corporations, the rich elites and the military industrial/security complex have collectively hijacked the government and all the funds/revenews are diverted towards their largesse instead of being spent on the people, infrastructure and development.

That's $7 after sales tax. And I don't like shopping at Costco, at least not for stuff that go bad in two weeks like bread and fruit.

fair enough. most of us are not single. 2 loaves at $3.50 each is not bad. You get white labelled bread loaves at $2.50 pretty much in any decent grocery store.

Baking bread ain't hard. Buy king arthur flour and bake the bread. I have not worked out the economics. I have done it for fun

The US is also now considered a “flawed democracy,” according to The Economist’s democracy index.

As a political historian who studies US institutional development, I recognize these dismal ratings as the inevitable result of two problems. Racism has cheated many Americans out of the health care, education, economic security and environment they deserve. A

I guess the author didn't even bother reading the article she referenced

"...For the second year in a row, the pandemic was the biggest source of strain on democratic freedom around the world. Through lockdowns and travel restrictions, civil liberties were again suspended in both developed democracies and authoritarian regimes."

democracies.png

fair enough. most of us are not single. 2 loaves at $3.50 each is not bad. You get white labelled bread loaves at $2.50 pretty much in any decent grocery store.

Baking bread ain't hard. Buy king arthur flour and bake the bread. I have not worked out the economics. I have done it for fun
Ya there are cheaper options, tho the cheapo bread at my local safeway is usually out of stock. But the point is the same bread I buy now at $7 costs me $3 half a year ago. Same story with eggs and meat. They say inflation is 8% but I don't think anyone actually believes that.

It always has been, when you leave the big famous cities (and even then only the rich parts) it's a whole different world. People only see the fancy parts in movies and on TV.

What are you talking about. It's actually nicer outside of most of the older cities.

One of the main reasons we are considered a developed country is because the areas outside of our cities are developed..while in most countries they are not.

Last edited:
I want to lose weight, so this morning I ate only a small loaf of bread which sold for 2,000 VND at a minimart in Cau Giay district, Hanoi (23,500 VND = 1 USS)
Wow, that is so cheap. What is average Vietnamese wage as today?

What are you talking about. It's actually nicer outside of most of the older cities.

One of the main reasons we are considered a developed country is because the areas outside of our cities are developed..while in most countries they are not.
It's pretty common in rural areas to use wells for water, not have indoor plumbing, and essentially live in not much more than a trailer. Plus limited access to services like healthcare, you can be driving up to 4-5 hours for doctor's appointments. The highway system is well developed that's true.

It's pretty common in rural areas to use wells for water, not have indoor plumbing, and essentially live in not much more than a trailer.

Yes, that is definitely an issue in developing countries...however you can see how we have developed since 1940

"In 1990, only 1 percent of our homes lacked complete plumbing facilities. But, things were much different in 1940, when nearly half lacked complete plumbing. Then, about ten States had rates approaching or exceeding 70 percent. In succeeding decades, the proportion of homes lacking complete plumbing dropped dramatically, falling to about one-third in 1950 and one- sixth in 1960. It is interesting to note the States with the lowest percent- age of such homes in 1940 were higher than Alaska, which topped the 1990 list.

Complete plumbing facilities are defined as hot and cold piped water, a bath- tub or shower, and a flush toilet. In earlier censuses, these facilities must have been for exclusive use of a housing unit's inhabitants; this requirement was dropped in 1990."

Note is says HOT and COLD piped in water.
That means 99% of the people in the US can do this...while in many countries people in cities can't even do it.

That also means we have this ability with our washing machines... again where in many countries people in cities don't have this.

While many in the US do use well water it is piped into their home system just like as if it was from the street...so they aren't running out with a bucket to some town square like you see in old stories/movies.

"17.7 million Americans Live in Mobile Homes which is about 5.6% of the American Population."

Plus limited access to services like healthcare, you can be driving up to 4-5 hours for doctor's appointments. The highway system is well developed that's true.

Again that is true for developing countries but we have solved that too.

"Rural Americans live an average of 10.5 miles from the nearest hospital, compared with 5.6 miles for people in suburban areas and 4.4 for those in urban areas, according to a new Center analysis. Taking local traffic patterns into account, that works out to a travel time of 17 minutes for people who live in rural communities, 12 minutes for those in suburban areas and 10 minutes for those in urban areas."

Last edited:

Try the Brioche Bread from Costco - 2 loaves for $10.00. Great for sandwiches lightly toasted.

I stick one loaf in the refrigerator right away and it keeps for several weeks.

Costco's stuff is expensive I admit - but you can't fault their quality. For anything.

Back
Top Bottom