What's new

Featured US agents enter Chinese consulate compound in Houston after deadline for closure passes

Xi Jinping came to power in 2013. His behavior did not change from 2013 to 2020. The first policy change was by the US, not China. Also, US threatened consequences for working with Huawei first. Tit for tat. Everything China does is a very limited, measured and proportional response to egregious provocation.
Even then you can understand why the US has become so hostile towards China right? Immediately after Xi Jinping came to power, China became much more assertive, not just in the SCS, but also economically such as the Made in China 2025 plan. These all threaten the dominance of the United States so naturally it would react very unfavorably. Had China been much more low key about all of this, I don't think relations would have become so frosty. The "Chinese Dream" was promoted incessantly, which did not help with the US either. When a dominant power becomes threatened, what does it do? I have no doubt that if China were the dominant power and the US in China's position, China would do the exact same to preserve her lead. I doubt the US would have wanted to turn relations so badly if the threat of China eclipsing her was not there (hence why no action was done on China over the past two decades). The low key foreign policy of Hu Jintao, Jiang Zemin, and Deng Xiaoping really helped mask this threat and reinforced the message of peaceful Chinese development. But Xi Jinping's foreign policy is an obvious 180 from theirs (Wolf Warrior diplomacy is really not beneficial). By promoting China's prowess and ambitions internationally, you can see why the US would feel compelled to act.

Last edited:
USA has lost its Chengdu consulate, it means USA will find it more difficult to spy on China's aviation programmes.

Also, can Pakistan do the same? Evict the USA and take over their consulate? I hear the one in Islamabad is massive! Pick up a modern office for free?
This has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Even then you can understand why the US has become so hostile towards China right? Immediately after Xi Jinping came to power, China became much more assertive, not just in the SCS, but also economically such as the Made in China 2025 plan. These all threaten the dominance of the United States so naturally it would react very unfavorably. Had China been much more low key about all of this, I don't think relations would have become so frosty. The "Chinese Dream" was promoted incessantly, which did not help with the US either. When a dominant power becomes threatened, what does it do? I have no doubt that if China were the dominant power and the US in China's position, China would do the exact same to preserve her lead. I doubt the US would have wanted to turn relations so badly if the threat of China eclipsing her was not there (hence why no action was done on China over the past two decades). The low key foreign policy of Hu Jintao, Jiang Zemin, and Deng Xiaoping really helped mask this threat and reinforced the message of peaceful Chinese development. But Xi Jinping's foreign policy is an obvious 180 from theirs (Wolf Warrior diplomacy is really not beneficial). By promoting China's prowess and ambitions internationally, you can see why the US would feel compelled to act.

Xi Jinping only began Wolf Warrior diplomacy in 2019 as a reaction.

Made in China 2025 is an internal development plan. It is like Germany's Industrie 4.0. Why is US threatened by China's internal development?

Xi Jinping only began Wolf Warrior diplomacy in 2019 as a reaction.

Made in China 2025 is an internal development plan. It is like Germany's Industrie 4.0. Why is US threatened by China's internal development?
Not just internal. Made in China 2025 if successful would basically give China tech dominance in all vital areas. That would be a huge threat to US economic interests if you think about it ... other countries would purchase from China instead due to superior technology. In the Cold War, the US only had to worry about the Soviet's military because they did not really have any other civilian technologies competing with the US (e.g. semiconductor chips, telecom technology). Today, the US has to compete with China both economically and militarily. This is the threat to the US.

Not just internal. Made in China 2025 if successful would basically give China tech dominance in all vital areas. That would be a huge threat to US economic interests if you think about it ... other countries would purchase from China instead due to superior technology. In the Cold War, the US only had to worry about the Soviet's military because they did not really have any other civilian technologies competing with the US (e.g. semiconductor chips, telecom technology). Today, the US has to compete with China both economically and militarily. This is the threat to the US.

then the goals cannot be reconciled.

China's goal is to eliminate poverty. China has no excess resources. The only way for China to eliminate poverty is improve industrial value added.

US does not want China to improve industrial value added. Thus, based on your logic, the end goal of the US is for China to become impoverished.

When a dog bite you, will you bite back? Of course you will pick up a thick stick and beat the dog.

The US is stabbing itself and destroying its international credibility as a state. The US is fast becoming a rogue state armed with nukes and a massive military budget.

Back
Top Bottom