What's new

US and China dominate US News’ latest university rankings

They didn't do anything to me except just being obnoxious. But that's just how the culture in China is, they don't even realize they are being obnoxious and annoying. I just don't like their attitudes.

Understand. If you have to work your *** out to buy your first car 2nd hand while they are buying brand new Lamborghini, BMW, etc, no sweat.

Understand. If you have to work your *** out to buy your first car 2nd hand while they are buying brand new Lamborghini, BMW, etc, no sweat.

I wouldn't even care about that if they were just warm, interesting, honorable, charming human beings. But they are not. They are arrogant, obnoxious, rude, anti-social and stay in their bubbles. They need to just leave.

Remeber gordon chang? the worst kind of China bashers are white wannabes.

Its different in this case. Younger generation of ABC are those whose parents immigrated (legally or illegally) to the West 20-30 years too early, the "lost generation". They miss the best 30 years of China, and they are still CHINESE in the foreign land. Had their parents immigrated 20-30 later, they could be the one they are hating right now.

In the other word, they are the Product of the time, only on the losing side, thus, the bitterness.

I wouldn't even care about that if they were just warm, interesting, honorable, charming human beings. But they are not. They are arrogant, obnoxious, rude, anti-social and stay in their bubbles. They need to just leave.

Well, you should run for office, so you can have some say getting them out of here.

Its different in this case. Younger generation of ABC are those whose parents immigrated (legally or illegally) to the West 20-30 years too early, the "lost generation". They miss the best 30 years of China, and they are still CHINESE in the foreign land. Had their parents immigrated 20-30 later, they could be the one they are hating right now.

In the other word, they are the Product of the time, only on the losing side, thus, the bitterness.
Well, you should run for office, so you can have some say getting them out of here.

Not really sure if this is the same in the US, but in Australia. Local born Chinese usually hated Chinese immigrant. Mostly because these immigrant gave them bad name.

These people are loud, rude, and mostly stay within their group. Most ABC (Australian Born Chinese) hated these people, because they would also be see as loud, rude and xenophobic by association.

And no, most ABC, be it first generation or second generation, usually identify themselves Australian, if you ask them,, they will think they are the same with the blond and blue eyes person sitting next to them, no difference..

It is not about time, but rather the ability to integrate into the community. While I am not totally agree the point of the other person, but I do agree, if you migrate to another country, you should integrate into local society, and what I mean "Migrate" does not just mean permanent migration, but also long stays, such as work visa or student visa holder.

Not really sure if this is the same in the US, but in Australia. Local born Chinese usually hated Chinese immigrant. Mostly because these immigrant gave them bad name.

These people are loud, rude, and mostly stay within their group. Most ABC (Australian Born Chinese) hated these people, because they would also be see as loud, rude and xenophobic by association.

And no, most ABC, be it first generation or second generation, usually identify themselves Australian, if you ask them,, they will think they are the same with the blond and blue eyes person sitting next to them, no difference..

It is not about time, but rather the ability to integrate into the community. While I am not totally agree the point of the other person, but I do agree, if you migrate to another country, you should integrate into local society, and what I mean "Migrate" does not just mean permanent migration, but also long stays, such as work visa or student visa holder.
To be honest what you say is also true of other East Asians too. I have been to LA. Have a cousin (From Hong Kong) living there. They eat at Chinese restaurant, shop at Chinese supermarket, watch Chinese cable TV. Listen to Chinese U radio. Live in neighborhood full of Asians. Hire a Japanese gardener. Heck another younger cousin was even worried about her son English ability on his first day at school.

And have you been to Little Saigon ? Nobody speak English there. I have met many 1st generation Vietnamese many were refugees some from Malaysia. They live in US 20 to 30 years. Still I cannot have any in depth conversation with them in English. It's impossible.

Last edited:

That's because some of ABCs have the inferior complex to begin with, and they are sensitive to how others see them. Indians are very loud, and they eat carry, they proudly wear their turbans everywhere, and most of them don't even bother to have a Western name just for the convenience of others. Yet, I don't see them hating new comers this much.

To be honest what you say is also true of other East Asians too. I have been to LA. Have a cousin (From Hong Kong) living there. They eat at Chinese restaurant, shop at Chinese supermarket, watch Chinese cable TV. Listen to Chinese U radio. Live in neighborhood full of Asians. Hire a Japanese gardener. Heck another younger cousin was even worried about her son English ability on his first day at school.

And have you been to Little Saigon ? Nobody speak English there. I have met many 1st generation Vietnamese many were refugees some from Malaysia. They live in US 20 to 30 years. Still I cannot have any in depth conversation with them in English. It's impossible.

That is the part I don't totally agree with the previous poster tower9. I think most Asian are in general xenophobic, including myself, I shop in a Chinese Supermarket, I hang out with Chinese, It's comforting, but then I am not planning to stay long, I plan to leave Australia once my study concluded next year.

There is comforting, and there is refusing to integrating into local culture, what the other poster said is "If" you plan to stay in that country, you should integrate fully into the local community. That part I agree.

On the other hand, Chinese are probably quite standout amongst Asian Population as to refusing to integrate, I saw many Vietnamese, Malaysian totally and completely into western culture, married a local, eat and drink like a local, speak English like a local, don't get me wrong, there are still people who too hang up on their old country, no matter where they came from and do what you said, but the number of those people aren't really able to compare with Chinese. I think the only other group that can compare to the Chinese in this group is Indian, which they generally hang out with each other and don't speak a word of English.

That's because some of ABCs have the inferior complex to begin with, and they are sensitive to how others see them. Indians are very loud, and they eat carry, they proudly wear their turbans everywhere, and most of them don't even bother to have a Western name just for the convenience of others. Yet, I don't see them hating new comers this much.

Indian have to wear turbans because of religious restriction, the same as Muslim wearing Hijab. You cannot compare this to the stuff that we talk about.

Actually, most Local Born Indian don't care about other Indian, much like Local Aussie don't care about Indian migrant and I am not sure if this is happening here only or not happening in the US, most local born Indian have English (or I should say Anglican) name.

Also, most local born Chinese fare WAY better than most Overseas Chinese in Oz in general, beside those who comes with silver spoon (which I only ever saw 2 with my 6 months here) most Overseas Chinese working in low tier job, I met a girl form China who was a citizen back in 2006 after Uni, and she is still working in the same Chinese restaurant now. And there are a lot of those similar case within new Chinese immigrant. You won't find a ABC who graduate from College in 2006 and is working in a Chinese Restaurant still in 2019.

I don't think "Inferior Complex" is an issue, actually I think the opposite is true, most Overseas Chinese here is actually the one that having an inferior complex problem. Which they think they can't compare with the local, hence don't bother to integrate with the society.

That is the part I don't totally agree with the previous poster tower9. I think most Asian are in general xenophobic, including myself, I shop in a Chinese Supermarket, I hang out with Chinese, It's comforting, but then I am not planning to stay long, I plan to leave Australia once my study concluded next year.

There is comforting, and there is refusing to integrating into local culture, what the other poster said is "If" you plan to stay in that country, you should integrate fully into the local community. That part I agree.

On the other hand, Chinese are probably quite standout amongst Asian Population as to refusing to integrate, I saw many Vietnamese, Malaysian totally and completely into western culture, married a local, eat and drink like a local, speak English like a local, don't get me wrong, there are still people who too hang up on their old country, no matter where they came from and do what you said, but the number of those people aren't really able to compare with Chinese. I think the only other group that can compare to the Chinese in this group is Indian, which they generally hang out with each other and don't speak a word of English.
Errr not entirely true. Its not about 1st generation immigrant wanting to integrate. But whether the local white population want to integrate with you. And chances are they do not. Maybe exception are Americans who are more open.

I was 17 when I entered UK to study in a boarding school. In the 2 years I was in the school I have not one English friend. They do not want to mix with you. Especially when you speak Malaysian English which they find it funny and hard to understand. They just make fun at you. So I stick with people my kind like HongKonger and other Malaysians. English are very very conservative people and I think Australians may only be slightly better.

Yes, Americans are more open but still see alot of Asians sticking to themselves. Taiwanese, Hong Konger, Vietnamese included.

Actually in Asia, Chinese integrate very well in Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand because of similar culture or religion. But not Indonesia and Malaysia.

So it depend country to country. Culture to culture and Religion. Government policy also have influences.

Just my opinion.

they have some pretty shitty and obnoxious cultural attitudes. They are also pretty materialistic and closed minded.
Obnoxious, annoying, anti-social, greedy, selfish people.
they don't even realize they are being obnoxious and annoying. I just don't like their attitudes.
I wouldn't even care about that if they were just warm, interesting, honorable, charming human beings. But they are not. They are arrogant, obnoxious, rude, anti-social and stay in their bubbles.
The irony is strong with this one.

Stop derailing the thread with your infantile tantrum.

Errr not entirely true. Its not about 1st generation immigrant wanting to integrate. But whether the local white population want to integrate with you. And chances are they do not. Maybe exception are Americans who are more open.

I was 17 when I entered UK to study in a boarding school. In the 2 years I was in the school I have not one English friend. They do not want to mix with you. Especially when you speak Malaysian English which they find it funny and hard to understand. They just make fun at you. So I stick with people my kind like HongKonger and other Malaysians. English are very very conservative people and I think Australians may only be slightly better.

Yes, Americans are more open but still see alot of Asians sticking to themselves. Taiwanese, Hong Konger, Vietnamese included.

Actually in Asia, Chinese integrate very well in Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand because of similar culture or religion. But not Indonesia and Malaysia.

So it depend country to country. Culture to culture and Religion. Government policy also have influences.

Just my opinion.

I have different experience when I was an exchange student in the UK, I was exchanged to the UK twice, once when I was in middle school and the other time I went to University of Exeter for a year of exchange. Both time I met a lot of English friend. I don't have trouble mixing in. Here in Australia, most of my school friend are Australian. And my English is not very good as well.

I guess when it come down to, it's individual experience.

I also want to point out as I said before, most overseas Chinese have inferiority issue, we think we aren't as good as the white people, so we don't want to mix in, the example you quote (Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand), those are all considered inferior to us, that is the reason why we have no problem bonding with those country as oppose to White predominant country like US, UK or Australia.

Back
Top Bottom