What's new

Universality of Islam

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Universality of Islam

By Sidrah Unis

THE world has seen a large variety of religions, beliefs and doctrines wherein some were Divine revealed to the Prophets through Holy Books. Islam is the last of these religions and was revealed by Allah to the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) through the Quran.

One of the chief attributes of Islam is its universality i.e. it is for the entire mankind: “And We have sent you (O Muhammad) not but as a mercy for the Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists).” (21: 107); “And We have not sent you (O Muhammad) except as a giver of glad tidings and a warner to all mankind, but most of men know not.” (34: 28)

Mankind has been directly addressed in the Holy Quran at quite a few places: “O mankind, Fear your Lord and be dutiful to Him! Verily, the earthquake of the Hour (of Judgment) is a terrible thing.” (22: 01) “O Mankind! Verily, the Promise of Allah is true. So let not this present life deceive you, and let not the chief deceiver (Satan) deceive you about Allah.” (35: 05) “O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another.” (49: 13).

Islam has continued to maintain its universal nature by laying down only those broader principles in the Quran which being fundamental in nature cannot go obsolete with time. Details have been laid down through the sunnah of the Prophet, and keeping in view the needs of changing times, ijtihad or reasoning has been introduced, whereby new principles can be formulated to suit new situations provided

the same do not contravene the fundamentals of Islam which have been laid down in the Holy Book.

Islam emerged in Saudi Arabia and the Holy Quran was revealed in Arabic but later it spread far and wide. The names of the chapters in the Quran do not always have Arabic origin or reference, for that matter and this further serves to prove the universality of Islam. Chapters have been named after Noah, Joseph, Luqman and also The Romans.The narrations in the Quran throw light on the bygone days of nations and civilizations and the disputes, miseries and dangers which plagued the same. It describes the lot of the helpless poor who were often at the mercy of the rich who were cruel and indifferent to the sufferings of the oppressed. It reveals the conflict between good and evil, monotheism and polytheism i.e. shirk.

The Holy Prophet has been granted the status of the last prophet of Allah. The process of divine revelation has been concluded with the Holy Prophet who has been sent as a guide for all men: “This day I have perfected your religion for you and completed My favour upon you and have chosen Islam as religion for you.” (5: 03) “Obey Allah and obey the prophet, but if you turn away, he (Messenger Muhammad) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allah’s Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance…” (24: 54). See also (21: 107), (34: 28).

Earlier, different prophets brought different messages for their people. Owing to the prevailing conditions, the Divine message could be given to only a particular set of people in a given time.

Revelation stands perfected through Islam. In fact, earlier scriptures have made due reference to the advent of the Prophet of Islam; in the Bible, Jesus had said: ‘I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now…He will guide you unto all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but of whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak’ (John 16: 12-13).

Further, the New Testament affirms the above: ‘Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began’ (Acts, 3: 21).

The Holy Quran has itself confirmed the same; “And (remember) when Isa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: “O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allah unto you, confirming the Taurat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed. But when he (Ahmed, i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: ‘This is plain magic’.” (61: 06)

The Prophet of Islam has propagated a religion meant for all people irrespective of geographical or racial differences. Thus Islam does not differentiate on the basis of class, colour or creed. The Holy Prophet once said, “No one is superior to another except in point of faith and piety. All men are descended from Adam and Adam was made of clay.”

Further, the teachings of Islam are not difficult to follow by any man and it has been so perfected as to create ease for people; “Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you.” (2: 185); “Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope.” (2: 286)

Universality of Islam has been further avowed by laying down that sovereignty belongs to God: “Blessed is He in Whose hand is the Sovereignty, and He is Possessor of power over all things.” (67: 01); “…He is Allah, (the) One. [Allah- the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)]. He begets not, nor was He begotten. And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.” (112: 1-4); “To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He creates what he wills...” (42: 49) “The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).” (1: 04)

The basic principle of Islam is that all human beings must, both individually and collectively, submit to the will of Allah: “He has commanded that you worship none but Him (i.e. His Monotheism); that is the (true) straight religion, but most men know not.” (12: 40) The sovereignty exercised by the rulers on earth is a sacred trust bestowed on them by God: “Then We appointed you viceroys in the land after them that We might see how you behave.” (10: 14)

“…Seek help in Allah and be patient. Verily, the earth is Allah’s. He gives it as a heritage to whom He wills of his Slaves; and the (blessed) end is for the Muttaqun (the pious)” (7: 128); “And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: “Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth….” (2: 30);

Islam wishes to bring in its fold all people, regardless of social status or colour of the skin and further aims to unite all of mankind; it seeks to remove all differences of caste and creed created by various man-made social systems and customs.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/04/ed.htm#4

Back
Top Bottom