What's new

US and China dominate US News’ latest university rankings

I think she did naturalized as an American Citizen.

Are you talking about Xi JinPing's daughter?
yeah

I don't know if she naturalized but she is gong to an American University right now.

That is the part I don't totally agree with the previous poster tower9. I think most Asian are in general xenophobic, including myself, I shop in a Chinese Supermarket, I hang out with Chinese, It's comforting, but then I am not planning to stay long, I plan to leave Australia once my study concluded next year.

There is comforting, and there is refusing to integrating into local culture, what the other poster said is "If" you plan to stay in that country, you should integrate fully into the local community. That part I agree.

On the other hand, Chinese are probably quite standout amongst Asian Population as to refusing to integrate, I saw many Vietnamese, Malaysian totally and completely into western culture, married a local, eat and drink like a local, speak English like a local, don't get me wrong, there are still people who too hang up on their old country, no matter where they came from and do what you said, but the number of those people aren't really able to compare with Chinese. I think the only other group that can compare to the Chinese in this group is Indian, which they generally hang out with each other and don't speak a word of English.

Indian have to wear turbans because of religious restriction, the same as Muslim wearing Hijab. You cannot compare this to the stuff that we talk about.

Actually, most Local Born Indian don't care about other Indian, much like Local Aussie don't care about Indian migrant and I am not sure if this is happening here only or not happening in the US, most local born Indian have English (or I should say Anglican) name.

Also, most local born Chinese fare WAY better than most Overseas Chinese in Oz in general, beside those who comes with silver spoon (which I only ever saw 2 with my 6 months here) most Overseas Chinese working in low tier job, I met a girl form China who was a citizen back in 2006 after Uni, and she is still working in the same Chinese restaurant now. And there are a lot of those similar case within new Chinese immigrant. You won't find a ABC who graduate from College in 2006 and is working in a Chinese Restaurant still in 2019.

I don't think "Inferior Complex" is an issue, actually I think the opposite is true, most Overseas Chinese here is actually the one that having an inferior complex problem. Which they think they can't compare with the local, hence don't bother to integrate with the society.

Wrong, I have both very close ABC and Oversea Chinese friends, and I know perfectly well how ABCs feel about themselves, they have inferiority complex and desperately want to fit into the "mainstream" or "white" American society. ABCs are extremely self conscious, they are always afraid of being treated differently by the white people, so they desperately want to dissociate themselves from the oversea Chinese. Oversea Chinese, on the other hand, don't give a flying fck about whether they fit into the mainstream or not, they just act however the fck they like and don't give a crap how white people view them. So the one with inferiority complex are most of the time, ABCs.

yeah

I don't know if she naturalized but she is gong to an American University right now.

Rumour has it she become an US Citizen. I am not sure whether or not it is true or not.

This is quite popular in forum across both side of the river.

Wrong, I have both very close ABC and Oversea Chinese friends, and I know perfectly well how ABCs feel about themselves, they have inferiority complex and desperately want to fit into the "mainstream" or "white" American society. ABCs are extremely self conscious, they are always afraid of being treated differently by the white people, so they desperately want to dissociate themselves from the oversea Chinese. Oversea Chinese, on the other hand, don't give a flying fck about whether they fit into the mainstream or not, they just act however the fck they like and don't give a crap how white people view them. So the one with inferiority complex are most of the time, ABCs.

Well, first of all, there are no right or wrong here when we are talking about perception. I am not sure why "me being wrong" is that important you have to say it first.

I don't know who you are so I cannot judge your observation. I currently live in Australia, so I have first hand experience on both Chinese migrant and Australian born Chinese. As far as the people I know, ABC are better off than local Chinese, of the 10 ABC I know in my course, all of them have a full time job and earning 100k + a year, of the 6 overseas Chinese migrant, only 1 have a full time job working in a warehouse, he did not tell me how much he earn, but I would say it should be less than 50K, all other are working either casual or part time in Chinese restaurant or Chinese supermarket.

You may have different feeling about local born Chinese and overseas Chinese, that does not mean my feeling and observation are any less accurate than your or yours than me.

I have different experience when I was an exchange student in the UK, I was exchanged to the UK twice, once when I was in middle school and the other time I went to University of Exeter for a year of exchange. Both time I met a lot of English friend. I don't have trouble mixing in. Here in Australia, most of my school friend are Australian. And my English is not very good as well.

I guess when it come down to, it's individual experience.

I also want to point out as I said before, most overseas Chinese have inferiority issue, we think we aren't as good as the white people, so we don't want to mix in, the example you quote (Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand), those are all considered inferior to us, that is the reason why we have no problem bonding with those country as oppose to White predominant country like US, UK or Australia.

Well after boarding school, I was accepted at Hatfield Polytechnic (Now called University of Hertfordshire). On the first day met an English guy who was from out of state. We hit out and became buddies for the 4 years. We studied together, drink at the student bar, go for pub crawl, movies etc. Through him I met more English friends until we became a small group. From my observations, me being the only Chinese among a group of English guys was an exception rather then the rule. And I do know other Malaysians and British Indians in my course too.

Maybe time have changed. When I was in UK all of Asia (except Japan) were poor third world countries. You don't get much respect coming from a poor country. You are lucky being born and raise in a already wealthy and developed Hong Kong.

Still fellow Asians become friend so much easier. After I graduated I toured Europe with 3 other Indians from my course before returning to Malaysia !

Well after boarding school, I was accepted at Hatfield Polytechnic (Now called University of Hertfordshire). On the first day met an English guy who was from out of state. We hit out and became buddies for the 4 years. We studied together, drink at the student bar, go for pub crawl, movies etc. Through him I met more English friends until we became a small group. From my observations, me being the only Chinese among a group of English guys was an exception rather then the rule. And I do know other Malaysians and British Indians in my course too.

Maybe time have changed. When I was in UK all of Asia (except Japan) were poor third world countries. You don't get much respect coming from a poor country. You are lucky being born and raise in a already wealthy and developed Hong Kong.

Still fellow Asians become friend so much easier. After I graduated I toured Europe with 3 other Indians from my course before returning to Malaysia !

I think it quite depends on the school itself, not sure how your experience goes, but for me, I got paired up with an aussie as a roommate (as I live in university housing, I don't get to choose who I room with...) And most project are also force paired, I would probably go for Chinese Classmate too if I have a choice, but when they do it, they specifically pair you up with a person with different gender and/or different cultural background. Which is the reason I hang out with different people, Aussie, Arabs, Chinese and European.

Not sure if the money or being poor is an issue, I am not really that rich as well, but I seems okay, maybe time does change? I don't know.

Wrong, I have both very close ABC and Oversea Chinese friends, and I know perfectly well how ABCs feel about themselves, they have inferiority complex and desperately want to fit into the "mainstream" or "white" American society

How is this a different situation from all the other groups in the world who come to the US?

How is this a different situation from all the other groups in the world who come to the US?

the difference is Chinese born in the US are more desperately wanting to "fit in" than chinese who come in later. The insecurity from these American born Chinese are tremendous.

the difference is Chinese born in the US are more desperately wanting to "fit in" than chinese who come in later. The insecurity from these American born Chinese are tremendous.

Then I would tend to believe things like this would be shared by other groups as well. I doubt you guys have a monopoly on this. Plus the US isn’t 99.99% white so it’s not like Chinese people feel like a “lone rowboat” in a “sea-full of yachts” as foreigners do in China.

Of course there may be some innate “pack mentality” at play here where Chinese are generally far more comfortable in crowds vs being alone (which is generally the opposite of most white people)

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that Chinese universities en masse are challenging the dominance of American universities. Maybe a couple like Tsinghua and Peking University may be able to compete with the world's best, but I doubt that the majority stock of Chinese universities are world class otherwise why would tons of Chinese students continue to get their graduate studies done at America's esteemed colleges?
You answered you own question, “esteemed” reputation, it doesn’t matter if two educational value is equal when one is more “useful” globally as far as getting hired into international organisations

Back
Top Bottom