What's new

UNSC permanent seat for India

I dont think India is going to become a permanent member of UNSC at least for 2 decades..... I am sure policy makers knows it pretty well....

I guess what India should do is, concentrate on its internal problems, and improve the quality of life of people and improve the economy...... If you have a sizable economy and if you grow consistently, that will ensure countries around the world recognize and take you seriously.... More over i don't think Indian foreign policy is matured enough to play in International politics.....

These days what significance UNSC has? Or just compare its significance 30 years back and now, you will get an answer

Also, going forward 10, 20 years, how does UK or even France hold relevance in such an elite league when they will most likely not possess the power to back their position?

UK and France are still the #6 and $5 economies respectively, larger than that of India, and higher per capita GDP than #3 economy, Japan.

They command huge political influence compared to larger economies such as Japan due to their influence over commonwealth, former colonies, European Union, and international organizations such as Olympics (founding counties), UN (founding nations), IMF, World Bank, ect.

They also process huge soft power due to their rich history, and their prominent position as leaders of the western civilization. France had 83 million visitors, the largest of any country compared to 6.8 million for India. Developing countries look up to France and UK because of their development aid offer, top ranked universities, high quality of life, ect.

In the military sphere, they are both nuclear powers with a blue water navy (albeit smaller than it should be). They have the 5th and 6th largest military expenditure in the world (USA 600, China 122, Russia 68, Saudi 60, UK 57, France 52, Japan 51, Germany 44, India 36), and part of the most powerful military alliance in the world.

UK and France are still certified major powers, a position that many would argue India has yet arrive (India is considered a middle power). The only way for them to lose their major power status is if they become too much of a dog of the USA in the future, and lack any legitimate independent domestic and foreign policy.

UK and France are still the #6 and $5 economies respectively, larger than that of India, and higher per capita GDP than #3 economy, Japan.

They command huge political influence compared to larger economies such as Japan due to their influence over commonwealth, former colonies, European Union, and international organizations such as Olympics (founding counties), UN (founding nations), IMF, World Bank, ect.

They also process huge soft power due to their rich history, and their prominent position as leaders of the western civilization. France had 83 million visitors, the largest of any country compared to 6.8 million for India. Developing countries look up to France and UK because of their development aid offer, top ranked universities, high quality of life, ect.

In the military sphere, they are both nuclear powers with a blue water navy (albeit smaller than it should be). They have the 5th and 6th largest military expenditure in the world (USA 600, China 122, Russia 68, Saudi 60, UK 57, France 52, Japan 51, Germany 44, India 36), and part of the most powerful military alliance in the world.

UK and France are still certified major powers, a position that many would argue India has yet arrive (India is considered a middle power). The only way for them to lose their major power status is if they become too much of a dog of the USA in the future, and lack any legitimate independent domestic and foreign policy.
It will take 2 decades for India to make a strong case for itself when it becomes the third largest economy, 4th largest military among other aspects.
Till then, we are all show and low substance.

Ok, so what's the big deal of a permanent seat in the SC? As if that's gonna reduce poverty, corruption, lack of health care and education, etc in India.

And the price of my daily bread including tomatoes would still be unaffordable, whether India gets a fukin' permanent seat in the SC or not. The common man would still be screwed!

It's all about joining an exclusive club to score brownie points. No one bothers much about UN Resolutions any more! They've become a joke. The once great UNO has degenerated into a lame duck organization.

It will take 2 decades for India to make a strong case for itself when it becomes the third largest economy, 4th largest military among other aspects.
Till then, we are all show and low substance.

And the best part is India knows this.... But may be this efforts are build up for the actual show (if it happens) which might happen 20 years later......

But the bigger question is... What would be the significance of UNSC 20 years from now..... I see it going down every year.....

If there are shortage of SEATS that is hurting India's chances than we are ready to BRING our own SEAT :D

And the best part is India knows this.... But may be this efforts are build up for the actual show (if it happens) which might happen 20 years later......

But the bigger question is... What would be the significance of UNSC 20 years from now..... I see it going down every year.....
Ofcourse. It will take that long of lobbying to sink it in the world. Its not as if after 20 years if we demand it it will happen. We are definitely building up to it.

As long as we keep building our economy, we are reaching to it, if we fail on that front, all is lost.

I don't see India becoming a permanent member of UNSC for another 20+ years.

We all know it. This is building the base for when our economy, our military becomes one of the largest and strongest in the world. That would take 2 decades.

We are not expecting either...... There are lot of things to do before reaching there..... Over a period of time UNSC will be behaving like our governments..... Only elites are part of governement and they rule the poor, and here, the Elite nations rule the world and most of the world have no say in it.....

Sorry to burst this bubble and let me be blunt here...... it isn't happening........... not in our lifetimes at least!

That is more probable than India becoming a permanent member, or for that matter, any sort of expansion happening........ nothing will happen.......... absolutely nothing.............

Why UNSC getting dissolved ?

That is more probable than India becoming a permanent member, or for that matter, any sort of expansion happening........ nothing will happen.......... absolutely nothing.............

Yes there are chances of that..... and the 5 permanent members not allowing for an expansion..... But 20 or 30 years down the line there will be other nations (let us assume that india will never grow to that potential as you sound here) which is much powerful than few of those 5 members, There will be countries which might represent higher population, and all this will reduce the significance of UNSC..... If no expansion, then the UNSC will become a dummy body with 5 nations vetoing each other

Back
Top Bottom